Notice concerning Issuing the “Social Science Journal Quality Management Standards” (Trial)
13 June 1995, Administration of Press and Publications
All Central Committee and State Council ministries and commissions, all directly subordinate work units; the Liberation Army General Political Department; all democratic parties; people’s organizations; all provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus:
In order to stimulate the healthy and flourishing our country’s journal publishing undertaking, further perfect the administrative management system for journals, and guarantee the quality of social science journal publication, our Administration formulated the “Social Science Journal Quality Management Standards” (Trial), these are hereby issued to you, when you conduct journal management, quality evaluation and other such work in your department or your region, please implement matters with reference to them.
In order to coordinate the implementation of the “Social Science Journal Quality Management Standards” (Trial), our Department has formulated complementary “quality standards” and “quality evaluation rules” for seven categories or journals; “academic theory journals”, “work guidance journals”, “current affairs and politics journals”, “literature and art journals”, “comprehensive cultural life journals”, “education and tutorial journals” and “information digest journals”, these will be published in No. 1995(7) of the “China Periodical Monthly”, sponsored by our Administration’s Information Centre, our Administration will not transmit documents separately. All departments and all localities are requested to timely report situations or issues encountered when implementing the “Standards” and the “Rules” to our Administration
Social Science Journal Quality Management Standards (Trial)
Chapter I: General Provisions
Article 1: In order to stimulate the healthy and flourishing development of our country’s journal undertaking, further perfect the administrative management structure for journals, and guarantee the quality of social science journals, these quality management standards are formulated.
Article 2: These quality management standards apply to official journals in the social science category that have been listed with a domestic uniform periodical number.
Article 3: Social science journal publishing must take Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, the constructing of Socialism with Chinese characteristics and the Party’s basic line as guidance, persist in the orientation of serving the people and serving Socialism, implement the “Two Hundreds” policy, carry the Socialist main melody forward, arm the people with scientific theory, guide the people with correct public opinion, mould people with noble spirits, encourage people with excellent works, and correctly propagate the principles and policies of the Chinese Communist Party and the State.
Article 4: Content printed in social science journals must respect the Constitution and the law, may not violate the basic principles determined in the Constitution, and the publishing of journals and other related activities must be conducted according to the “Provisional Periodical Management Regulations” and other such regulations.
Article 5: During the process of publishing, social science journal content must conform to the publishing purpose and special work scope of the journal in question, publishing activities must be conducted within the journal’s special work scope.
Chapter II, Professional standards
Article 6: The content published in social science journals must be true, correct and timely, in manuscript selection and use, all social science and culture knowledge that is beneficial to economic development and social progress should be vigorously disseminated and accumulated, to enrich people’s spiritual lives, benefit carrying the culture of the nation forward and stimulate international cultural exchange.
(1) academic theory journals: being able to reflect domestic academics levels, having clear arguments that are fully grounded, being innovative, exploratory and having relatively high academic value.
(2) work guidance journals: topic selection shall be aimed at the sector or the system, information dissemination is to be timely, viewpoints that are put forward are to have a strong focus, and a strong guiding nature.
(3) Current affairs and political journals: they must correctly propagate the principles and policies of the Chinese Communist Party and our country’s government, reporting content must be true, accurate and timely, they must pay attention to propaganda effects, and fuse ideology, knowledge and readability together.
(4) Literature and art journals: they should vigorously carry the main melody forward, ensure diversification of topics, reflect the spirit of the times, inherit and carry forward the excellent culture of the nation, draw in an learn from excellent global culture, have a healthy style and a noble bearing, have relatively high artistic levels, and be able to satisfy the people’s aesthetic needs in many areas.
(5) Comprehensive cultural life journals: content should be healthy and upward, the ideological nature strong, the knowledge coverage broad, they should have a relatively strong scientific nature and readability, novel contribution themes, be rich in original creation, contain true and accurate reports, and correctly guide the people’s life views and moral views.
(6) Education and tutorial journals: articles that are used should be scientifically pure, correct and without mistakes, be suited to the target readers of the journal, have a focused, educational and practical nature, benefit the learning and grasping of scientific and cultural knowledge, expanding fields of vision, and fostering creative forces.
(7) Information digest journals: printed information should be true, timeliness strong and information amounts large, they should benefit social development and benefit the dissemination and accumulation of scientific and cultural knowledge.
Article 7: Social science journals’ editing and processing shall abide by relevant standards and relevant publishing and printing regulations promulgated by the State; page format design and spacing must be proper, pictures and text coordinated, subjects prominent and linkage page few; cover, illustration and picture design is to be novel, elegant and healthy, artistic and aesthetic, and be consistent with the purpose and content of the journal; colophon items must be complete; there should not be the situation of confusing complexity and simplicity.
Article 8: Finished social science journals shall have a clear font, ink shading should be suitable, not runny or seeping into the paper, images should be distinct, lines standardized and without bends, photos should have clear levels, and contrast moderate; binding and layout should be neat, firm and beautiful, pages should not be inserted, lacking, damaged, folded, joined or left white; publishing should take place on time, without delay.
Chapter III: Quality management
Article 9: Administrative press and publications management departments may, on the basis of these quality management standards, conduct inspection, evaluation and ranking of social science journals, and on the basis of inspection results, order rectification with a limited time for social science journals that do not conform to quality standards, and where circumstances are grave, impose the punishment of cancellation of regulation.
Article 10: All localities’ press and publications management departments may, on the basis of these standards, and in integration with the real situation in their localities, formulate concrete implementation rules, cases subject to the punishment of registration cancellation shall be verified according to the procedure provided in Article 37 of the “Provisional Periodical Management Regulations”.
Chapter IV: Supplementary provisions
Article 11: The implementation of these quality standards is organized by the Administration of Press and Publications.
Article 12: The interpretation of these quality standards is the responsibility of the Administration of Press and Publications.
Article 13: These quality standards take effect on the date of promulgation.
第一章 总 则
第四章 附 则