Provisional Regulations Concerning the Responsibilities of Publishing Work Units’ Sponsoring Work Units and Controlling Work Units
29 June 1993
XWCBS No. 801
Article 1: In order to adapt to the requirements of press and publications undertaking development, and clarify the responsibilities of publishing work units’ sponsoring work units and controlling work units, these Regulations are formulated.
Article 2: For organization of a publishing work unit, a sponsoring work unit and a controlling work unit must be determined.
Article 3: Publishing work unit refers to a newspaper publisher, periodical publisher (editing department) book publisher and audiovisual publisher run according to relevant State regulations, examined and approved by the national administrative press and publications management department and having implemented registration formalities.
Article 4: Sponsoring work unit refers to the higher-level leading department of the publishing work unit.
The specialist division of work scope of publishing work units organized by a sponsoring work unit, shall be consistent with the business scope of the sponsoring work unit. The office premises of the publishing work unit organized by a sponsoring work unit shall be in the same city and the same administrative area as the sponsoring work unit.
Where two or more work units jointly apply to set up a publishing work unit, one of them will be determined to act as the main sponsoring work unit as well as the corresponding controlling work unit.
Article 5: Controlling work unit refers to the applicant at the time of publishing work unit establishment, and is the higher-level controlling department of the sponsoring work unit of the publishing work unit (where there are two or more sponsoring work units, it is the main sponsoring work unit).
Controlling work units, at the central levels shall be work units of ministry level (including vice-ministry) level or higher; in provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities they shall be work units of office (bureau) level or higher; in autonomous prefectures, cities containing countries and administrative offices established by provinces and autonomous regions, they shall be work units of bureau (section) level or higher; in county-level administrative regions, they shall be county (section) level leading organs.
Article 6: The relationship of controlling work units and sponsoring work units with publishing work units must be one of leadership and being led, an cannot be a relationship of dependence and being depended on. The main responsible persons of publishing work units shall be the employed personnel subordinate to the sponsoring work unit, it is prohibited to contract the publishing work unit out to other organizations and individuals
Publishing work units, under the leadership and management of the controlling work unit and the sponsoring work unit are responsible for launching all business activities, guaranteeing that publications editing, publishing, printing and distribution work is regularly conducted
Article 7: Publishing committees, editing committees, editorial departments, management committees and other organs that publishing work units set up on the basis of work requirements, are all internal management organs of the publishing work unit, and cannot act as the publishing work unit’s sponsoring work unit or controlling work unit.
Article 8: Sponsoring work units bear the following duties concerning the publishing work units they set up:
(1) Leading and supervising that the publishing work units abide by the basic line, principles and policies of the Chinese Communist Party and State laws, regulations and policies, as well as publishing (newspaper, periodicals) organization policies, purposes, and specialist scopes, in performing publishing work and all related work; examining and verifying the important propaganda, reporting and theme selection plans of publishing work units, examining and approving the publishing or issuing of important contributions (book manuscripts, comments, reports, etc.); deciding whether to distribute or not distribute publications of their subordinate publishing work units; they bear direct leading responsibility for grave errors of the publishing work units appearing in publication content and other aspects, and other grave problems.
(2) According to relevant State provisions, providing and raising the necessary funds and equipment to publishing work unit, and creating other necessary conditions, conducting examination, approval and registration formalities, obtaining enterprise legal person or undertaking work unit legal person qualifications according to the law.
(3) According to relevant State provisions, deciding on the form of job responsibility system for the publishing work units’ operation and management of State assets; abiding by relevant State provisions and the principles of unifying responsibility, power and interest, guaranteeing the operational autonomy of publishing work units, but they shall realistically undertake supervision duties over all business activities of publishing work units; supervising publishing work units in strictly implementing State finance, tax and State-owned asset management laws and regulations, regularly conducting audits, guaranteeing that the publishing work units’ assets maintain or increase value. Where policy-related losses are suffered publishing work units because of social interest objective, the sponsoring work unit shall grant corresponding subsidy or compensation through other means.
(4) Examining and verifying the setup of internal organs, assessing and putting forward opinions for appointment or dismissal of publishing work units’ responsible persons, and reporting them to the controlling work unit for approval.
(5) Reporting the work situation of the publishing work unit to the controlling work unit, implementing the related decisions and opinions of the controlling work unit.
(6)Undertaking publishing work units’ or publications’ property liquidation, personnel settlements and other aftermath work after closing down.
(7) Other duties provided by the State and higher-level controlling departments.
Article 9: Controlling departments bear the following duties toward their subordinate publishing work units and their sponsoring work units:
(1) Supervising publishing work units and their sponsoring work units in their implementation of the basic line, principles and policies of the Chinese Communist Party and State laws, regulations and policies; adopting administrative measures and economic measures to guarantee that publishing work by publishing work units persist in the orientation of serving the people and serving Socialism, and persisting in having social effect as the highest standards; they are empowered to decide to distribute or not distribute the publications of subordinate work units; they bear leading responsibility for grave errors of the publishing work units appearing in publication content, and other aspects and other grave problems.
(2) Examining and approving publishing work units’ major propaganda, reporting and theme selection plans, approving the publishing or issuing of contributions having an important influence; deciding to close down or change publishing work units or publications, and putting forward written reports to the administrative press and publications management department.
(3) Conducting assessment, supervision and guidance over the leading and management work of the sponsoring work unit over the publishing work unit, and they may put forward opinions and make decisions.
(4) Supporting and assisting supporting work units to provide or raise funds and purchase equipment for publishing work units.
(5) Together with the sponsoring work unit, being responsible for the asset liquidation, personnel settlement and other aftermath work after closing down publishing work units or publications.
(6) Other duties provided by the State.
Article 10: Where a sponsoring work unit and a controlling work unit are the same organ, the said organ must implement all duties provided in Article 8 and 9 .
Article 11: When sponsoring work units decide to no longer implement the duties provided in Article 8 of these Regulations, they shall timely report their controlling authority and the administrative press and publications management department in written form, and the controlling work unit will directly implement the duty of the sponsoring work unit; the controlling work unit shall within two months decide to close down the said publishing work unit or appoint a new suitable sponsoring work unit; where the time limit is exceeded and there is no qualified sponsoring work unit, the administrative press and publications management department cancels the registration of the said publishing work unit according to relevant provisions.
Article 12: When controlling work units decide to no longer implement the duties provided in Article 9 of these Regulation, they shall make a decision to close down the said publishing work unit and report this to the administrative press and publications management department in written form, the administrative press and publications management department then cancels the registration of the said publishing work unit.
Article 13: Where publishing work units are incapable to pay back their debt because of grave debts, and the sponsoring work unit or controlling work unit can also not pay back on their behalf, the controlling work unit shall decide to close it down, and report this to the administrative press and publications management department in written form, cancel registration of the said publishing work units, and conduct liquidation according to the law.
Article 14: Where controlling work units or sponsoring work units cannot implement their duties or violate these Regulations, causing the publishing work unit to lose the conditions for continued running, the administrative press and publications management department cancels the registration of the said publishing work unit.