SARFT Circular Concerning the Situation of Shandong Province, Dongying City Television Violating Regulations
On 22 March, SARFT issued the “SARFT Circular Concerning the Situation of Shandong Province, Dongying City Television Violating Regulations” to all provincial, autonomous region and municipal radio, film and television bureaus, Xinjiang Production-Construction Corps radio, film and television bureau, the three central stations, film channel and programme centres, China Education Television, the Circular says, after implementation of the “Radio and Television Advertising Broadcast Management Rules” (SARFT Decree No. 61) on 1 January 2010, the implementation situation by all levels’ broadcasting organs nationwide is good, the advertising broadcast order has clearly turned for the better. On 21 February, countering a few problems of broadcasting organs broadcasting advertising related to sex, SARFT specially issued the “Notice Concerning Further Strengthening Radio and Television Advertising Examination and Supervision Work” (SARFT No. (2010)21), reaffirming the firm prohibition of sex-related advertising, and clearly pointed out, that to those still broadcasting in violation of regulations, as soon as it is discovered, it would be severely dealt with through immediate suspension of commercial advertising broadcast. But SARFT supervision found, Shandong Province Dongying City Television disregarded SARFT regulations, and many kinds of grave problems violating regulations such as broadcast of sex-related advertising, still exited, creating a harmful social influence, damaging the overall image of radio and television. At the same time, in that television station, there also existed problems of unauthorized opening of channels, gravely throwing radio and television channel (frequency) opening order into chaos. Hereby, the problems violating regulation on the concerned channel are circulated as follows:
Through SARFT inspection on 8 March, it was found that Dongying City Television opened a set of television channels without authorization. At the same time, the concerned stations’ general news channel and public channel advertising broadcast regulation violation problems were mainly:
(1) broadcasting sex-related advertising. Sexual preservative product advertising such as for the “Jinbo Special Pill” broadcasted on the general news channel and the “Bangdishi Pill”, broadcasted on the public channel, expanded by images of patients, used vulgar language, and propagated efficacy, sex experiences, etc., after use;
(2) in violation of regulations broadcasting medical treatment, medicine and protection product advertisement. Many kinds of medical treatment, medicine or protection product advertisement broadcasted on the two channels such as the “American Aofukang”, “Famous Classroom”, “Zhanggu Antidote”, Insect Insulin”, “Old But Hale Radiation Treatment Machine”, “Sweet Dew Concentrated Sugar and Titanium Oral Solution, American Vanguard Pills”, “Bloody Urine Tabs”, “Perfect Life Protein Pills”, etc., propagating recovery rates and effectiveness, taking expert or patient images as evidence of medical effectiveness,
(3) Excessive broadcast of commercial advertising. The two channels broadcast on average only commercial broadcast in the five hours between 1.00 and 6.00, and from 9.00 until 18.00, broadcast commercial advertising for a duration which on average gravely exceeds regulatory standards;
(4) In violation of regulation putting up advertisement corners. The two channels separately broadcasted corner advertising for “Dongkang Hospital Prostatitis Analgesia Strem Special Gynaecology”, ” Harmony Male Venereology Science Division”, “Huashan Hospital Weiwei Analgesia Stream”, “One-time Cure of Cervical Erosion”, “Sino-Western Medicine Integrated Hospital Reproduction Special First Brand”, etc.;
(5) Gravely exceeding television drama advertising insertion time. During the television drama broadcasting time of the two channels, the time of advertising insertion gravely exceeded statutory standard, and were sometimes lengthened to 6 minutes or 10 minutes.
In order to enforce discipline, on the basis of relevant regulations such as the “Radio and Television Management Regulations”, the “Radio and Television Advertising Broadcast Management Rules”, the “Rules on Dealing with Radio and Television Broadcast Organ Violating Regulations (Trial)” and the “Notice Concerning Further Strengthening Radio and Television Advertising Inspection, Supervision and Management Work”, etc., SARFT has decided to (1) order Dongying Television Station to immediately cease the illegally-started television channels; (2) order Dongying Television Station’s comprehensive news channel and public channel to temporarily cease the broadcast of all commercial advertising for a month, between 25 March and 25 April, and conduct complete clean-up and rectification; (3) charge the Shandong provincial radio and television bureau to conduct supervision, inspection, checking and examination of the rectification situation of the said station, and after concluding checking work, sending a written report to SARFT, and only after examination, verification and agreement by SARFT may the said station recommence advertising broadcasts; charging the Shandong provincial radio and television bureau with strengthening supervision and management over radio and television channels (frequencies) and advertising broadcast in the entire province, and, where problems are discovered, strictly and timely dealing with them; request the Shandong provincial bureau to report this situation timely to the local industry and commerce, drug supervision and other departments, and request that they conduct investigation and prosecution of the advertisers and advertising business enterprises involved with this advertising.
All provincial-level administrative radio, film and television departments are required to timely transfer this Circular to all broadcasting organs in their jurisdiction, supervise all stations in earnestly launching self-examination and self rectification, actively clean up all sorts of advertising violating regulations, determinedly attack unauthorized starting of radio and television channels (frequencies), and put an end to similar problems happening again.