Since four years, the film undertaking of the Chinese people has gained major developments. Already issued feature films and documentary films have reflected the new life and history of struggle of our country’s people, some films have already achieved relatively high ideological and artistic levels, and received the love of the broad masses. Films have exhibited their importance every day in the cause of educating the people with patriotic and Socialist spirits and in satisfying the broad masses’ cultural requirements.
But, at present, the quantity and quality of film products cannot yet satisfy the broad masses’ requirements. The main factor creating this sort of situation is a grave lack of film scripts, this issue is undoubtedly caused by the fact that there are insufficient full-time film playwrights and their are insufficiently skilled professionally, but even more importantly, it is because of a lack of clear film production policy and film production plans geared to reality, and because all effective measures to attract large amounts of literary and artistic writers to vigorously participate in film script creation, and organizing and guiding creation with correct methods could not have been adapted yet. In order to improve film production work in the future, the following is hereby decided:
I, The policies and tasks for film production
In view of the fact that film art has an extremely broad mass nature, and has an important function in the education and cultural entertainment of the masses, hereafter, we must suit the requirements of the broad masses, progressively raise the ideological and artistic levels of films, and at the same time strive to increase the quantity of film products. In film art creation, on the one hand, we must oppose the phenomenon of rough and shoddy production, on the other hand, we can also not have overly high requirements that are removed from reality and inappropriate. We should strive to diversify film themes, content and display forms, all film genres shall be given appropriate regard. First and foremost, we should strengthen the production of feature films, truthfully express all aspects of the life and struggle of the people of our country in the past and the present, and especially express the people’s new lives, and the glorious image od creating new and advanced characters. Apart from feature films, we should produce documentary and scientific education films in a more planned manner; produce rural feature films that are easy to understand, suited to the needs of peasants, in order to guarantee sufficient quantities of rural screening programmes; and produce children’s films suited to the requirements of the broad children. News documentary films should report the achievements of our country’s people in the undertakings of Socialist industrialization and Socialist transformation and the contributions to the undertaking of maintaining work peace in a more timely and truthful manner, and film the motherland’s beautiful rivers and mountains, scenic spots, historic sites, important assets and cultural relics in a more planned manner. Scientific education films should explain natural phenomena and social phenomena with a materialist worldview, and at the same time propagate and disseminate all sorts of scientific and technological knowledge that relates to the masses’ daily lives and production, and are suited to the levels of the common masses. Translated films from the Soviet Union and people’s democratic countries should occupy an appropriate proportion of overall film production, further increase the quality of dubbing work, increase the necessary subtitles and explanations, in order to make it easy for the broad audiences to understand them.
In the next four years, the annual film production tasks are generally stipulated as follows:
Large-scale feature films: 20 to 205 and a certain quantity of rural feature films, children’s films, art films and stage artistry documentary films.
Large-scale documentary films: 10, and short documentary films: 20 or more. Short news films: one per week.
Scientific education films: 15 or more.
Translated films imported from the Soviet Union and people’s democratic countries and capitalist countries are to mainly maintain an equal balance to domestic films (including feature films and documentary films).
II, Film theme planning formulation and film script creation organization work
Film theme planning must be formulated on the basis of the requirements of the broad audiences and the real situation of playwright strength. In theme selection, the scope should be broadened, and at the same time, attention should be paid to variety in genre and form. Apart from organizing new creation, modern and old excellent literary works that are loved by the people should be used as much as possible for transformation into film scripts. In few of the fact that some works expressing important themes require a relatively long time of creation preparation work, theme planning must be formulated for two or three years or even longer time.
In the organization work of film script creation, that sort of simple administrative leadership methods from the past must be changed. Film script writers should be assisted in all areas to raise ideological and artistic levels, grasp film art forms, and they should be govern concrete guidance and assistance in a timely manner in the process of joint creation. The Chinese Writers’ Association must adopt all effective measures to organize literary and artistic writers nationwide to vigorously participate in film script creation, and young writers should be encouraged to study the writing of film script. The Central Ministry of Culture Film Bureau has established regular and close relationship with the Writers’ Association, the film script creation office of the Central Ministry of Culture should become an effective organ for broad linkage with and organization of writers nationwide to create film scripts. newspapers and periodicals should regularly publish film criticism having an ideological nature; literary and art magazines should select and publish excellent literary film scripts.
In formulating film theme planning and organizing script creation, the full assistance and guidance of the relevant departments of the Central People’s Government, the People’s Liberation Army General Political Department, labour unions, the Youth League and other people’s organizations must be obtained, all relevant parties must give regard to and be good at using films as powerful propaganda tools in the work of their departments, and provide full assistance in theme selection, policy, ideology, human power and materials.
III, Film script and film examination systems
In view of the fact that procedures for examination work of film scripts and films in the past where onerous and complicated, and responsible were unclear, henceforth, a unified and concentrated examination system with hierarchical responsibilities must be realistically set up. Feature film scripts, large scale documentary film shooting outlines and completed films should all be subject to earnest and complete preliminary examination by the Central Ministry of Culture Film Bureau, and examination and approval by the Central Ministry of Culture. After approval of feature films scripts, the Film Bureau shall earnestly examine the shooting script, and as much as possible avoid that major revisions need to be made after completion of film shooting. Scripts of other film varieties or shooting outlines and completed films, apart from special circumstances, are generally examined and approved by the Film Bureau. When examining scripts of and finished large-scale feature films, large-scale documentary films and short films with some special significance, the close cooperation from the main leaders of relevant departments must be obtained, and basic agreement on the examination opinion sought. The annual film script theme planning and scripts or shooting outlines with a major political nature should be submitted to the CCP Central Propaganda Department for examination.
IV, Transforming film production systems and raising technological quality
The Film Bureau and all subordinate film studios must strengthen ideological and artistic guidance over film production work, and at the same time strengthen enterprise management, implement cost accounting, overcome the phenomenon of waste, and achieve that it is guaranteed that film products have a certain quality and costs are reduced. Standard shooting times for all sorts of films must be stipulated, changing the past unreasonable phenomenon of ignoring when the script reaches the studio, and whether the shooting time is long, but dashing to issue films before the end of the year in order to complete annual planning, and gradually ensure the orderly and monthly production of films. Film technology quality must be progressively raised and new development workrooms installed in all film studios, to ensure that film development reaches certain standards. At the same time, prepare conditions to strive to build new film studios within three to five years in order to be able to produce colour feature films in a planned manner.
V, Raising, fostering and supplementing film cadres.
In order to guarantee film production plans and the raising of film quality, improving and fostering the existing film art cadres and appropriately supplement required cadres are a crucial issue. therefore, the following measures must be adopted:
(1) the Chinese Writers’ Association should assist the Film Bureau in formulating relatively long-term theme plans, organize writers to create film scripts, and though literature training institutes or adopting other measures, attract young literature and art workers to study film script creation. All large region’s Writer’s Associations and all main provincial city Cultural Federations should mobilize and organize existing literature and art writers to vigorously participate in film script creation work. The Film Bureau should also foster a batch of young playwrights that are relatively well acquainted with film art forms in a planned manner. Furthermore, news documentary film and scientific education film editors should be suitably supplemented and fostered.
(2) The Film Bureau should organize existing film art cadres to conduct regular political and professional study during artistic practice, and integrate creative needs into learning about the masses’ lives through practice, ensuring that their study, life practice and creative practice is appropriately integrated. Regard must be given to existing specialist film talents, and they must be assisted to obtain new artistic viewpoints and methods in real creation, at the same time, with the help of their accomplishment and experience, new film art talents must be assisted and fostered.
(3) The Film Bureau should adopt appropriate methods to attract young theatre cadres to foster vice-directors and directors’ assistants through apprenticeship methods, in order to prepare for a large number of directing talents that will be needed urgently for all film varieties in the future. On the basis of real needs, appropriately attract military artistic cadres though the People’s Liberation Army General Political Department to be in charge of military film vice-director and director’s assistance work, to progressively foster a batch of qualified military affairs feature film directing talents.
(4) Film studios shall in a selective and focused manner, attract excellent drama performers from all regions to participate in film production work; all theatres and theatre troupes should forcefully cooperate in the supply of actors required for film production.
(5) The Film Bureau should strengthen film actor and troupe work, ensure that film actors receive planned study and stage performance practice in the periods between film production, raising performance artistry; furthermore, the Film Bureau should also vigorously prepare conditions to strive to set up a film art academy within the next four to five years, with the specific responsibility of fostering film art talents, first and foremost being playwrights, directors and actors.
(6) In order to strengthen film production units’ political leadership and production management, and guide directors to concentrate their efforts and devotion on creative work, the Central Ministry of Culture shall, in consultation with relevant parties, transfer some relatively strong cadres to participate in film production work, and gradually establish a film production responsibility system.