Implementation Plan concerning the People’s Radio Station and Central Television Station Launching Democratic Climate Discussion Activities
Notice concerning Printing and Issuing the “SARFT and State Council Office for Rectification Implementation Plan concerning the People’s Radio Station and Central Television Station Launching Democratic Climate Discussion Activities”
On 22 June 2005, SARFT issued the “SARFT and State Council Office for Rectification Implementation Plan concerning the People’s Radio Station and Central Television Station Launching Democratic Climate Discussion Activities” to the Central People’s Radio Station, the Central Television station, all provincial, autonomous region, municipal and plan-listed city radio film and television bureaus (offices), rectification offices, the Xinjiang Production-Construction Corps radio and television office and the rectification office, all relevant work units are requested to integrate it with reality and earnestly implement this.
SARFT and State Council Office for Rectification Implementation Plan concerning the People’s Radio Station and Central Television Station Launching Democratic Climate Discussion Activities
On the basis of the “Implementation Opinions concerning Rectification Work in 2005″ of the Ministry of Supervision and the State Council Office for the Rectification of Unhealthy Tendencies” and the “Implementation Opinions concerning Launching Nationwide Radio and Television System Democratic Climate Discussion in 2005” of the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television and the State Council Office for Rectification, in order to do democratic climate discussion work in the Central People’s Radio Station and the Central Television Station well, these Implementation Opinions are formulated.
I, Guiding ideology and work objectives
With Deng Xiaoping Theory and the important “Three Represents” thought as guidance, persisting in the scientific development view, earnestly implementing the spirit of the 3rd and 4th Plenums of the 16th Party Congress, persisting in the principles of treating both root causes and symptoms, tackling problems comprehensively, simultaneously punishing and preventing, and stressing prevention, fully relying on forces from all walks of society to conduct comment and supervision over the Central People’s Radio Station and the Central Television station’s climate situation, striving to resolve prominent problems reflected by the broad masses. Further strengthening a sense of professional ethics, promoting the transformation of sector work styles, incessantly strengthening team construction, providing powerful guarantees for completing the Party’s central propaganda tasks.
II, Discussion content
(1) Implementation of Party and government principles, policies concerning propaganda work, propaganda discipline as well as the situation of radio and television laws and regulations, focusing on discussing the situation of persisting in the correct public opinion guidance radio and television as well as their subordinate websites, newspapers and periodicals. The main content:
1. persisting in taking Deng Xiaoping Theory and the important “Three Represents” thought as guidance, maintaining high consistency with the Party Centre;
2. persisting in the Party’s news work principles and policies, serving the larger picture of the entire Party’s and entire country’s work;
3. earnestly implementing the guiding principles of “three sticking close” (sticking close to reality, sticking close to life, sticking close to the masses), truthfully, objectively and completely reflecting social reality;
4. persisting in the principle of mainly propagating the positive side, forcefully carrying forward healthy social tendencies;
5. paying attention to propaganda art and innovating propaganda and reporting forms, incessantly raising propaganda effect;
6. fully giving rein to the correct guidance function of State mainstream media, strengthening and improving public opinion supervision work;
7. whether or not the political points of view, political trends, political tendencies and propaganda orientation in propaganda and reporting is correct, whether errors appear in propaganda work or bad influences are created;
8. programme content is rich and varied, satisfying the popular masses’ spiritual and cultural needs;
giving high regard and listening to the opinions and suggestions of the broad listeners and viewers on propaganda and reporting.
(2) The implementation situation of the “Regulations concerning Newsgathering and Editing Personnel Employment Management (Trial)”, the “Professional Ethics Standards for Chinese Radio and Television Editors and Journalists”, the “Professional Ethics Standards for Chinese Radio and Television Broadcasters and Presenters”, as well as the “Provisional Radio and Television Advertising Broadcast Management Regulations” and other relevant regulations and regulatory systems. Focus discussion is on whether phenomena such as paid-for news, false news, bad advertising, vulgar tendencies, etc., exist in radio and television as well as their subordinate websites, newspapers and periodicals
1. asking for, accepting or borrowing monies or objects from reporting counterparts or persons with a relationship of interest;
2. accepting invitations to banquets and presents that may influence the objectivity or fairness of news reporting;
3. blackmailing with “public exposure”, “editing and releasing for internal reference” and other methods, in order to achieve personal objectives or other improper objectives;
4. engaging in paid-for intermediary activities related to the profession, or engaging in private enterprises;
5. violating relevant regulations, concurrently holding positions and obtaining remuneration from other news work units or economic organizations without a relationship of subordination;
6. news reporting not being separated from commercial activities, publishing advertising in the form of news reports, exchanging news reporting or covert news forms for advertising and support, using the status of journalist, editor, proofreader, producer, presenter, broadcaster, etc., or the convenience of the work to attract advertising or attract support;
7. fabricating news or distorting and exaggerating reported facts, making comment or guesses into established factual reporting;
8. replacing policies and laws with individual sentiments, case reporting influencing judicial fairness and legal judgments;
9. in advertising for drugs, medical machines or medical services, using the images of experts, doctors, patients as well as social masses personalities as evidence, or propagating guaranteed cures, or propagating treatment functions in health protection foodstuff advertising, or exaggerating functions in advertising for drugs, cosmetics and beauty services;
10. piling up gore, violence, sex, gambling, superstition and fallacies in programmes or advertising, containing content that is insulting or discriminating towards other persons or invades other persons’ privacy, or using coarse language, uncivilized manners, and vulgar styles;
11. other problems of violating professional ethics and sector management regulations, seeking personal gain through work, etc.
III, Organizational leadership
Democratic climate discussion work for the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station, is conducted under the leadership of the SARFT Democratic Climate Discussion Work Leading Small Group.
The Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station separately establish democratic climate discussion work leading small groups and work organs, integrate the reality of the station and organize implementation. One comrade is appointed to take the position of liaison, and is responsible for liaison work with SARFT and the State Council Office for Rectification.
IV, Time arrangements, methods and steps
From the end of June to the middle of November, matters will be implemented according to four phases: mobilization and deployment; seeking opinions; concentrated discussion; inspection, rectification and reform.
(1) Mobilization and deployment (end of June until beginning of July)
The Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station participate in a nationwide radio and television system democratic climate discussion activity mobilization meeting convened by SARFT and the State Council Office for Rectification, and integrate their reality with deployment work.
(2) The opinion-seeking phase (middle of July until end of August)
SARFT and the State Council Office for Rectification entrust all provincial (regional, municipal) radio and television departments and rectification offices to release, recover and collect questionnaires concerning the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station climate situation, adopt effective methods to solicit the opinions from local masses concerning the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station, and form written reports for SARFT and the State Council Office for Rectification.
SARFT and the State Council Office for Rectification appoint democratic climate comment representatives, to conduct investigation and comment on the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station climate situation.
The DARFT Democratic Climate Discussion Office gathers the collected opinions, and gives feedback to the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station.
The Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station must openly make commitments to society, adopt all sorts of methods to broadly solicit the masses’ opinions, conduct self-appraisal of the climate situation of that station, write written materials and report them to SARFT and the State Council Office for Rectification.
(3) the concentrate discussion phase (beginning of September)
SARFT and the State Council Office for Rectification organize and convene a discussion meeting. The meeting content: the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station separately conduct self-appraisal concerning the climate situation of that station, the discussing representatives conduct discussion of the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station climate situation, the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station conduct declarations concerning the discussion opinions of the representatives.
(4) Rectification and reform phase (mid-September until mid-November)
The Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station earnestly research rectification and reform plans for problems reflected by the masses in discussion, implement concrete rectification and reform plans, establish and complete relevant regulatory systems. Problems that can be promptly resolved or that can be resolved through effort are to be timely resolved; those for which there are no conditions to resolve them for the time being, are to be listed in rectification and reform plans. They earnestly perform summarizing of that station’s launching democratic climate discussion activity work.
SARFT and the State Council Office for Rectification organize relevant personnel to conduct inspection of the rectification and reform situation.
V, Discussion results
SARFT will report the discussion opinions on the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station from all localities, the questionnaires as well as the rectification and reform situation of the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station in written form. They must also within a certain scope, adopt suitable measures, to open up the discussion results and rectification and reform situation of the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station to society.
VI, Some requirements
(1) Raising understanding, strengthening leadership
It is necessary to raise democratic climate discussion work to the height of practicing the important “Three Represents” thought in order to understand it, and let it become a rectification and reform measure to maintain the advanced educational activities for Party members to grasp. It is necessary to implement the democratic climate discussion work responsibility system, clarify responsibilities and work division, leading comrades must grasp this themselves, relevant functional departments must grasp this concretely. It is necessary to integrate democratic climate discussion work with completing propaganda tasks and “Three Studies Education Activities”, and strive for realistic results.
(2) Broadening propaganda, grasping models well.
It is necessary to adopt many sorts of ways to broaden propaganda, obtain the understanding and support of the broad masses in launching democratic climate discussion work concerning the Central People’s Radio station and Central Television station, and broaden social participation. It is necessary to pay attention to summarizing and propagating the good methods, good experiences and advanced models in launching democratic climate discussion activities.
(3) Grasping focus points, stressing actual effects.
It is necessary to revolve around discussion content, and guide the grasping of discussion focus points. It is necessary to seek for prominent problems that the masses are permitted to reflect, formulate rectification and reform measures, and ruthlessly grasp implementation. It is necessary to, through democratic climate discussion work, research and explore long-term mechanisms for radio station and television station climate construction
(4) Standardizing activities, strictly enforcing discipline.
It is necessary to establish open, fair and just discussion procedures and scientific appraisal systems. It is necessary to make discussion content public, make opinion seeking public, make rectification and reform measures public, and make discussion results public. Personnel of departments participating in discussion may not act as a discussion representative in that department’s democratic climate discussion; departments participating in discussion may not practice fraud, and may not engage in unhealthy tendencies in discussion work.