9 February 2004
All provincial, autonomous region, municipal and plan-listed city radio and television bureaus (offices), all provincial and municipal radio, film and television groups (general stations), all provincial capital radio and television bureaus (groups), all general bureau organ departments and subordinate work units, the thre central stations, China Film Group, China Radio Network Transmission Company:
The 16th Party Congress has put forward clear requirements for accelerating cultural structural reform and vigorousl development of cultural undertakings and industries, our country’s radio, film and television reform and development is now further deepening. Under these new circumstances, earnestly doing well rft information work, has a special importance in the large picture of rft work. In 2003, rft information work has obtained certain achievements, but in general, is still correspondingly weak, cannot yet completely adapt to the requireents and work needds of of the circumstances of full speed development, the problems that information reporting is not balanced, not timely and misses the main point still exist. We must give this high regard, and spend large efforts to realistically resolve these problems, and as soon as possible raise rft information work levels. In order to do so, the following opinions are put forward:
I, The main scope of rft information work service
(1) providing major information concerning rft work to the Party Centre, the State Council and relevant ministries and commissions.
(2) providing major information concerning social trends, public opinion and prominent matters, etc., to the Party Centre and .the State Council
(3) providing major information on rft work to SARFT leaders.
(4) providing information relating to rft work to all SARFT departments, directly subodinate work units’ personnel in chage, all provincial (regional, municipal) rft burau personnel in charge and all group personnel in charge as well as the personnel in charge of related work units.
II, Basic requirements for doing rft information work well
In order to do information work well, “newness”, “speed”, “truth”, “excellence” “correctness” and “brevity” must be achieved.
(1) “New” means that new ideas are required. This is an urgent need for improving information work at present. Information must reflect the new circumstances and new problems in rft reform and development management, new changes, new experiences and new methods in the sphere of propaganda, ideology and culture, the new trends in the ideological understanding of cadres and the masses, achieve new content, new perspectives, new topics, and new viewpoints.
(2) “Speed”means that iin to talk about time efficiency. Iin to timely report the situation of implementing the spirit of higher-level guidelines, iin to report major incidents or important circumstances at all times, iin to regularly report daily work or trends. Among those, major accidents shall be reported within 12 hours after the event takes place, especially large accidents and dangerous conditions must be reported immediately after they take place, and at the lates may not exceed 6 hours after the event takes place. Reports may be made in the method of orally first and in writing afterwards, briefly first, detailed afterwards, and the sitation is to be reported with the greatest speed.
(3) “Truth” means that true content is required. Information must be rid of old words and stereotyped expression , with squeezed content , conretely existing, and prominently disply work characteristics. Within the system iin to completely report rft work information of the regions, entities and work units, achieving that no important information is falsely reported, fails to be incluided, or is reported late. Outside of the system, iin to fully utilized the superiority of rft news intevres, do social opinion, economic trend and major incident reporting well.
(4) “Correct” means that it must be objective and authentic. Information content must seek truth from facts, people’s names, place names, quantities and quotations must be correct and without error. Reflection of achievements must be appropriate, and may not be arbitrarily exagerrated and raised. Reflection of problems must be authentic and reliable, and they may not be concealed or covered.
(5) “Ecellent” means that it must be meticulously processed. A good piece of information, shall have clear levels, tight logic, be concise and comprehensive, detailed and proper, with clear language and concise writing. When composing and editing of information, iin to conduct deiberation of rewoeking and repeating. Iin to make the information requirement direction of higher levels clear, raise the focus or reports.
(6) “Brevity” means that it must be concise and comprehensive, short and pithy. Iin to be good at synthesizing, summarizing, abstraction, and at the same time, pay attention to cleanliness and conciseness of writing, strive to reduce the length a bit, and stop lengthy articles. General information that is reported is not to exceed 300 characters, leadership activities not to exceed 400 characters, important informtion not to exceed 600 characters, and major information not to exceed 1000 characters.
III, Establishing networks wit ha broad schope and unimpeded channels
(1) information networks are mainly composed of the following aspects:
A. Basic reporting structure
1, all SARFT organ departments;
2, all SARFT directly subordinate work units;
3, all provincial (regional, municipal rft bureaus and groups (general stations).
B. Direct reporting structure
1, China Central Television Station, China People’s Radio Station, China International Radio Station, China Film Group Company, China Network Transmission Limited COmpany;
2, all plan-listed city and provincial capital city radio, film and television bureaus and groups;
3, city and county rft buraus of which annual income reaches a certain level;
4, people-run film and television production and distribution organs already having a certain scale;
4, a number of authoritative research organs;
6, a number of newspaper offices, periodical offices and city or county radio or television stations within the system;
(for a number of direct information reporting point name list, see appendix 1)
(2) SARFT General Office’s has a guiding function in rft system information network construction. The GFeneral Office General Department is the concrete organ managing information work, and is responsible for daily information work.
(3) All SARFT organ departments, all directly subordinate work units, all provincial (regional, municipal), plan-listed city and provincial capital rft bureaus and groups as well as all direct information reporting points’ comrades in charge must give high regard to information work, and choose comrades with a strong party spirit, relatively high policy and theory level, that are able to grasp relatively much and relativel important information to act full-time (part-time) in capacity of information officer, in charge of information work in that locality, that entity or that work unit.
IV, Strengthening information work team construction
(1) Information work teams are composed of full-time, part-time and specially-engaged information personnel. These teams must be strong politically, must be excellent in their work, must be hard in their work style, and must be strict in discipline.
(2) Information work personnel must be learned, strive to study Deng Xiaoping Theory and the important “Three Represents” thought, stidy the Party line, principles, policies and the spoirit of important SARFT documents, study corresponding special knowledge, have relatively strong written expression capacity, investigation and research capacity, organizing and coordinatoin capacity, grasp certain modernized office equipment operation technology; they must be versed in politics, determinedly maintain unity with the Party Centre in politics and ideology, have a relatively strong sense of political responsibility and information consciousness, be good at standing on the height of the large picture to observe and understand matters; they must be righteous, carry a spirit of work diligence and selfless dedication and a work style of going deep into reality, and scientific rigour, persist in seeking truth from facts, strictly observe secret-keeping systems.
(3) SARFT must conduct training of information personnel on knowledge and technology in politics and theory, general and specific policies, information investigation and research, drafting and editing, as well as PC operation, etc., once every two years.
(4) All localities and all entities must be concerned about and support information officer work in their localities and entities, and to the best of their ability create beneficial work conditions for them. This includes that iin to arrange their participation in high-level work meetings of that work unit, basic equipment is allocated to them, that they are rewarded for obtained achievements, etc.
V, Establishign information work reward and punishment systems
(1) SARFT conducts complete examination and comparative assessment of rft system information work once per year, rewards the advanced, and spurs on the laggards. Iin to persist in the principles of integrating spiritual encouragement and material encouragement, integrating education and criticizing, accomplishing corresponding rewards and punishments; iin to according to the information work reality, earnestly formulate selection criteria and rules for selection and commendation, and incessantly perfect them, make them standardized and systemathized.
(2) Selecting and rewarding excellent information. The rft information system annually selects excellent information, and grants a certain material reward to the wroter; work units and information officers that have obtained many excellent information awards annually, may be given priority in baing assessed as the nationwide rft system information work exelent work unit and excellent information officer in that year.
(3) Giving rewards for utilizing information. All information utilized by the Central Committee Secretariat, the State Council Secretariat, the Central Propaganda Department and SARFT, shall be granted an editing fee as reward per piece, and according to a name list calculated on score stendards, one adfvanced rft system information reporting work unit and individual shall be selected once every year. (Score standards, see Attachment 2).
(4) The “Duty Daily”shall circulate the situation of information reported by all work units utilized by the Central Committee Secretariat, the State Council Secretariat, the Central Propaganda Department and SARFT every quarter in the “Situation Report” column.
(5) Those making mistakes in their work, shall be dealt with in view of the concrete circumstances.
1, Of those reporting important information late two times or more (including two times), or failing to inclide, refusing to report or falsely reporting important information more than once (including once), selection for that year’s annual information work excelletn work unit qualification shall be cancelled;
2, in work units refusing to report or falsely reporting important information, creating grave damage and important influence, responsibility of the relevant leader must be prosecuted;
3, work units not reporting information for a quarter continuously, will be reported for criticism in the SARFT “Duty Daily” “Situation Information” column;
4, those whose information reports do not conform to form or examination and approval requirements for two times or more (including two times), will be reported for criticism in the SARFT “Duty Daily” “Situation Information” column.
Attachment 1: A name list of a number of direct information reporting points:
Prefecture-level city work units: Hebei Province Qinhuangdao City Radio, Film and Television Bureau, Shanding Province Zibo City Radio, Film and Television Bureau, Jiangsu Province Wuxi City Radio, Film and Television Bureau, Zhejiang Province Wenzhou City Radio, Film and Television Bureau, Hunan Province Changde City Radio, Film and Television Bureau, Guangdong Province Shantou City Radio, Film and Television Bureau.
County-level work units: Jiangsu Province Yixing City Radio, Film and Television Bureau, Zhejiang Province Zhuji City Radio, Film and Television Bureau, Fujian Province Pujiang City Radio, Film and Television Bureau.
Social film and television production and distribution organs: Zhejiang Hengdian Film and Television City Industry Trial Area, Baoli Huayi Media Holding Company Limited, Beijing Enlight Television Broadcast Company Limited, Xi’an Chang’an Film and Television Production Company Limited, Jiuzhou Culture Broadcast Company, China Culture Federation Audiovisual Publishign House, Beijing Zhongbei Television Art Centre Company Limited.
Attachment 2: State Administation of Radio, Film and Television information report score standards for 2004
information reported to and utilized by SARFT in 2004 score calculation has changed from calculation per piece to calculation on the basis of points, the scope includes “Duty Daily”, “Radio, Film and Television Bulletin”, “Reported Information” and “Policy-making Reference”, concrete scoring standards are as follows (scoring standards for utilizing one piece of information):
I, Normal scoring
1, “Duty Daily” brief news: 1 point, SARFT work, local work, industrial trenfs, situation reports, etc.: 2 points, important news, leadership activities, important meetings: 3points.
2, The “Radio, Film and Television Bulletin” utilizing one piece of information is 4 points (no points for special campaigns or special issues).
3, The “Reported Information” utilizing one piece of information is 5 points.
4, The “Policy-Making Reference” utilizing one piece of infomration is one point, publishing one essay is 5 points, publishing in the “Bureau and State Chief Column” is 10 points per piece.
Points for articles and information published by provincial (regional, municipal), city and county radio and television entity writer are to be entered into in the points of that provincial (regional, municipal) radio, film and television bureau, Pounts for articles and information published by provincial-level group writers is to be entered into the points of that group.
5, Provincial capital and city and county radio, film and television bureaus reporting information tht is adopted, apart from their work unit receiving points, half of the received points shall be entered to the provincial, regional or municipal radio, film and television bureaus of their locality.
II, Special extra points
1, All information provided by licalities reported to SARFT, utilized by the Central Committee Secretariat, State Council Secretariat, etc., are given points according to column of the utilizing parties, the scope of extra points is 10 – 30.
2, Information contained in Central leadership memos is given another 10 – 20 points; information contained in SARFT memos is given another 5 – 10 points.
III, Points deduction
From those where errors appear in reoprted information, if content is inaccurate, there are mistakes in people’s names, functions, place names, etc., according to the gravity of the information, 5 – 20 points are deducted, and it is reported in the “Duty Daily”.