SARFT Circular Concerning the Situation of Dealing with the Problem of the film “Lost in Beijing” Violating Regulations
3 January 2008
On 3 January, SARFT has issued the “SARFT Circular Concerning the Situation of Dealing with the Problem of the film “Lost in Beijing” Violating Regulations” to all provincial, autonomous region and municipal radio, film and television bureaus, the Xinjiang Production-Construction Corps radio, film and television bureau, all film production work units, film distribution companies, cinema chain companies and directly subordinate film work units in Beijing, the Circular says, the film “Lost in Beijing”, jointly produced by the Beijing Laolei Film Culture Co. Ltd., Beijing Baolina Film Distribution Co. Ltd and Beijing Zhonghong Real Estate Development Group Co. Ltd, has gravely violated the “Film Management Regulations” (hereafter simply named “Regulations” and corresponding laws and regulations in aspects such as film production, participation in international film festivals, Internet dissemination and audiovisual product production, etc., creating harmful effects. Hereby, the relevant circumstances are circulated as follows:
I, The main problems violating regulations of the film “Lost in Beijing”
(1) In violation of regulations, producing fragments with pornographic content (not passed through examination), and without authorization disseminating through the Internet and producing audiovisual products of film containing pornographic content not passed through examination, has violated the provisions of Article 25 of the “Regulations”.
(2) Letting film versions not passed through examination, enter the competition in the 57th Berlin Film Festival, has violated the provisions of Article 24 and Article 35 of the “Regulations”.
(3) Conducting unhealthy and improper advertising and propaganda during film distribution and screening, has violated the provisions of Article 3 of the “Regulations” and the “Advertising Law”.
II, Considering that the above-mentioned grave problems of violation of regulations appear in the film “Lost in Beijing”, in order to strengthen and standardize film production, distribution and screening management, guarantee the healthy and orderly dissemination of films and all sorts of media, further purifying the silver screen and video channels, to create a beneficial cultural environment for the broad masses and especially the youth audiences, according to corresponding laws and regulations such as the “Film Management Regulations”, the “Film Script (Outline) Filing and Film Management Regulations”, the “Dissemination of Audiovisual Products through Information Networks such as the Internet, etc. Management Regulations”, and according to the requirements of the “SARFT Notice Concerning Reaffirming Prohibition of Production and Screening of Pornographic Films”, the “SARFT Notice Concerning Strengthening Internet Dissemination of Film and Television Drama Management”, etc., the abovementioned problems of violation of regulations by the film “Lost in Beijing” are decided to be dealt with as follows:
(1) According to the provision of Articles 42, 43 and 56 of the Regulations, the “Film Public Screening Permit” of the concerned film is revoked, all film copies not having passed through examination and corresponding materials are confiscated, the producing work unit shall deliver the copies, etc., to the SARFT Film Bureau within 15 days; distribution and screening of the concerned film is stopped; its network dissemination is stopped; corresponding administrative entities are suggested to stop the distribution of its audiovisual products.
(2) According to the provisions of Articles 56, 61, 63 and 64 of the “Regulations”, the film production qualifications of the mainly responsible Beijing Laolei Film Culture Co. Ltd, are revoked for two years; the concerned company’s legal representative Fang Li, my not engage in corresponding film work for two years; a report of criticism is made against the Beijing Baolina Film Distribution Co. Ltd. and Beijing Zhonghong Real Estate Group Co. Ltd for having corresponding responsibility and participation in investment and filming, and they are ordered to rectify and improve within a limited time.
(3) Strict criticism and education will be conducted against the producers, director and corresponding actors that participated in filming of the corresponding film, and they are required to do deep examination.