Provisions on the Main Duties, Internal Organization and Personnel Allotment of the Ministry of Culture
SCS No. 79
10 July 2008
On the basis of the State Council organ reform plan approved at the first meeting of the 11th National People’s Congress and the “State Council Notice Concerning Organic Installation” (NDC No. (2008)11), the Ministry of Culture is established, and is a component organ of the State Council.
I, Duty adjustment
(1) Cancelled duties.
Administrative examination and approval matters already cancelled by the State Council.
(2) Reassigned and transferred out duties.
1, appointing film distribution and screening work duties are transferred to the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television.
2, audiovisual product wholesale, retail, rental, screening and import management duties are transferred to the General Administration of Press and Publications.
(3) Reassigned and transferred in duties:
1, State-Council Information Office organization of large-scale foreign culture exchange activity duties are transferred to the Ministry of Culture.
2, State Administration of Radio, Film and Television cartoon (not including film and television cartoons, and cartoon programmes part of network audiovisuals) management duties are transferred to the Ministry of Culture.
3, General Administration of Press and Publications cartoon, network game management (not including on-line pre-publication examination and approval of network games), and corresponding sector planning, sector base, item construction, expo trade and market supervision duties are transferred to the Ministry of Culture.
4, Coordination of drafting cultural market development plans, policies, laws and regulations as well as guiding comprehensive cultural market law enforcement duties are added.
5, Conducting supervision over people-run organs engaging in performing arts activities duties are added.
(4) Strengthened duties.
Promoting public cultural service, guiding grass roots culture construction and protection of intangible cultural heritage duties are strengthened.
II, Main duties
(1) Formulating general and specific culture and art policies, drafting culture and art laws and regulations.
(2) Formulating culture and art undertaking development plans and organizing implementation, moving culture and art-sphere structural and mechanism reform forward.
(3) Guiding and managing culture and art undertakings, guiding art creation and production, promoting all sorts or art development, managing national-scale major cultural events.
(4) Moving culture and art-sphere public culture services forward, planning and guiding public culture product production, guiding State focus culture facility construction and grass roots culture facility construction.
(5) Formulating culture and art industry development plans, guiding and coordinating culture and art production and development, moving foreign-related cultural industry exchange and cooperation forward.
(6) Formulating intangible cultural heritage protection plans, drafting relevant laws and regulations, organizing implementation of intangible cultural heritage protection and excellent ethnic culture inheritance and dissemination work.
(7) Guiding and managing social culture undertakings, guiding library, cultural centre (station) undertaking and grass roots culture construction.
(8) Drafting culture market development plans, guiding comprehensive culture market law enforcement work, being responsible for conducting sector supervision over culture and art business activities, guiding supervision work over people-run organs engaging un performing arts activities.
(9) Being responsible for advance examination and approval work for art-type products’ on-line dissemination, being responsible for implementing business licence management over online service business venues such as Internet cafés, etc., conducting supervision over network gaming services (not including advance examination for network game online publication).
(10) Formulating cartoon and gaming industry development plans and organizing implementation, guiding and coordinating cartoon and gaming industry development.
(11) Formulating cultural science and technology development planning and supervising implementation, moving cultural science and technology information construction forward.
(12) Guiding and managing foreign cultural exchange and foreign cultural propaganda work, organizing the formulation of foreign and Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan cultural exchange policies, guiding the work of embassies (consulates) abroad and Hong Kong and Macau culture organs, representing the State in concluding and signing Sino-foreign cultural cooperation agreements, organizing implementation of large-scale foreign-related cultural exchange activities.
(13) Undertaking other matters as handed over by the State Council.
III, Internal structure
According to the above responsibilities, in the Ministry of Culture, 11 internal organs are set up.
Comprehensively coordinating the organ’s and directly subordinate work units work; supervising and urging the implementation of large ministerial matters; formulating internal organ regulation systems and annual work planning; being responsible for the organ’s daily operation work such as documents and telegrams, meeting affairs, confidential matters, filing, etc.; being responsible for information, secrecy, letters and petitions work and the organ’s financial administration work; managing the organ’s administrative affairs.
(2) Policy, Laws and Regulations Department.
Formulating general and specific culture and art policies, drafting relevant laws and regulations; comprehensively planning and coordinating major culture policy investigation and research work; formulating long-term development plans in culture and art; undertaking the organ’s law work; guiding culture and art-sphere structural and mechanism reform.
(3) Personnel Department.
Being responsible for work such as personnel management, education and training, the organs’ personnel allotment, labour resources, etc. in the organ, directly subordinate work units and cultural organs abroad; formulating and organizing implementation of culture and art sector talent construction planning; in consultation with relevant controlling authorities, guiding working personnel professional qualification management work.
(4) Financial Department
Managing culture undertaking administrative fees; guiding and supervising cultural organs abroad and directly subordinate work units’ financial administration work; being responsible for statistics work of the culture system; being responsible for the basic construction, State-owned resources, government procurement and internal accounting work of the organ and directly subordinate work units; guiding State focus culture facility construction and grass roots culture facility construction; being responsible for Chinese cultural centre construction abroad work.
(5) Art Department.
Formulating literature and art undertaking development plans; supporting representative, exemplary and experimental literature and art product varieties, supporting literature and art work embodying the core Socialist value system and culture and art institutes and groups representing State standards and ethnic characteristics, promoting all sorts of art development; guiding and coordinating nationwide-scale art displays, exhibitions as well as major literature and art events.
(6) Culture Science and Technology Department.
Formulating culture science and technology development plans, coordinating tackling of State focus culture and art science research programme and popularization of major achievements; moving culture science and technology informatization construction forward; being responsible for higher art academy sponsoring work; guiding cultural sector vocational art education; organizing formulation of art level-examination policies and standards, coordination, supervision and implementation; undertaking interprovincial art level-examination organs’ examination and approval work.
(7) Culture Market Department
Formulating culture market development plans and policies, drafting relevant laws and regulations; guiding comprehensive culture market law enforcement, promoting law enforcement strength integration of vice-provincial level cities and county and city-lever or lower entities such as culture, radio, film and television, press and publications, etc., conducting sector management over cultural-sphere business activities; conducting supervision over culture performances, culture entertainment and culture art products; undertaking network music and fine art entertainment, network cartoons (not including cartoon programmes in network audiovisuals), network performance dramas (programmes), network performance work and mobile telephone music advance examination and approval work.; coordinating cartoon and gaming industry planning, industry bases, programme establishment, exhibition trading and market supervision, guiding sector association work; conducting supervision over imported Internet literature and art-type products in the utilization segment; being responsible for implementing business permit management over on-line service business venues such as Internet cafés, etc., conducting content supervision and management over electronic gaming consoles in the production, importation and operation segments; conducting supervision over network gaming services (not including advance on-line publication examination and approval of network gaming); guiding supervision and management work over people-run organs engaging in performing arts activities.
(8) Cultural Industry Department.
Formulating cultural industry development plans and policies, drafting relevant laws and regulations; supporting and promoting cultural industry construction and development; moving cultural industry informatization construction forward; guiding cultural industry base and regional characteristic culture industry grouping forward; promoting implementation of major cultural industry programmes, being responsible for moving foreign cultural industry exchange and cooperation forward.
(9) Social Culture Department.
Formulating social culture undertaking development plans and policies, drafting relevant laws and regulations; guiding mass culture, ethnic minority culture, minors’ culture and old persons’ culture work; guiding library and cultural centre (station) undertakings; guiding information resource sharing projects and ancient book protection work; guiding grass roots mass culture activities, guiding village culture activity rooms and community culture activity centre construction.
(10) Intangible Cultural Heritage Department.
Formulating intangible cultural heritage protection policies, drafting relevant laws and regulations; formulating State-level intangible cultural heritage representation programme protection plans; organizing development of intangible cultural heritage protection work, undertaking State-level intangible cultural heritage representation programme reporting and examining work; organizing implementation of excellent ethnic culture inheritance and popularization work; undertaking compilation work of the Qing dynasty history.
(11) Foreign Culture Contact Department (Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan Office).
Guiding and managing foreign culture exchange and foreign culture propaganda work; organizing formulation of foreign and Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan culture exchange policies, drafting relevant laws and regulations; guiding work by embassies (consulates) abroad and Hong Kong and Macau culture organs; guiding and managing Chinese culture centres abroad work, managing foreign countries’ culture centres in China; organizing launching of cultural exchange work for Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan; undertaking relevant work for concluding and signing Sino-foreign cultural cooperation agreements; organizing large-scale foreign culture exchange events.
The Organ’s Party Committee is responsible for the Party group work in the organ, the State Administration of Cultural Heritage and directly subordinate work units.
The Retired Cadre Department is responsible for retired cadre work of the organ, guiding retired cadre work of directly subordinate work units.
IV, Personnel allotment
The Ministry of Culture organic administrative personnel allotment is 327 (including the two committees’ personnel allotment of 10, detached flexible work allotment of 2, and the retired cadre work personnel allotment of 39). Of those: 1 Minister, 4 Vice-ministers, 44 department and bureau-level leading posts (including 1 Ministerial assistant, 1 organ Party Committee specific duty assistant secretary, 3 retired cadre work office leading posts).
V, Other matters
(1) Management of the State Administration of Cultural Heritage.
(2) Division of responsibility for cartoons and network gaming management. The Ministry of Culture is responsible for industrial planning, industrial bases, project establishment, exhibitions and trade, and market management related to cartoons and network games. The General Administration of Press and publications is responsible for conducting management over cartoons during the process of publishing, and conducts preliminary examination and approval over game publications’ online publication and distribution.
(3) Subordinate undertaking work unit setup, duties and work allotment matters are formulated elsewhere.
The Central Institutional Organization Commission Office is responsible for interpretation of these Regulations, their adjustment shall be conducted according by the Central Institutional Organization Commission Office according to provided procedures.