All provincial, autonomous region and municipal culture halls (bureaus), Xinjiang Production-Construction Corps Culture Bureau, State Cultural Relics Bureau, all work units directly subordinate to the Ministry of Culture, all culture offices (groups) in embassies and consulates abroad:
In order to deeply implement the scientific development view, according to the “State 11th Five-Year Plan Period Culture Development Planning Programme” and the “Cultural Industry Promotion Plan”, and in order to accelerate cultural industry development, the following opinions are put forward.
I, Importance and urgency of accelerating cultural industry development
The 17th Party Congress has raised the important strategic tasks of promoting great development and flourishing of socialist culture, and making a new high tide of socialist cultural construction rise up, has raised a number of new requirements concerning accelerating cultural industry development, has greatly increased the function and position of the cultural industries. Cultural industries are an important medium for making socialist culture develop and flourish under market economic conditions, are an important channel for satisfying the masses’ diverse, multi-level and many-faceted spiritual cultural needs, are an important focal point for promoting economic structure adjustment, transforming industrial development methods and preserving smooth and relatively quick economic development, are important content in implementing economic, political, cultural and social comprehensive coordination of sustainable development, are the main force of promoting Chinese culture to step out. Accelerating cultural industry development is a necessary requirement and an intrinsic need for cultural industry learning and implementation of the scientific development view, and is a necessary requirement and an urgent need for cultural administration entities to develop with the times, transform their own functions and develop their services. Since the 16th Party Congress, our country’s culture industry has presented desirable tendencies, healthy and upward, vigorously developing, has increased in strength, has expanded in scope, has improved in quality, has seen speedy rise of new forms of commerce, and is presently an important engine of promoting great development and great flourishing of socialist culture and a new growth point for economic development.
At the same time it must be remarked, that our country’s cultural industry development levels is not yet high, and its vitality is not strong. There is insufficient thinking and knowledge concerning cultural industry development, there is not enough work strength, and the strategic tasks and requirements of cultural construction of “Two Greats and One New” are not yet mutually adapted; the overall industry value and levels are on the low side, contribution to and influence on the economy is on the small side, it is not yet adapted to the masses’ daily increasing spiritual culture needs; science and technology application in the cultural industry sphere and modern dissemination method use is relatively low, there is no adaptation with swift development and broad application of modern science and technology yet; in foreign-related cultural trade cultural products with international influence are lacking, and there is no mutual adaptation with the new circumstances of incessant broadening of foreign opening. Realistically enlarging strength, accelerating the rate of advance, promoting the great development of the cultural industries, is already an important and urgent task facing cultural administration entities and the cultural sector.
At present, the cultural industries are presented with important development opportunities. The overall national strength goes up incessantly, the masses’ cultural needs are more prolific every day, cultural consumption speed is increasing, providing a broad prospect for cultural industry development; Party and government hold it in high regards, cultural industry policies are incessantly perfected, cultural system reform is deepened and pushed forward, providing powerful guarantees for cultural industry development; science and technology are swiftly developing, providing beneficial conditions for cultural industry innovation of business forms, broadening dissemination, transformation and upgrading; cultural dissemination channels are incessantly expanded, providing new development opportunities for cultural industries having content creation production at the core; the global financial crisis has magnified the special characteristic of cultural industries going in the opposite direction, providing a desirable juncture for cultural industry development; the influence of Chinese culture enlarges incessantly, providing a platform for the complete raising of international competitiveness for the Chinese cultural industries. Culture administration entities must grasp opportunities, overcome difficulties, tenaciously forge ahead, achieve results, promote both good and quick cultural industry development.
II, Accelerating cultural industry development guiding thoughts, basic principles and main objectives
(1) Guiding thoughts. Taking Deng Xiaoping and the important “Three Represents” thought as guidance, deeply implementing the scientific development view, according to the requirements of the “State 11th Five-Year Plan Period Culture Development Planning Programme” and the “Cultural Industry Promotion Plan”, further liberating and developing cultural production power, deepening cultural system reform, fostering market subjects, transforming the way of development, optimizing industrial structure, promoting industrial innovation, expanding cultural consumption, realizing both good and quick cultural industry development.
(2) Basic principles. Persisting in taking people as central, through cultural industry development satisfying the masses’ daily increasing spiritual culture needs, implementing well, protecting well and developing well the masses’ cultural rights and interests’ persisting in taking development as main theme, making cultural industry into an important channel of making socialist culture flourish under market economy conditions, expanding industrial scale, raising industrial quality, raising industrial efficiency; persisting in taking reform and innovation as impetus, creating a desirable system structure and policy environment for cultural industry development, innovating cultural production, dissemination, circulation and consumption methods, raising industrial core competitiveness; persisting in giving priority to social interests, realizing the integration of social interests and economic interests.
(3) Main objectives. Cultural industry development speed to be clearly higher than the concurrent GDP growth speed, progressively increasing proportion of the national economy, vigorously strive to realize the added value of the cultural industry to attain double the value of the year 2007 by the end of the 11th Five-Year Plan. Making cultural industry structure more reasonable, making the deployment more scientific, making cultural products and services richer and more diverse, making cultural product markets and essential markets more complete, making cultural market order more standardized, making cultural industry development guarantee systems more perfect, making the cultural industry’s complete influence and competitiveness clearly stronger, making a large match of excellent cultural products that are deeply loved by the masses emerge, shaping a batch of cultural enterprises and enterprise groups having strong power. The development of sectors such as performing arts, cartoons, games, etc., must enter into the most advanced ranks of the world. Basically transforming the cultural products and services export deficit situation, clearly raising Chinese culture’s international influence. Perfecting commercial culture work units transformation into enterprises. Fostering a batch of listed cultural enterprises. Establishing a literature and art performance venue chain covering the entire country, fostering a batch of interregional performing arts group companies, forging a batch of performing arts repertoires that can be provided to the market on a year round basis, establishing 2 – 3 national-level cartoon and game sector general demonstration parks, promoting construction of Chinese culture theme parks with international influence, forging a batch of cultural exhibitions, holiday activities having international influence, fostering a batch of cartoon and network gaming enterprises with international competitiveness.
III, Cultural industry development direction and development focus
(1) Performing arts. Making theatrical art creation flourish, encouraging and supporting investment and initiation of performance groups, performance venues, performance management organs and performance organization activities. According to the requirements of integrating resources, adjusting deployment, optimizing structures and raising effect, energetically moving resource reorganization forward, raising the complete performing art industry development quality and level, raising the performing arts sector marketization level. Strengthening performance network establishment, promoting performance venue chains and related service sector cooperation. Promoting performing arts cooperating with tourism, exhibitions, communication media, science and technology, etc., forging performance programmes rich in distinguishing features. Energetically promoting performing arts products stepping towards the world.
(2) Cartoon sector. Encouraging creation of cartoon styles and cartoon brands with Chinese-style and international influence, capturing the domestic mainstream market, vigorously expanding international markets, making our country’s cartoon industry ascend to the world’s powerful cartoon country ranks. Implementing domestic cartoon promotion projects, raising original cartoon product quality, strengthening cartoon art and technology innovation abilities and market sales abilities, shaping mutually linked industrial links in creation, production and sales. Vigorously developing burgeoning commerce forms such as network cartoons and mobile phone cartoons, etc. Encouraging development of cartoon service packages catering to the international market.
(3) Cultural entertainment sector. Promoting song and dance entertainment venues’ healthy development, expanding the masses’ cultural consumption. Vigorously developing burgeoning entertainment methods having ethnic characteristics, healthy and striving upwards, with advanced technology, innovating entertainment industry forms. Adjusting and optimizing entertainment venue structures, encouraging entertainment enterprises to operate in chains. In large and middle cities, vigorously developing comprehensive culture entertainment facilities unifying performing arts, leisure, tourism, food and drink, shopping, fitness, etc. Focusing on supporting major parks having indigenous intellectual property rights, a high technological content, and being rich in Chinese culture characteristics, persisting in scientific planning, reasonable deployment, orderly development, preventing blind construction.
(4) Gaming sector. Strengthening the core competitiveness of the gaming sector, promoting ethnic network game creation development, raising game products’ cultural content. Encouraging research and development of network gaming technology with indigenous intellectual property rights, electronic game software equipment, optimizing gaming industry structure, raising gaming industry’s moral quality, promoting integrated development of network gaming, electronic gaming and domestic audiovisual gaming. Encouraging gaming enterprises to forge Chinese gaming brands, vigorously expanding into foreign markets.
(5) Cultural exhibition sector. Development all sorts of general and specialized cultural exhibition activities, focusing on supporting cultural exhibition activities covering the entire country and with international influence, focusing on developing specialized and distinguishing cultural exhibition activities. Arranging major cultural exhibitions such as the China (Shenzhen) International Cultural Industries Fair, the China Beijing Cultural Creative Industries Fair, etc., forging cultural product display and trade platforms, promoting cultural consumption and cultural trade. Arranging cultural activities and exhibitions related to the Shanghai World Expo of 2010. Expanding cultural consumption of exhibitions and festivals. Promoting cultural exhibitions and festivals to cooperate with tourism and business. Encouraging domestic enterprises and individuals to attend foreign cultural exhibition activities, promoting foreign culture popularization activities’ industrialization of operations. Strengthening guidance and standardization of local cultural exhibitions and festival activities.
(6) Cultural tourism sector. Promoting the integration of culture and tourism, raising the content of tourism with culture, expanding the dissemination and consumption of culture with tourism. Forging a series of cultural tourism activities and brands, supporting cultural tourism programmes with local and ethnic characteristics, establishing the “Cultural Tourism Festival Activity Support Directory” and the “Chinese Cultural Tourism, Focus Programme Directory”. Encouraging the integration of performing arts with tourism resources, forging excellent performing art brands of high quality and with characteristics in famous touristic scenic areas. On the basis of effective protection, scientifically exploiting and using famous historical and cultural cities, cultural relics and historic sites, reasonably exploiting traditional handicraft skill-type and performance-type intangible cultural heritage. Deeply exploiting cultural tourism handicraft products, raising ranks, broadening markets.
(7) Artworks and arts and crafts. Letting fine art flourish, stimulating the healthy development of contemporary artwork industries, encouraging the initiation of artwork business organs, encouraging collection of artworks, fostering sincere art galleries, promoting the marketization of Chinese contemporary artworks abroad. Supporting traditional arts and crafts to face the market, encouraging arts and crafts skill innovation. Encouraging peasants to become rich through handiwork skills. Supporting the development of cultural relic copy industries, raising cultural copy skills and levels, expanding cultural copy markets.
(8) Art creation and design. Forcefully developing two-dimensional design, exterior design, arts and crafts design, sculpture design, clothing design and exhibition design, raising design creativity capacity and levels. Supporting the domestic and foreign marketing of design products having ethnic traditional culture characteristics. Promoting the art creation and design sector to cooperate with other industries, raising other industries’ cultural content and aesthetic effect. Encouraging the development of art design service packages facing foreign markets.
(9) Network culture. Raising network music, network art and other network culture products’ original creation levels, raising cultural grade, giving rein to the important function of network cultural industries in cultural construction. Stimulating the blending and linking of network culture industry chains and corresponding segments, innovating retail and marketing models. Encouraging and supporting digital technology, network technology as well as computer hardware enterprises and communications enterprises to participate in the production and operation of network culture content products. Continuing to progressively move network chain transformation, upscaling, specialization and branded operation forward.
(1) Digital cultural product production and corresponding services. Developing digital cultural content industries with digitized production and digitized dissemination as main trait. Encouraging and supporting conducting digitalization transformation and exploitation of stage plays, music, fine arts, cultural relics, intangible cultural heritage and documentary history resources. Forcefully adopting digital technology to disseminate cultural products, providing content for all sorts of easy-to-carry display terminals, enriching cultural expression forms and dissemination channels.
IV, Main tasks in accelerating cultural industry development.
(1) Deepening cultural structural reform. According to the Centre’s requirements concerning deepening cultural structural reform, accelerating the pace of commercial cultural undertaking work units’ transformation into enterprises, establishing modern enterprise systems, perfecting legal person governance structures. Encouraging State-owned cultural enterprises with a good maturity and strong competitiveness, launching cross-sector, cross-region and cross-ownership system merging and reorganization, growing strong and growing large swiftly.
(2) Encouraging non-public capital to enter into cultural industries. Earnestly implementing the “Some State Council Opinions concerning Non-Public Capital Entering the Cultural Industry”, formulating the “Ministry of Culture Cultural Industry Investment Guidance Catalogue”, guiding, supporting and standardizing non-public capital to enter the cultural industries. Vigorously encouraging non-public capital to participate in cultural undertaking works units transforming into enterprises. Non-public cultural industries are to be treated equally with State-owned cultural enterprises in aspects such as financial support, programme examination and approval, government procurement, job title evaluation, naming comparison and assessment, honours and awards, etc.
(3) Fostering backbone cultural enterprises. Striving to foster a batch of powerful and competitive backbone cultural enterprises, giving rein to their pioneering function in areas such as performing arts, cartoons, games, network culture, digital programme production, etc. Using methods such as joint ventures, cooperation, etc., to develop joint-stock enterprises, guiding strategic investors, fostering a batch of publicly traded companies with a prominent core business, and strong core competitiveness. Promoting resource integration of the performing arts sector, and the cartoon and games sector, shaping a batch of performing arts and cartoon enterprise groups with indigenous innovation capacity across the country. Shaping some performing art theatre chains with a concentrating effect and strong radiation across the country.
(4) Incessantly extending cultural industry chains. Using capital forces to strengthen resource integration, connecting creative design, research, development and production, retail and marketing, derived products and other industry chains. Vigorously integrating creation, troupes, theatres, management and other performing arts resources, shaping performing arts industry chains closely linking and mutually supporting script creation, performance planning, theatre operation, market retail, performing art product exploitation, etc. With strengthening cartoon and game original creation capacity at the core, through methods such as image and work authorization, etc. forcefully exploiting corresponding derived products such as books, audiovisuals, clothing, toys, stationery, theme parks, etc., incessantly extending industry chains, raising products’ added value.
(5) Constructing modern cultural industry bases and parks. Establishing a batch of cultural industry demonstration bases and demonstration parks with a high launch point, economies of scale, that represent national levels and future development orientations, vigorously striving for support in land use, tax collection and other policies. Establishing a batch of public service platforms providing conveniences for research, development and design, information consulting, product production cooperation and trade, etc. Strengthening planning, accreditation, adjustment and guidance work concerning State-level and provincial-level cultural industry park construction, determining accreditation standards, straiten examination and approval procedures, launching regular assessment, implementing dynamic management, persisting in preventing jumping on the bandwagon, blind construction and malicious competition. Through scientific planning, policy guidance and reasonable norms, making basis and parks into incubators for cultural science and technology innovation, boosters for the rapid development of cultural enterprises and great platforms for concentrated cultural industry development.
(6) Implementing major project driver strategies. With cultural enterprises at the core, expanding policy support strength, fully mustering social forces from all sides, accelerating the construction of a batch of major cultural industry programmes with a major demonstration function and industry driving function. Realistically grasping the implementation of major cultural industry programmes determined in the “Cultural Industry Promotion Plan”. At the same time, all localities must, according to the real situation, fully use their talent and technology superiority, scientifically elaborate and earnestly plan a batch of pioneering, basic and strategic major programmes, and grant vigorous support in aspects such as programme establishment, policy support, bank credit, land use, complementary services, etc.
(7) Constructing modern cultural market systems. Establishing and perfecting a cultural product market and cultural factor market with complete categories. Establishing new types of cultural product allocation systems, forcefully develop chain operation. Vigorously promoting nationwide cultural ticketing service network construction, with large and middle cities at the core, as quickly as possible developing performance ticketing retail terminals spread all over the country. Developing cultural intermediary service organizations such as management and agents, assessment and authentication, copyright trade, marketing and consulting, etc., guiding their standardized operation, and developing in the direction of branding and specialization.
(8) Establishing and perfecting cultural industry investment systems. Coordinating financial supervision and management organs, jointly researching the formulation of policies and rules concerning financial support of cultural industry development. Establishing long-term cooperation mechanisms with banks and other financial organs, incessantly expanding the sphere of cooperation. Supporting and organizing cultural credit guarantee companies, striving to establish cultural enterprise loan discount mechanisms. Supporting and organizing many forms of cultural industry business start-up and risk investment funds. Through improving intangible asset valuation and pledging rules, promoting banks to launch cultural industry credit work, and create conditions for cultural enterprise financing. Encouraging cultural enterprises meeting conditions to go on the market for finding and to distribute enterprise bonds, financial bills, etc. Vigorously attracting strategic investors with solid strength, launching long-term cooperation mechanisms in many kinds of forms, strengthening cultural enterprises’ capital strength.
(9) Utilizing high and new technology to stimulate cultural industry upgrading. Accelerating the integration of culture with science and technology, using modern science and technologies to innovate traditional cultural sectors, and hasten the creation of new cultural business models. Vigorously popularizing stage technology, network technology, digital technology, virtual technology, simulation technology, spoken and written language technology, audio technology, imaging technology, cartoon production technology and new materials technology. Promoting relevant departments to implement preferential taxation policies for cultural enterprises using large amounts of high and new technology. Formulating a “State Cultural Science and Technology Upgrade Plan”, accelerating the popularization and application of advanced technology in performing arts, cartoons, games and other areas.
(10) Forcefully promoting foreign-aimed cultural trade. Establishing work mechanisms with the government in the lead, with enterprises as subjects and with marketized operation as main method. Strengthening communication and cooperation between administrative culture departments and cultural enterprises and chambers of commerce (trade associations). Launching foreign-aimed cultural trade statistics and information research. Vigorously building foreign-aimed cultural trade platforms, building paths for enterprises to enter into international markets. Strengthening intellectual property rights protection and brand consciousness, strengthening interregional cooperation and coordination, preventing malicious competition between Chinese products on overseas markets. Vigorously supporting and guiding excellent cultural product creation and production, creating conditions for entering overseas mainstream markets, and expanding the international influence of Chinese culture.
V, perfecting cultural industry development guarantee measures
(1) Strengthening organizational leadership. All levels’ administrative culture departments must unify thoughts, raise understanding, give high regard to cultural industries, and bring it into their important work agenda. Further strengthening organizational leadership over cultural industry work, strengthening the construction of specialized cultural industry work organs, granting the necessary guarantees in aspects such as personnel, expenses, etc.
(2) Fully giving rein to the guiding and stimulating function of policy. All localities must deeply research, and completely, correctly and systematically grasp a series of cultural industry policies formulated by the Centre and the localities, and use preferential policies well and sufficiently. Encouraging all localities to integrate reality, formulate and roll out preferential policies that are even more focused and feasible. Through the guiding and regulation function of policy, stimulating that cultural industries develop both quickly and well.
(3) Perfecting cultural industry legal systems. Bringing industry policies that are effective in practice into State or local laws and regulations, making cultural industries enter a legalized development track. Strengthening cultural market law and regulation construction, further revising and perfecting corresponding laws and regulations, creating a desirable environment for cultural industry development.
(4) Strengthening cultural industry planning. Doing appraisal and inspection work of the “Outline of the National “11th Five Year Plan” Period Cultural Development Plan” and the Ministry of Culture “’11th Five-Year Plan’ for Cultural Construction”, comparing and evaluating appraisal results, improving work in a focused manner, strengthening implementation strength, guaranteeing that all objectives and major programmes for cultural industry development in the “11th Five-Year Plan” period are completed. At the same time, vigorously launching research work for cultural industry development planning for the “12th Five-Year Plan” period, and bringing cultural industry development planning into the general economic and social development planning for the localities’ “12th Five-Year Plan” period.
(5) Perfecting cultural market access mechanisms. Establishing and perfecting cultural market access mechanisms integrated with permission systems, filing systems and imported cultural product content examination systems. Accelerating the formulation, propagation and implementations of technological standards, service standards and management rules in all cultural industry areas. On the basis of the characteristics of all categories of the cultural industries, launching cultural enterprise grade appraisal and qualification accreditation work, raising the management and service level of cultural enterprises. Formulating corresponding accreditation management rules for focus State-supported cultural enterprises, providing a basis for implementing State preferential financial and taxation policies for cultural enterprises. Earnestly implementing the “Cartoon Enterprise Accreditation Management Rules (Trial), performing cartoon enterprise accreditation work.
(6) Strengthening cultural market supervision and management. Persisting in integrating responsibility according to division of labour with grasping and managing together, daily inspection tours with technological supervision and management, sector self-discipline with social supervision, establishing a perfected and uniform, high-efficiency, and convenient nationwide cultural market supervision, control and management system. Solidly moving comprehensive cultural market law enforcement reform forward, establishing and completing cultural market law enforcement teams. With attacking piracy as focus point, strictly investigating, prosecuting and punishing illegal business activities destroying cultural market order, cleaning the cultural market environment up, safeguarding an honest, fair, competitive and orderly market order.
(7) Guiding and organizing national-level and regional-level sector associations. Giving rein to the function of good sector associations in sector planning, sector coordination, sector management, sector self-discipline, sector training, formulating sector standards, safeguarding the interests of the sector, etc., making them become bridges and nodes connecting the cultural industry world, striving to shape positive interaction between cultural enterprises, sector associations and government departments, promoting administrative cultural departments to transform from mainly organizing culture to mainly managing culture.
(8) Establishing and completing cultural industry incentive and restraint mechanisms. Launching selection and accreditation work for the “State Cultural Export Focus Enterprise Catalogue” and the “State Cultural Export Focus Programme Catalogue”, granting awards to cultural enterprises with prominent business achievements. Researching, formulating and perfecting management rules for cultural industry bases and parks. Establishing cultural enterprise credit files and credit gradation systems, raising the popularity and lending credit quota of sincere enterprises.
(9) Strengthening talent training and use in the cultural industries. Establishing and completing cultural industry on-the-job personnel professional training and continuous education systems. Focusing on fostering leading persons, creative and innovative talents, specialized technical talents and business management talents in the area of cultural industry. Perfecting cultural industry talent job title appraisal systems. Encouraging cultural work units to cooperate with higher education institutes to organize research and study classes and training classes. Encouraging large-scale cultural enterprises meeting conditions to establish post-doctoral scientific research stations. Encouraging government departments, scientific research organs, enterprises and higher education institutes to jointly establish cultural industry talent fostering bases. Perfecting fair competition and distribution incentives mechanisms, encouraging and supporting excellent top-notch talents to come to the fore. Comparing science and technology talent attraction policies and policies on talents that studied science and technology abroad to return to the country, expanding the cultural industry talent attraction strength, stimulating high-level cultural industry talents to take up positions or start up businesses.
(10) Fully giving rein to the functions of our cultural organs abroad, building platforms and channels leading to international markets. Cultural offices (groups) of embassies (consulates) abroad and cultural centres must raise their understanding of foreign-aimed cultural trade work, and bring stimulating foreign-aimed cultural trade work into their daily work, vigorously coordinate with cultural enterprises in expanding overseas markets, help enterprises in launching overseas market research and establishing overseas trading bases, using foreign large-scale cultural activities to expand the international influence of Chinese cultural products, assisting and guiding enterprises in performing overseas market rights and interests safeguarding work..
10 September 2009