On 3 March, SARFT issued the “Notice Concerning Film Examination Standards” to all provincial, autonomous region and municipal radio, film and television bureaus, all film production work units, the China Film Co-Production Company and the Film Channel Programme Centre, the Notice says that, in order to implement the important deployment of promoting the great development and flourishing of socialist culture as put forward by the 17th Party Congress, implement the spirit of the national radio, film and television bureau director conference and the national film work conference, completely persist in the orientation of the “Two Fors” and the “Double Hundred” policy, persist in the principle of “Three Close Tos”, persist in the correct creative orientation, completely place protecting the healthy upbringing of minors and social interest first, further make creation flourish, strengthen management, clean up the sliver screen, provide healthy, rich and varied spiritual nourishment for the broad popular masses, construct a film environment with even more harmony, that is even more “green”, SARFT has decided to reiterate the relevant provisions from the “Film Management Regulations” and the “Film Script (Outline) Filing and Movie Management Regulations” (State Administration of Radio, Film and Television Decree No. 52, 22 May 2006), all entities and all work units must strictly implement them in links such as filing (project establishment), production, examination, public screening, etc.
I, The State encourages the creation of excellent films with integration of ideological content, artistic quality and enjoyability, close to reality, close to life, close to the masses, benefiting the protection of the healthy upbringing of minors, vigorously developing advanced culture, supporting healthy and beneficial culture, striving to transform backward culture, determinedly resisting degenerate culture.
II, Films may not contain the following content:
(1) content that defies the basic principles determined in the Constitution;
(2) content that endangers the unity of the nation, sovereignty or territorial integrity;
(3) content that divulges secrets of the State, endangers national security or damages the honour or benefits of the State;
(4) content that incites the nation hatred or discrimination, undermines the solidarity of the nations, or infringes upon national customs and habits;
(5) content that propagates evil cults or superstition;
(6) content that disturbs the public order or destroys the public stability;
(7) content that propagates obscenity, gambling, violence or instigates crimes;
(8) content that insults or slanders others, or infringes upon the lawful rights and interests of others;
(9) content that endangers public ethics or the fine folk cultural traditions;
(10) other contents prohibited by laws, regulations or State provisions.
III, Films having the following circumstances, shall be edited or revised:
(1) twisting Chinese culture and Chinese history, gravely violating historical facts; twisting the history of other countries, not respecting other countries’ culture and customs; criticizing images of revolutionary leaders, heroic characters, important historical characters; distorting Chinese and foreign classic books and the images of important characters from classic books;
(2) maliciously criticizing images of the People’s Army, Armed Police, Public Security and the judiciary;
(3) intermittent salaciousness, sex and vulgar content, depicting details such as promiscuity, rape, prostitution, sexual behaviour, homosexuality, masturbation, male and female genitalia and other intimate parts; intermittent filthy lines, songs, background music and sound effects, etc;
(4) intermittent content such as murder, violence, terror, monsters, occultism, etc., value orientations reversing true and false, good and bad, beauty and ugliness, blurring the basic nature of righteousness and unrighteousness; sedulously displaying unlawful or criminal aggressiveness and arrogance, concretely displaying details of criminal activities, revealing special investigation methods; having intensely irritating details such as murder, gore, violence, drug use, gambling, etc, having details such as prisoner abuse, extortion of confession by torturing criminals or criminal suspects; having excessively scary or horrible images, lines, background music and sound effects;
(5) propagating a negative or dispirited view of life, worldview or value system, sedulously playing up or exaggerating ethnic ignorance and backwardness or the dark side of society;
(6) advocating religious extremism, provoking contradictions and conflicts between all religions and religious denominations, or believers and non-believers, harming the feelings of the masses;
(7) propagating the destruction of the natural environment, abuse of animals, catching, killing and eating of State-protected animals;
(8) excessively displaying excessive drinking, smoking and other bad habits;
(9) having violations of the spirit of relevant laws and regulations.
IV, Written language characters such as the film signing, subtitles, etc., shall be implemented according to relevant provision of the “Copyright Law of the People’s Republic of China”, “Law of the People’s Republic of China on the Standard Spoken and Written Chinese Language”, etc.
V, Technical film quality is to be examined according to relevant State film technology standards.
It is hoped that all localities radio and film bureaus, film production work units, film examination organs and creative personnel earnestly implement this, on their own initiative abide by the above provisions, strengthen management according to the law, perfect film examination mechanisms, strictly prohibit activities violating laws and regulations, incessantly raise the ideological and artistic quality of films, guide film creation to completely guarantee the correct orientation, creating a desirable creation environment for promoting the great development and flourishing of socialist culture.
It is hereby notified.