Article 1: In order to strengthen management over imported television programmes, on the basis of our country’s Constitution and relevant laws and regulations, these Provisional Regulations are formulated.
Article 2: Imported television programmes as named in these Regulations, refers to special subject programmes, cartoon programmes, television dramas and film tapes bought, exchanged or received as gifts by our country from abroad and the Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau regions, for broadcast by television stations.
Article 3: Imported television programmes shall be authorized by foreign copyright holders. All imported television dramas and film tapes used for broadcast in local television stations, must be reported to the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television for examination and approval according to regulations.
Imported television dramas and film tapes used for broadcast on their stations by the provincial or municipal stations of Beijing, Shanghai, Fujian and Guangdong , are to be examined and approved by the provincial or municipal radio and television office (bureau) according to the “Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Examination Standards Concerning Imported Foreign Television Dramas”, and reported every quarter to the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Local Management Department for Filing.
Article 4: The Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Local Management Department makes a planning of the quantity of nationwide imported television dramas and film tapes used for broadcast by local television stations nationwide, at the beginning of every year, on the basis of all localities’ different circumstances and their application plans.
Article 5: Imported television dramas and film tapes must be exchanged and broadcast strictly according to the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television-approved broadcasting scope.
Article 6: The exchange of imported television dramas and film tapes is conducted uniformly and in a planned manner by provincial and city television stations’ existing programme exchange networks, under the guidance of the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Local Management Department. Exchange meetings shall be reported in advance by the undertaking work unit to the Local Management Department for approval.
Article 7: The Ministry of Radio, Film and Television Local Management Department implements restrictions on the price of imported television dramas and film tapes, and their domestic exchange price.
Article 8: It is prohibited to buy and resell imported television dramas and film tapes for profit, to seek quick and huge profits.
Article 9: Among the complete programme set broadcast daily by television stations, the arrangement for television dramas and films shall be: our country’s own productions may not be lower than 80 per cent, imported foreign matters may not exceed 20 per cent, within the Golden Hours (from 18:00 until 22:00), broadcast of foreign film or television dramas may not exceed 10 per cent.
Article 10: Broadcast of all matters falling under one of the following circumstances is prohibited:
(1) imported television programmes for which the station has not obtained broadcast rights;
(2) foreign television programmes that are only used for material reference;
(3) imported recorded works published and distributed by audiovisual publishing work units, used for television broadcast, that have not been examined and approved by the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television;
(4) f television programmes that have been received through satellite terrestrial reception stations;
(5) foreign, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau television programmes violating our country’s Constitution or laws.
Article 11: The Ministry of Radio, Film and Television will impose the following punishments on work units violating these Regulations in view of the gravity of the circumstances:
(1) report for criticism;
(2) a warning;
(3) cessation of broadcasting for rectification;
(4) cancellation of the television station.
Article 12: Work units violating the provisions of Article 3, Article 5, Article 6 and Article 9 of Regulations are reported for criticism.
Article 13: In case of the following circumstances, the punishment of a warning is imposed:
(1) refusal to accept a report for criticism, after being reported for criticism, continuing to violate the provisions listed in Article 12;
(2) violating the provisions of Article 10 of these Regulations;
(3) in case of violations of Article 8 of these Regulations, apart from a warning, the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television may also request relevant State departments to impose economic punishment according to the law.
Article 14: In case of the following circumstances, the punishment of cessation of broadcast for one week to one month for rectification is imposed:
(1) refusal to accept the punishment of a warning, and continuing to violate the provisions listed in Article 13;
(2) violations of the provisions of Paragraph 4 and Paragraph 5 of Article 10 of these Regulations, where circumstances are relatively grave.
Article 15: In case of the following circumstances, the punishment of cancellation of the television station is imposed:
(1) refusal to accept the punishment of cessation of broadcast for rectification, starting unauthorized broadcast during a period of cessation of broadcast for rectification, or continuing to violate the provisions of Article 14 after cessation of broadcast for rectification;
(2) violations of Paragraph 4 and Paragraph 5 of Article 10 of these Regulations, where circumstances are grave.
Article 16: Where violations of the provisions of Article 8 or Article 10 violate State laws and constitute a crime, State Judicial authorities investigate the legal liability of the work unit and directly responsible persons according to the law.
Article 17: In all cases where regulations promulgated earlier conflict with these Regulations, these are abolished without exception.
Article 18: The power to interpret these Regulations belongs to the Ministry of Radio, Film and Television.
Article 19: These Regulations take effect on the date of promulgation.