Article 1: In order to strengthen imported television programme management, according to our country’s Constitution and relevant laws and regulations, these Provisional Regulations are formulated.
Article 2: Imported television programmes as named in these regulations, refers to special subject programmes, animation programmes, television dramas and film tapes for television station broadcast bought, exchanged or given by the other side from abroad and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.
Article 3: Imported television programmes shall all be authorized by the foreign copyright holder. All imported television dramas and film tapes used for broadcast by local television stations, must be reported to the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television for examination and approval according to regulations.
Television dramas and film tapes imported Beijing, Shanghai, Fujian and Guangdong, as well as municipal televisions stations for use on those stations, will be examined and approved by the radio and television offices (bureaus) of that province or municipality according to the “Examination Standards Concerning Imported Foreign Television Dramas”, and will report per season to the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Local Management Department for filing.
Article 4: The Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Local Management Department will at the beginning of each year, according to the different circumstances of all localities and their reported planning, put forward planning for the nationwide quantity of television dramas and film tapes used for broadcast by local television stations.
Article 5: Imported television dramas and film tapes must be exchanged and broadcasted strictly within the broadcasting scope approved by the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television.
Article 6: Imported television dramas and film tapes’ exchange will be conducted in a planned and unified manner under the guidance of the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Local Management Department by existing provincial and city level television station exchange network. Their circulation meetings shall be reported to the Local Management Department by the undertaking work unit for approval.
Article 7: The Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Local Management Department implements limits to the imported tape value and its domestic exchange value of television dramas and film tapes
Article 8: It is prohibited to buy and resell imported television dramas and film tapes for quick and easy profits.
Article 9: Within the set of programmes broadcast every day by all television stations, the arrangement of television drama and films shall be: our country’s productions may not be less than 80 per cent, imported foreign productions may not exceed 20 per cent, of which during the golden hours (18:00-22:00), broadcasted foreign television dramas may not exceed 15 per cent.
Article 10: Under one of the following circumstances, broadcast is prohibited:
(1) imported television programmes for which that station has not obtained broadcasting rights;
(2) foreign television programmes only for use as consultation material;
(3) foreign video tape products produced and distributed by audiovisual publication work units not having undergone examination and approval by the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television as usable for television broadcasting;
(4) foreign and Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau region television programmes received through a satellite earth receiving stations;
(5) foreign and Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau region television programmes violating our country’s Constitution, laws and regulations.
Article 11: Work units violating these regulations, will be punished as follows by the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television according to the gravity of the circumstances:
(1) report of criticism;
(3) closure for rectification;
(4) cancellation of television station.
Article 12: Work units violating Article 3, Article 5, Article 6 and Article 9 of these Regulations will be subject to a report of criticism.
Article 13: Where the following circumstances are present, a warning shall be issued:
(1) refusing to accept a report of criticism, again continue to violate the provisions listed in Article 12 after being reported and criticized;
(2) violating the provisions of Article 10 of these Regulations;
(3) for those violating Article 8 of these Regulations, apart from being warned, the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television may request relevant state entities to impose economic punishment according to the law.
Article 14: Where the following circumstances are present, closure for rectification of one week to one month shall be imposed:
(1) refusing to accept the punishment of a warning, again continue to violate the provisions listed in Article 13 after being warned’
(2) violating the provisions of Article 10, item 4 and item 5 of these Regulations, with relatively grave circumstances.
Article 15: Where the following circumstances are present, cancellation of the television station shall be imposed:
(1) refusing to accept the punishment of closure for rectifications, beginning broadcast during the period of closure for rectification without authorization or again continue to violate the provisions listed in Article 14 after being closed for rectification;
(2) violating the provisions of Article 10, item 4 and item 5 of these Regulations, with grave circumstances.
Article 16: Where violation of the provisions of Article 8 and Article 10 of these Regulations, violates State laws and constitutes a crime, the State judicial organs shall investigate legal liability of the work unit and the directly responsible persons according to the law.
Article 17: All previously promulgated regulations conflicting with these Regulations, are cancelled without exception.
Article 18: Interpretation of these Regulations shall be the responsibility of the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television.
Article 19: These Regulations take effect on the day of promulgation.
Ministry of Radio, Film and Television