At present, some books and periodicals violating the Four Cardinal Principles and propagating bourgeois liberalization ideologies are widely circulating, obscene and sexual publications and publications propagating feudal superstition, murder and violence flood the book market, illegal publishing activities remain rampant, gravely harming the construction of a Socialist spiritual civilization, and hamper social stability. Rapidly reversing this sort of situation is a first-rate important work for press and publications management departments at present. Recently, a number of provincial, autonomous region and municipal people’s government, when implementing the spirit of the 4th Plenum, have charged press and publications management departments and relevant departments with conducting inspection and rectification of the book and periodical market, and effects have been achieved. In order to implement the spirit of the 4th Plenum in the entire country, realistically do the inspection and rectification work of the book and periodical market well, the following matters are notified in relation to relevant issues:
I, The scope of inspection and rectification:
1. books and periodicals involving problems of planning or organizing counterrevolutionary riots and propagating bourgeois liberalization and of which sales should be stopped, are to be investigated and prosecuted strictly according to the relevant provisions and notices of our Administration;
2. obscene and sexual publications are to be investigated and prosecuted according to our Ministry’s “Provisional Regulations concerning Appraising Obscene and Sexual Publications”;
3. publications that, although they are not obscene or sexual, contain intermittent sexual content, that are vulgar and philistine and are harmful to minors shall also be confiscated and destroyed;
4. publications propagating feudal superstition, murder and violence are to be confiscated and destroyed without exception;
5. other books, periodicals and illegal publications of which the cessation of sales has already been notified, are investigated and prosecuted according to relevant regulations.
The abovementioned categories of publications to be investigated and prosecuted include the front cover, book illustrations, advertising, publicity materials, etc.
II, Handling competences:
1. All provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus may decide on cessation of sale and sealing of publications distributed within their provinces, falling within the abovementioned scope of investigation and prosecution.
2. For publications falling within the abovementioned scope of investigation and prosecution, published by local publishing work units, all provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus have the power to make a punishment decision, report it to the Administration of Press and Publications for filing, and publicly notify the entire country of the investigation and prosecution. Where legal responsibility must be investigated, it must be reported to the Administration of Press and Publications for filing.
3. For publications falling within the abovementioned scope of investigation and prosecution published by publishing work units from other provinces’ and Central publishing bureaus, all provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus may seal them up in advance, and report to the Administration of Press and Publications as soon as possible, in order to facilitate that as soon as possible after appraisal, the entire country is notified of the investigation and prosecution.
4. Where Central first-level publishing work units publish publications falling under the abovementioned scope of investigation and prosecution, their controlling department shall actively conduct investigation and prosecution, the Administration of Press and Publications may also directly conduct investigation and prosecution.
5. Illegal publications are to be confiscated and destroyed on the spot without exception.
Where the abovementioned investigated and prosecuted publications are traded by collectives or individuals, and they are stocked through lawful channels according to regulations, the economic damage is to be borne by the publishing work unit.
All localities’ press and publications bureaus are requested to timely collect information and report to the provincial, autonomous region and municipal Party Committees and governments, obtain the support and coordination from culture, industry and commerce, and public security departments, and immediately take action. Please request the situation of investigation and rectification to our Administration before the end of July of this year.