Provisional Computer Information Network International Interconnection Management Regulations of the People’s Republic of China
Promulgated on 1 February 1996 as Decree No. 195 of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China, amended on 20 May 1997 on the basis of the “State Council Decision to Revise the ‘Provisional Computer Information Network International Interconnection Management Regulations of the People’s Republic of China'”
Article 1: In order to strengthen management over computer information network international interconnection, and guarantee the healthy development of international computer information exchange, these Regulations are formulated.
Article 2: Computer information networks from within the borders of the People’s Republic of China engaging in international interconnection, shall be handled according to these Regulations
Article 3: The meaning of the following terms in these Regulations is:
(1) Computer information network international interconnection (hereafter simply named international interconnection), refers to international exchange realized by computer information networks from within the borders of the People’s Republic with China, and linking with computer information networks abroad.
(2) Interconnection network, refers to computer information networks directly engaged in international interconnection; interconnection work unit, refers to work units responsible for interconnection network operation.
(3) Access networks, refers to computer information networks engaged in international interconnection through accessing interconnection networks; access work unit, refers to work units responsible for access network operations.
Article 4: The State implements comprehensive planning over international interconnection, and the principles of uniform standards, hierarchical management, and stimulating development.
Article 5: The State Council Leading Small Group for Economic Informatization (hereafter simply named the Leading Small Group), is responsible for coordinating and resolving major questions in international interconnection work. The Leading small group office, according to the concrete management rules formulated according to these Regulations, clarifies the rights, duties and responsibilities of international entry and exit channel provision work units, interconnection work units, access work units and users, and is responsible for inspection and supervision over international interconnection work.
Article 6: Computer information networks directly engaged in international interconnection, must use international entry and access channels provided by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications State Public Telecommunications Network. No work unit or individual may establish or use other channels to engage in international interconnection on their own initiative.
Article 7: Already established interconnection networks, after adjustment on the basis of relevant State Council regulations, are to be managed respectively by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications, the Ministry of Electronic Industry, the State Education Commission and the Chinese Academy of Sciences. Newly established interconnection networks must be reported for approval to the State Council.
Article 8: Access networks must conduct international interconnection through interconnection networks. Access work units planning to engage in international network activities, shall apply for and obtain an international interconnection business permit from the international interconnection work unit controlling department or controlling work unit authorized to accept applications to engage in international interconnection business activities; those not having obtained an international interconnection business permit, may not engage in international interconnection business activities. Access work units planning to engage in non-commercial activities, shall report to the international interconnection work unit controlling department or controlling work unit authorized to accept applications to engage in non-commercial activities for approval; those not having received approval, may not connect to interconnection networks to engage in international interconnection. When applying for and obtaining or international interconnection business permits or carrying out approval formalities, shall provide their computer information networks’ nature, application scope, host address and other materials. The form of the international interconnection business permit is formulated uniformly by the Leading Small Group.
Article 9: Access work units engaging in international interconnection business activities and engaging in non-commercial activities must have the following conditions:
(1) being an enterprise legal person or undertaking legal person established according to the law;
(2) having corresponding computer information networks, equipment as well as corresponding technological personnel and management personnel;
(3) having complete security and secrecy management systems and technological protection measures;
(4) Conforming to other conditions provided by laws and State Council regulations. Access work units engaging in international interconnection business activities, apart from having to have the conditions provided in the above Items in this Article, shall also have the capacity to provide long-term service to users. Where the situation of access work units engaging in international interconnection commercial activities changes, and they can no longer conform to the conditions provided in Item 1 and Item 2 of this Article, their international interconnection business permit is revoked by the original permit-issuing organ; where the situation of access work units engaging in non-commercial activities changes, and they can no longer conform to the conditions provided in Item 1 of this Article, their international interconnection qualifications are cancelled by the examining and approving organ.
Article 10: Concerning computers or computer information networks used by individuals, legal persons and other organizations (hereafter known together as users), where it is necessary to engage in international interconnection, international interconnection must be conducted through access networks. Concerning computers or computer information networks as provided in the previous Item, needing to access networks, the agreement of the access work unit shall be obtained, and registration procedures conducted.
Article 11: International entry and exit channel provision work units, interconnection work units and access work units, shall establish corresponding network management centres, and strengthen management over the work unit’s and their users’ management according to laws and relevant State Council regulations, perform network information security management work well, and guarantee that good and secure services are provided to users.
Article 12: Interconnection work units and access work units shall be responsible for international interconnection technological training and management education work in that work unit and for their users.
Article 13: Work units and individuals engaging in international interconnection business, shall respect relevant state laws and administrative regulations, strictly implement security and secrecy systems, may not utilize international interconnection to engage in unlawful and criminal acts of endangering national security, divulging State secrets, etc., and may not produce, consult, reproduce and disseminate information hampering social public order or obscene, sexual and other information.
Article 14: Those violating the provisions of Article 6, Article 8 and Article 10 of these Regulations, are ordered by public security organs to cease interconnection, issued with a warning, and a fine of 15000 Yuan or less may additionally be imposed; where there is unlawful income, unlawful income is confiscated.
Article 15: Where violations of these regulations at the same time violate other relevant laws and administrative regulations, punishment will be imposed according to relevant laws and administrative regulations; where it constitutes a crime, criminal responsibility is investigated according to the law.
Article 16: Interconnections with computer information networks in the Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau regions is implemented with reference to these Regulations.
Article 17: These Regulations take effect on the date of promulgation.
第八条 接入网络必须通过互联网络进行国际联网。接入单位拟从事国际联网经营活动的，应当向有权受理从事国际联网经营活动申请的互联单位主管部门或者主管单位申请领取国际联网经营许可证；未取得国际联网经营许可证的，不得从事国际联网经营业务。接入单位拟从事非经营活动的，应当报经有权受理从事非经营活动申请的互联单位主管部门或者主管单位审批；未经批准的，不得接入互联网络进行国际联网。 申请领取国际联网经营许可证或者办理审批手续时，应当提供其计算机信息网络的性质、应用范围和主机地址等资料。国际联网经营许可证的格式，由领导小组统一制定。
(四)符合法律和国务院规定的其他条件。 接入单位从事国际联网经营活动的，除必须具备本条前款规定条件外，还应当具备为用户提供长期服务的能力。 从事国际联网经营活动的接入单位的情况发生变化，不再符合本条第一款、第二款规定条件的，其国际联网经营许可证由发证机构予以吊销；从事非经营活动的接入单位的情况发生变化，不再符合本条第一款规定条件的，其国际联网资格由审批机构予以取销。