Provisions on the Main Duties, Internal Organization and Personnel Allotment of the General Administration of Press and Publication (National Copyright Administration)
SCS No. (2008)90
All provincial, autonomous region and municipal People’s Governments, all State Council ministries and commissions, all directly subordinate organs:
The “Provisions on the Main Duties, Internal Organization and Personnel Allotment of the General Administration of Press and Publication (National Copyright Administration)” were already approved by the State Council, and are hereby printed and distributed.
State Council of the People’s Republic of China Secretariat
11 July 2008
Provisions on the Main Duties, Internal Organization and Personnel Allotment of the General Administration of Press and Publication (National Copyright Administration)
On the basis of the “State Council Notice Concerning Organic Installation” (NDC No. (2008)11), the General Administration of Press and Publication (National Copyright Administration)(full ministerial level) is established, and is an organ directly subordinate to the State Council.
I, Duty adjustments
(1) Cancelled duties.
1. Administrative examination and approval matters already promulgated to be cancelled by the State Council.
2. Duties of planning, guiding, approving national-scale printing and duplication equipment expo trade activities
(2) Reassigned and transferred out duties.
1. Cartoon, network game management (not including on-line pre-publication examination and approval of network games), and corresponding sector planning, sector base, item construction, expo trade and market supervision duties are transferred to the Ministry of Culture.
2. Publication quality monitoring and appraisal and network publication content information monitoring and appraisal work has been transferred to a directly subordinate institution work unit.
(3) Reassigned and transferred in duties:
1. The management of audiovisual product wholesale, retail, rental and projection duties of the Ministry of Culture are transferred to the GAPP, and after transfer will be handed over to local governments.
2. The audiovisual product import duties of the Ministry of Culture are transferred to the GAPP.
3. The radio and television organ journalist credential supervision and management duties of SARFT are transferred to the GAPP.
4. The supervision over non-governmental organs engaging in publication activities duties is added.
(4) Added duties.
The guidance of copyright protection work duties is strengthened.
II, Main duties
(1) Drafting of press and publications and copyright management law and regulation drafts, formulating of general and specific policies for the press and publications sector, formulating of press and publications and copyright management rules and organizing implementation.
(2) Formulating press and publication sector and industry development plans, regulating and controlling objectives and sector policies and guide implementation, formulating national publication, printing, duplication, distribution and publications import work units’ total number, structure, deployment planning and organizing implementation, moving forward system and mechanism reform in the press and publication area.
(3) Supervising publication activities, organizing investigation and prosecution of publications gravely violating regulations and major publication activities violating laws and regulations, guiding supervision work of non-governmental organizations engaged in publication activities.
(4) Being responsible for conducting sector supervision over press and publications work units, implementing access and withdrawal management.
(5) Being responsible for publication content supervision, organizing and guiding major Party and State documents and data, focusing on publications and textbook publishing, printing and distribution work, formulating State ancient works arrangement and publication planning and undertaking organization and coordination work.
(6) Being responsible for examination and approval of and supervision over Internet publication activities and opening mobile phone books and periodicals and mobile phone literature sector.
(7) Formulating publications market “Sweeping Pornography and Beating Illegality” planning and organizing implementation, organizing investigation and prosecution of large and major cases of illegal publications and illegal publication activities.
(8) Formulating publications market regulation and control policies and measures and guiding implementation, guiding supervision work over publications market business activities.
(9) Being responsible for national press and publications work units’ journalist credentials’ supervision and management, being responsible for domestic press publishers and press agencies’ branch organs’ and journalist stations’ supervision, organizing investigation and prosecution of major unlawful news activities.
(10) Being responsible for supervision over the printing sector.
(11) Being responsible for copyright management work, organizing investigation and prosecution of copyright infringement cases wish a major influence and foreign-related infringement cases, being responsible for dealing with foreign-related copyright relations and relevant reaction work to international copyright treaties.
(12) Organizing development of work relevant to press and publications and copyright foreign exchange and cooperation, being responsible for publications import management work, coordinating and promoting publications import and export.
(13) Undertaking other matters assigned by the Central Committee or the State Council.
III, Internal Structure
On the basis of the abovementioned duties, the GAPP (NCA) establishes 12 internal organs (full department or office level):
(1) Secretariat (Financial Affairs Department)
Supervising, urging and coordinating the implementation of major GAPP matters; being responsible for daily operation work of the office, such as documents and telegrams, meetings, confidential and important matters, filing, etc., and information, secret-keeping, and ombudsman work; being responsible for office finance, directly subordinate work unit administrative undertaking expenses, special funds and internal accounting work; being responsible for accounting work of the press and publications system.
(2) Laws and Regulations Department
Drafting law and regulation drafts for press and publications, and copyright management; drafting, examining and verifying rules and standardizing documents in press and publications, and copyright management; undertaking GAPP administrative punishment and administrative coercion letter examination and verification, undertaking GAPP administrative punishment hearings, administrative redress and administrative lawsuit response matters; undertaking drafting and coordination work for important documents related to GAPP.
(3) General Professional Department.
Organizing and coordinating GAPP administrative examination and approval work; undertaking examination and approval work of publications work units (including Internet Publication), establishment and modification of duplication work units and distribution work units relating to publications; undertaking examination and approval work for newly-established newspapers, periodicals, domestic media branch organs and newspaper or periodical modification; conducting preliminary examination and approval of on-line publication and distribution of network literature, network books and periodicals and game publications, conducting examination and approval of establishing mobile telephone books and periodicals and mobile literature services; undertaking examination and approval work of establishment of Sino-foreign contractual, cooperative and wholly-foreign owned publications retail enterprises as well as publications import work unit establishment; guiding press and publications administrative examination and approval reform work.
(4) Publishing Industry Development Department.
Formulating general and specific policies for press and publications industry development; undertaking examination and approval work for newspaper sector, publishing and distribution group reform plans; formulating development plans, regulation and control objectives and industrial policies for the press and publications sector and the printing sector; participating in formulating relevant policies and regulation and control steps for the press and publications sector and the printing sector; formulating plans on the printing industry’s total amounts, structure and distribution and organizing implementation.
(5) News Newspapers and Periodicals Press.
Formulating plans on the newspapers’’ and periodicals’ total amounts, structures and distribution and organizing implementation.; being responsible for the supervision of publishing activities of newspapers ( newspaper publishers) and periodicals (periodical publishers); undertaking filing work for major newspaper and periodical special features; organizing reading and evaluation, and public opinion analysis work of newspaper and periodical content; regulating and controlling the total amount of newspaper and periodical organs and periodical registration numbers; undertaking supervision work of examination and verification , granting, filing and managing of news journalist cards nationwide; undertaking supervision of domestic newspaper and periodical publishers’ and press agencies’ branch organs and journalist stations, organizing investigation and prosecution of major illegal news activities.
(6) Publications Management Department (Ancient Books Arrangement and Publication Planning Office).
Formulating plans on the book, audiovisual and electronic publication work units’ total amounts, structures and distribution, and organizing implementation; undertaking publishing work units’ annual publication planning and major special feature filing work; organizing guidance of the publication work of major Party and State documents and historical work, focal publications and textbooks; organizing trial reading of books trial listening and trial watching of audiovisual products and electronic publications; undertaking organization and coordination work for the State ancient book arrangement and publication plans; examining imported audiovisual products; being responsible for conducting examination and approval of publishing electronic publications authorized by a foreign copyright holder; organizing regulation and control of the total amount of publication sorts and book numbers and edition numbers; guiding supervision work over non-governmental organs engaging in publishing.
(7) Printing and Distribution Management Department.
Formulating plans on the publications printing, duplication and distribution work units’ total amount, structure and distribution; being responsible for supervision over publications’ publishing, printing, duplication and distribution; organizing investigation and prosecution of publications gravely violating regulations and major publication activities violating laws and regulations; undertaking examination and verification work of State-limited import of printing equipment; organizing guidance of printing and distribution work of major Party and State documents and historical books, focal publications and textbooks; moving press and publications-area public services forward, guiding organization and implementation of rural book room and community book room projects;
(8) Science, Technology and Digital Publication Department.
Formulating plans on the press and publications sector science and technology development and guiding implementation; organizing and coordinating press and publications sector science and technology progress work; formulating industry standards for the press and publications sector and the printing sector and organizing supervision and examination; formulation Internet and digital publications’ corresponding industry standards; being responsible for conducting examination and approval of publication of Internet game works authorized by foreign copyright holders, conducting supervision over network literature and network books and periodicals, conducting supervision over mobile telephone books and periodicals, and mobile telephone literature services; implementing supervision over network and digitally published publication content and publication activities; formulating development plans and management steps for Internet publishing and digital publishing development and organizing implementation.
(9)Anti-Illegal and Violating Publications Department (National “Sweeping Pornography and Striking Illegality” Work Office).
Formulating general and specific policies and planning for publications market and Internet “Sweeping Pornography and Striking Illegality” and organizing implementation; organizing and coordinating “Sweeping Pornography and Striking Illegality” concentrated operations and interdepartmental or interregional “Sweeping Pornography and Striking Illegality” work; organizing investigation and prosecution of illegal publications and illegal publication activities’ large cases and major cases; undertaking work relevant to attacking infringement and piracy, and “Sweeping Pornography and Striking Illegality” reporting rewards. Undertaking the daily work of the National “Sweeping Pornography and Striking Illegality” small work groups.
(10) Copyright Management Department.
Formulating copyright management, protection and application policies; organizing and moving the switch to legal software forward; undertaking examination and approval of establishment of copyright collective management organs and guiding their work; supervising work of works’ copyright registration and statutory licence use works, undertaking management and application of works over which the State holds copyright; organizing investigation and prosecution of major copyright infringement cases; undertaking matters concerning foreign-related copyright treaties, handling foreign-related and Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan-related copyright relations; supervising foreign-related copyright trade, foreign works’ copyright authentication and voluntary work registration work; undertaking examination and approval work for appointed foreign copyright authentication organs, foreign and international copyright organizations establishing representative organs in China.
(11) Foreign Exchange and Cooperation Department (Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan Office)
Undertaking foreign and Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan exchange and cooperation affairs in aspects of press and publications, and copyright; undertaking execution work of matters relevant to press and publications, and copyright in intergovernmental cultural agreements; guiding and coordinating publications’ coming to China (entering the borders) for exhibitions, exhibition retail and import management work; formulating policies and plans for publications “stepping out”, organizing and promoting publications’ export.
(12) Human Resources Department.
Being responsible for the organ’s human resources management and directly subordinate work units’ GAPP management cadre management works; being responsible for the organ’s and directly subordinate undertaking work unit organizational personnel allotment, work salaries and related human resource work; formulating and organising implementation of press and publications sector talented personnel team establishment planning, jointly with relevant competent authorities, guiding employed personnel’s professional qualifications management and professional skill appraisal work.
The organs’ Party Committee is responsible for Party organization work in the organ and directly subordinate work units.
The retired cadre work office is responsible for the organs’ retired cadre work, and guiding directly subordinate work units’ retired cadre work.
IV, Personnel Allotment
The General Administration of Press and Publications (National Copyright Administration) organ’s administrative personnel allotment is 196 (including the two committees’ personnel allotment of 6, detached flexible work allotment of 2, and the retired cadre work personnel allotment of 10). Of those, 1 director (simultaneously National Copyright Administration director), 4 assistant directors, 1 National Copyright Administration specific assistant director (assistant ministry level), 43 department and bureau leading posts (including 1 organ Party Committee specific duty assistant secretary, 1 retired cadre work office leading post)
V, Other matters
(1) The General Administration of Press and Publications (National Copyright Administration) when managing copyright, shall exercise their powers under the name of National Copyright Administration.
(2) Cartoon and network game management responsibility work division. The General Administration of Press and publications is responsible for conducting management over cartoons during the process of publishing, and conducts preliminary examination and approval over game publications’ online publication and distribution. The Ministry of Culture is responsible for industrial planning, industrial bases, project establishment, exhibitions and trade, and market management related to cartoons and network games.
(3) News work units’ journalist card supervision management responsibility work division. The General Administration of Press and Publications is responsible for supervision and management over news work units’ journalist cards nationwide. The State Administration of Radio, Film and Television in coordination with the General Administration of Press and Publications conducts management over radio and television journalist cards.
(4)Where there are problems in the personnel allotment, it is necessary to solicit the opinion of the competent authority of the organ’s personnel allotment in advance, organ personnel allotment matters are reported by the soliciting work unit to the organ’s personnel allotment competent authority for examination and approval.
(5) The establishment, responsibilities and personnel allotment matters of subordinate undertaking work units will be regulated elsewhere.
VI, Supplementary articles
The Central Institutional Organization Commission Office is responsible for interpretation of these Regulations, their adjustment shall be conducted according by the Central Institutional Organization Commission Office according to provided procedures.
This entry was posted in Audiovisual Publications, Content Management, Copyright, Examination Procedure, Foreign-Related and Import, Illegal Publications, International Treaties and Commitments, Internet, Personnel, Piracy, State Council.