Provisions on the Main Duties, Internal Organization and Personnel Allotment of the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television
SCS No. (2008)89
All provincial, autonomous region and municipal People’s Governments, all State Council ministries and commissions, all directly subordinate organs:
The “Provisions on the Main Duties, Internal Organization and Personnel Allotment of the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television” were already approved by the State Council, and are hereby printed and distributed.
State Council of the People’s Republic of China Secretariat
11 July 2008
Provisions on the Main Duties, Internal Organization and Personnel Allotment of the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television
On the basis of the “State Council Notice Concerning Organic Installation” (NDC No. (2008)11), the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (full ministerial level) is established, and is an organ directly subordinate to the State Council.
I, Duty adjustments
(1) Cancelled duties.
1. Administrative examination and approval matters already promulgated to be cancelled by the State Council.
2. The duty of guiding and balancing film production work units’ annual production plan.
(2) Reassigned and transferred out duties.
1. Radio and television journalist card supervision manufacturing management duties are handed over to the General Administration of Press and Publications.
2. Cartoon (not including film and television cartoons and network audiovisual cartoon programmes) management duties are handed over to the Ministry of Culture.
(3) Newly added and transferred in duties:
1. The Ministry of Culture’s duties in guiding film distribution and screening work are brought into the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television.
2. Duties of conducting management to non-governmental organs engaging in radio, film and television programme production are added.
(4) Strengthened duties
Professional supervision duties over information network audiovisual programme (comprising network dissemination of film and television-type audiovisual products) services and public audiovisual media dissemination programmes are strengthened.
II, Main duties
(1) Formulating general and specific policies for radio, film and television propaganda and creation, grasping correct public opinion guidance and creation orientation.
(2) Drafting law and regulation drafts for radio, film and television and information network audiovisual programme services, formulating corresponding technical standards and departmental rules, moving structural reform in the radio, film and television area forward.
(3) Organizing moving forward of public service in the area of radio, film and television, organizing implementation of major radio, film and television projects, assisting the old, ethnic minority, border and poor regions in radio, film and television development, guiding and supervising radio, film and television focal infrastructure construction.
(4) Formulating radio, film and television undertaking and industry development planning, guiding and coordinating radio, film and television undertaking and industry development, managing national-scale major radio, film and television activities.
(5) Being responsible for radio, film and television, and information network audiovisual programme service organ and professional supervision and implementing entry and withdrawal management, guiding supervision work over non-governmental organs engaging in radio, film and television programme production.
(6) Supervising radio, film and television programmes, information network programmes and audiovisual programmes broadcasted public audiovisual media, examining content and quality.
(7) Guiding radio, film and television, and information network audiovisual programme service science and technology work, being responsible for supervising radio, film and television programme’s transmission, monitoring and safe broadcasting.
(8) Guiding and managing radio, film and television foreign and Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau cooperation, being responsible for radio, film and television programme import and inclusion management.
(9) Leading the China National Radio, China International Radio and China Central Television, conducting guidance, coordination and management over major matters such as propaganda, development, transmission coverage, etc.
(10) Undertaking other matters assigned by the Central Committee or the State Council.
III, Internal Structure
On the basis of the abovementioned duties, the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television establishes 12 internal organs (full department or office level):
Supervising and urging the implementation of major SARFT arrangements and matters; researching the formulation of radio, film and television policies; guiding structural reform in the radio, film and television area; undertaking examination and approval work for major radio, film and television reform schemes; being responsible for being responsible for daily operation work of the organ, such as documents and telegrams, meetings, confidential and important matters, filing, etc., and information, secret-keeping, and ombudsman work; being responsible for the organ’s finance; guiding the organ’s logistic service management.
(2) Laws and Regulations Department.
Drafting law and regulation drafts for radio, film and television; undertaking SARFT administrative permit hearings, major administrative punishment hearings, administrative redress and administrative lawsuit reaction work; guiding, coordinating and undertaking work related to radio, film and television and intellectual property rights.
(3) Propaganda Management Department.
Formulating radio and television propaganda planning and policies, and organizing implementation; guiding and supervision radio and television propaganda and broadcast work; concretely guiding the major propaganda work of China National Radio, China International Radio and China Central Television; guiding, supervising and managing the production and broadcast of treatise films, documentary films, television cartoons; guiding and coordinating major national-scale radio and television activities.
(4) Film Management Bureau
Formulating film undertaking and industry development plans and policies; guiding and supervising film production, distribution and screening work; undertaking film production work unit and interregional distribution and screening work unit establishment and cancelling examination and approval work; organizing examination of films and corresponding programmes broadcasted on film channels; granting and cancelling film shooting and screening permits; guiding and organizing the implementation of rural film screening projects; guiding film file management and technical research and development work; undertaking international cooperation work and exchange matters such foreign cooperative film production, and film import and export; guiding special film fund management; guiding and coordination major national-scale film activities.
(5) Television Drama Management Department
Formulating television drama and radio drama policies and industry development plans; guiding and supervising television drama production; organizing examination of the content of domestically produced television dramas, imported television dramas and foreign-related coproduced television dramas (including cartoons), granting and cancelling domestically produced television drama distribution permits, guiding and coordinating television drama broadcast.
(6) Communication Media Organ Management Department.
Formulating radio and television programme broadcast organ and production organ development plans; undertaking examination and approval work of county-level or higher radio and television broadcast organs and channels or frequencies, undertaking examination and approval work of radio and television programme and television drama production work unit establishment and cancellation; granting and cancelling television drama production permits; conducting supervision and examination over radio and television broadcast (transmission) organs’ professional work; undertaking examination and approval work of provincial-level intraregional or inter-provincial-level regional operation of radio and television programme transmission work; supervising mobile television work and radio and television channel on-demand broadcast work; guiding and supervising radio and television advertising broadcast and public audiovisual media’s radio, film and television programme broadcast.
(7) Network Audiovisual Programme Management Department.
Formulating information network audiovisual programme service development plans and policies, guiding network audiovisual programme services development and propaganda; undertaking examination and approval work for opening information network audiovisual programme (including IP television, network radio and television, mobile telephone audiovisual programmes) service operations and being responsible for content management.
(8) Science and Technology Department.
Formulating science and technology development plans, policies and technical standards for radio, film, television and audiovisual-type new media; formulating radio, film and television transmission coverage networks and monitoring or supervision network planning; guiding their establishment and opening at different levels; with the entrustment of State wireless management organs, organizing and working out plans for radio and television special purpose frequencies; assigning technical parameters such as radio and television frequencies (channels) and power, etc., being responsible for radio, film and television safe broadcast management and technical guarantees; guiding the radio, film and television system’s technical operation safeguard work; being responsible for radio, film and television technical quality supervision work, guiding monitoring, measuring examination work; undertaking radio, film and television foreign-related science and technology exchange work.
(9) Planning and Financial Department.
Working out radio, film and television comprehensive development plans, formulating economic policies relating to radio, film and television undertakings and industries; organizing implementation of focal project establishment such as radio and television rural connection, etc.; managing administrative and undertaking fees and special funds; managing the organ’s and its directly subordinate work units State-owned assets; being responsible for basic SARFT construction programmes, government procurement and internal auditing; being responsible for the radio, film and television system’s statistics work.
(10) International Cooperation Department (Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan Office).
Formulating radio, film and television foreign work policies; guiding and supervising foreign and Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan radio, film and television exchange and cooperation; organizing and implement in radio, film and television “stepping out” work; supervising foreign radio and television programme import and broadcast, and Sino-foreign television programme cooperation production and broadcast, granting and cancelling foreign television drama, cartoon and coproduced drama distribution permits; supervising satellite television receiving equipment and foreign satellite television programme landing and receiving.
(11) Human Resources Department.
Being responsible for the organ’s and directly subordinate work units’ human resource management, the organs’ personnel allotment, education and training, work salary, etc.; formulating and organizing implementation of radio, film and television-sector talented personnel team construction plans; jointly with relevant competent authorities; guiding employed personnel qualifications management and professional skills appraisal work.
(12) Safeguard Department.
Guiding the radio, film and television system’s safeguard work; organizing the formulation of safety systems, regulations and emergency response cases to deal with major public order, fire prevention or sudden incidents; guiding and managing safety and safeguarding work of the organ and important work units such as China National Radio, China International Radio and China Central Television, etc.; providing safety guarantees for radio and television programme and core secrets and crucial points.
The organs’ Party Committee is responsible for Party organization work in the organ and directly subordinate work units.
The retired cadre work office is responsible for the organs’ retired cadre work, and guiding directly subordinate work units’ retired cadre work.
IV, Personnel allotment
The State Administration of Radio, Film and Television’s administrative personnel allotment is 292 (including the two committees’ personnel allotment of 5, assisting, detached or flexible work allotment of 3, retired cadre work personnel allotment of 29). Of those: 1 director, 4 assistant directors, 45 department or bureau-level leading posts (including 1 Party Committee special assistant secretary, 3 retired cadre bureau leading posts).
V, Other matters
(1) Cartoon and network game management duty work division. The State Administration of Radio, Film and Television is responsible for conducting management over film and television cartoons and network audiovisual cartoon programmes. The Ministry of Culture is responsible for industrial planning, industrial bases, programme establishment, exhibition and transactions and market supervision related to cartoons and network games.
(2) News work units’ journalist card production management duty work division. The State Administration of Radio, Film and Television conducts management over radio and television journalist cards jointly with the General Administration of Press and Publications. The General Administration of Press and Publications is responsible for news work units’ journalist card supervision and management nationwide.
VI, Supplementary provisions
The Central Institutional Organization Commission Office is responsible for interpretation of these Regulations, their adjustment shall be conducted according by the Central Institutional Organization Commission Office according to provided procedures.