General Administration of Press and Publications
Doing the proofreading work of newspapers, periodicals and books well is an important method to strengthen and improve press and publications management. Its task is to understand the content of newspapers, periodicals and books, to grasp publishing trends; researching the prominent advances or tendentious problems emerging in the publishing of newspapers, periodicals and books; providing situations and suggestions to leadership at higher level related to newspapers, periodicals and books, in order to conduct supervision and macro-level guidance over newspaper, periodical and book publishing work, assist newspaper publishers, periodical publishers and book publishers to summarize experiences, raise the quality of newspapers, periodicals and books, and stimulate the flourishing and development of Socialist science and culture. To this end, the following is notified:
I, The Administration of Press and Publication’s Newspaper Bureau, Periodical Bureau and Book Bureau, as well as all provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus should deploy a certain number of personnel responsible for proofreading work; they must also adopt many kinds of methods to appoint some people who have proofreading abilities and are happy to participate in proofreading, let them become organized, and conduct proofreading of publications together with specialist proofreaders of the Administration and bureaus.
II, All provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus are responsible for proofreading newspapers, periodicals and books published in their locality, and to conduct focus proofreading of newspapers, periodicals and books that have a relatively large national or local influence.
III, The main content of proofreading is:
1. whether or not the content of books, newspapers and periodical persists in one “centre” and two “basic points”; whether or not it implements the Party’s line, principles and policies;
2. whether or not all newspaper publishers, periodical publishers and book publishers have persisted in the original purpose and policy for publishing newspapers, periodicals or books; whether or not publishers have persists in the originally-decided specialist division of work;
3. whether or not the publication of newspapers, periodicals and books observes State laws, publishing management regulations, propaganda discipline and secret-keeping regulations;
4. whether or not newspapers, periodicals and books violate the Administration of Press and Publications “Regulations concerning Reiterating the Strict Prohibition of Obscene Publications”, the “Provisional Regulations concerning the Management of Publication Covers, Illustrations and Publication Advertising”, and other relevant regulations;
5. whether or not newspapers, periodicals and books have published those especially important news reports, as well as theoretical articles, literary or artistic works that are relatively prominent in the area of theoretical viewpoints, artistic quality, creation themes;
6. whether or not news reports and images are true, complete, objective and fair, whether or not inaccurate reporting has been timely and openly corrected, and measures have been adopted to deal with the aftermath.
IV, Newspaper, periodical and book proofreading personnel must strictly and earnestly conduct proofreading work, they must timely conduct analysis of the topic selection, category, themes, tendencies, trends, etc., of newspapers, periodicals and books (including fine art and photography work) for the proofreading of which they are responsible, and put forward comprehensive proofreading opinions. They must integrate proofreading work in writing praising or critical articles, put forward opinions on commendations, criticism and punishment to the Administration and bureaus, and may participate in conferences, meetings to exchange experiences and commendation meetings organized by newspaper publishers, periodical publishers and book publishers.
All provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus and the Administration Newspaper Bureau, Periodical Bureau and Book Bureau will submit one brief and to the point comprehensive proofreading report to the Administration leadership. Important matters must be reported at any time.
V, Appointed proofreading personnel may be paid a certain remuneration on the basis of their work situation. Those who are not competent, may be dismissed at any time.
VI, If proofreaders discover problems that must be dealt with and different opinions emerge in the proofreading work of newspapers, periodicals and books, they may report it to the Administration of Press and Publications for appraisal. All relevant bureaus of the Administration of Press and Publications must have an expert panel of at least three people sign an appraisal opinion, and report it to the Administration director (or an appointed vice-director) for approval, this is a basis for dealing with the issue.
9 November 1988