16 May 1990
Administration of Press and Publications
I, Internal newspapers and periodicals refers to newspapers and periodicals with an “internal newspaper and periodical printing permission certificate”, who are not listed with a “domestic uniform periodical number”, it does not refer to the part of newspapers and periodicals with limited internal distribution holding a “newspaper and periodical registration certificate”, listed with a “domestic uniform periodical number”.
II, Internal newspapers and periodicals are non-commercial continuous publications used within systems, sectors or work units to guide work, exchange experience and exchange information. They are not independent organs and do not have legal person status. “Internal newspaper and periodical printing permission certificates” are only issues to this sort of publication.
III, For running internal newspapers and periodicals, the following conditions shall be met:
1. having a purpose conform to the provisions of the Constitution, to serving the Socialist spiritual civilization and material civilization;
2. having a determined sponsoring work unit, a determined scope of specialization and editorial policy;
3. having a higher-level controlling department realistically undertaking leadership responsibilities. Internal newspapers and periodicals falling under Central work units shall be controlled by the a Central ministry or commission-level departments; internal newspapers and periodicals run by local work units, shall be controlled by local office or bureau-level departments; internal newspapers and periodicals run locally by Central work units, shall be controlled by a subordinate department of that work unit set up locally (department or bureau-level or higher, including bureau-level), Central ministry and commission0level work units may not directly control locally-run internal newspapers and periodicals
4. having a determined editorial department. Editorial department members must be official work personnel within the personnel allotment of the sponsoring work unit. The editorial department should be in the same locality as the sponsoring work unit.
5. Having the necessary funds, fixed office premises and printing work unit.
IV, Internal newspapers and periodicals are uniformly approved by all provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus under the leadership of Party Committee propaganda departments (when examining and approving internal newspapers and periodicals of the natural science and technology categories, the opinion of the local science and technology committee or the State Science and Technology Commission should be sought” Internal newspaper and periodical publishing permission certification are issued uniformly by all provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus. Other departments may not examine and approve internal newspapers and periodical or issue internal newspaper and periodical printing permission certificates.
V, Internal newspapers and periodicals may not carry the following content:
1. inciting subversion of the people’s democratic dictatorship regime and the Socialist system, separate the country and inciting rebellion or riots;
2. inciting opposition against the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party;
3. inciting resistance or destruction of the implementation of the Constitution and laws;
4. divulging state secrets, endangering national security, harming national interests;
5. inciting ethnic or racial discrimination or hatred, destroying ethnic unity;
6. propagating violence, obscenity, sex or instigating crime;
7. slandering or insulting other persons;
8. impairing judicial departments’ fair trial of cases;
9. other content prohibited by laws.
VI, The distribution and exchange scope of internal newspapers and periodicals may not exceed the sector or the work unit. Internal newspapers and periodicals may not be openly displayed or sold. They may certainly not be disseminated abroad or to the Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan regions through exchange or as gifts.
VII, Internal newspapers and periodicals may not be sold at fixed price, they may only collect a certain production costs after undergoing examination and approval by the provincial-level press and publications management department in consultation with the local price management department, and may not derive profit from this.
VII, Internal newspapers and periodicals may not conduct or participate in any commercial activity (including commercial advertising), may not launch open social activities, and may not conduct advertising or propaganda on radio, television or in official periodicals.
IX, Internal newspapers and periodicals may not establish journalist stations, offices or other organizations outside of their editorial department in any way.
X, Internal newspapers and periodicals may not publish supplementary numbers or pages without authorization, and are strictly prohibited to publish books or materials with their “internal newspaper and periodical printing permission certificate”.
XI, Internal newspapers and periodicals violating management regulations, will, on the basis of the gravity of the circumstances, be subject to warning, fines, confiscation of illegal income, confiscation or destruction, cessation of publication for rectification, cessation of publication and other administrative punishments.