XCZF No. (2012)3
All provincial, autonomous region and municipal press and publications bureaus, the Xinjiang Production-Construction Corps Press and Publications Bureau, the Liberation Army General Political Department Propaganda Department Press and Publications Bureau, all Central and State organs, ministries and commissions, all democratic parties, all people’s organizations’ press and publications controlling departments:
In order to realistically implement the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 17th Party Congress, fully give rein to the guiding function of publishing media groups in press and publications reform and development, according to the requirements of the “National ’12th Five-Year Plan’ Period Culture Reform and Development Plan Outline” and the “Press and Publications Sector ’12th Five-Year Plan’ Period Development plan”, hereby, the following opinions on accelerating publishing media group reform and development are put forward.
I, Fully understanding the importance and urgency of accelerating publishing media group reform and development
1. Since the 16th Party Congress, the press and publications sector has vigorously, reliably and orderly launched the transformation of commercial press and publications work units into enterprises according to the distribution and requirements of the Centre, accelerated resource integration and structural adjustment, and formed a batch of publishing media groups. During the “11th Five-Year Plan”, publishing media groups incessantly deepened reform, accelerated development and published a large batch of excellent works, which satisfied the spiritual culture needs of the popular masses relatively well; a batch of publishing media groups completed enterprise system reform, and have established the beginnings of modern enterprise systems; a batch of publishing media groups successively realized shareholding system reform and went on the financial markets, and grew into strategic investors in the cultural industries; a batch of publishing media groups accelerated the pace of “marching out”, and made important contributions to Chinese culture marching towards the world. At the same time publishing media groups’ industry scope incessantly expanded, development quality incessantly rose, their level and function in the press and publications sector became more prominent every day, and they became the principal force of press and publications reform and development.
2. Facing the requirements put forward by the Centre concerning cultural reform and development, facing the new expectations of the popular masses of spiritual and cultural products, facing the new mission of constructing a strong press and publications country, facing the new challenges brought on by new technology, many frictions still exist in publishing media group reform and development, which are mainly manifested in: systems are not smooth, mechanisms are not lively, development vitality is not strong; the level of intensification is low, development is homogenized, market competition is not strong, the level of integration with science and technology is low, transformation and upgrades are sluggish, innovation capacity is not strong, high-level talents are lacking, business management capacity is not strong. At the same time, regions and sectors are blocked, the structure of distribution and publishing resource allocation is not rational, honesty systems are not complete and other problems, restrict the reform and development of publishing media groups.
3. Persisting in the development path of Socialist culture with Chinese characteristics, striving to construct a strong socialist culture country, the press and publications sector undertakes a major historical responsibility. Publishing media groups act as the vanguard of press and publications structural reform, the principal force of press and publications industry development, and gives rein to an important function in guiding the progressive direction of Socialist culture, constructing the Socialist core value system, disseminating knowledge and inheriting civilization, and safeguarding national cultural security. Accelerating publishing media group reform and development is an urgent task for developing public interest-type cultural undertakings, guaranteeing the people’s basic cultural rights and interests, and satisfying the people’s daily increasing spiritual cultural needs; is an urgent task for accelerating the development of the press and publications sector, promoting cultural industries in becoming a pillar industry in the national economy, and serving the larger picture of national economic and social development; is an urgent task for accelerating the transformation of press and publications sector development methods, adjusting industry structures and strengthening overall strength; and is an urgent demand for strengthening the domestic cohesion of advanced Socialist culture, its foreign influence, promoting Chinese culture to “march out” and raising national soft power.
II, Guiding ideology, principal requirements and main objectives of accelerating publishing media group reform and development
4. The guiding ideology for accelerating publishing media group reform and development is: deeply studying and implementing the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 17th Party Congress, with Deng Xiaoping Theory and the important “Three Represents” thought as guidance, persisting in implementing the scientific development view, according to the general requirements of holding high the banner, revolving around the larger picture, serving the people, reform and innovation, with scientific development as the main theme, with transforming development methods as main line, with deepening reform as driver, with scientific an technological progress and indigenous innovations as support, with reform, reorganization, transformation and strengthening management as main direction of attack, further integrating resources and optimizing structures, building mechanisms and systems full of vitality, rich in efficiency, with even more openness, benefiting scientific publishing media group development, liberating and developing press and publication productive forces, promoting publishing media group reform and development to obtain new breakthroughs.
5. The principal requirements of accelerating publishing media group reform and development are: persisting in the progressive orientation of advanced Socialist culture, completely implementing the “Two Fors” orientation and the “Two Hundreds” policy, forcefully moving the construction of the Socialist core value system forward; persisting in putting social interest first, persisting in the organic integration of social interest and economic interest; persisting in integrating government guidance and market adjustment, fully giving rein to the vigorous function of markets in allocating resources, persisting in developing press and publications core business, and concurrently diversifying operations; persisting in utilizing both international and domestic markets and resources, striving to strengthen the influence and propagation strength of Chinese culture abroad; persisting in the coordinated development of press and publications undertakings and press and publications industries, raising publishing media group provision of public culture services and promoting cultural industry development capacity; persisting in supporting the superior and supporting the strong, striving to forge international first-rate publishing media groups.
6. The main objectives of accelerating publishing media group reform and development are: striving to build new cultural product production and creation mechanisms, presenting even more excellent masterpieces having a clear mind about history, having a clear mind about the times and having a clear mind about people; striving to conduct enterprise system transformation, establishing modern enterprise systems; striving to move cultural science and technology innovation forward, realizing transformation and upgrading of publishing media groups; striving to strengthen management, arousing publishing media group development vitality; striving to promote joint reorganization, doing away with regional blockades and sector barriers, realizing publishing media groups to develop across media, across regions, across sectors, across ownership systems, and across national boundaries; striving to promote publishing media groups to “march out”, and raise the international influence of Chinese culture. By the end of the “12th Five-Year Plan” period, further strengthening and optimizing three large publishing media groups in humanities, education, and science and technology, fostering large-scale backbone publishing media groups with an annual sales income exceeding 20 billion; promoting mergers and reorganizations of the Xinhua bookstores across regions, forming nationwide state-owned large scale distribution groups; basically shaping publishing media groups with strong core competitiveness, eminent core business, prominent brands and scientific management; basically forming a new structure with rational distribution between Eastern, Central and Western regions, with mutual support and cooperation between the superiorities of the Centre and the localities, book publishing and newspaper or periodical publishing, single media and multimedia, comprehensive forms and specialist forms, large-scale groups and special, excellent, expert and new categories of press media enterprises.
III, Further deepening publishing media group structural reform
7. Perfecting legal person governance structures. Guiding and promoting publishing media groups to realistically standardize systems, and raise enterprises’ market competitiveness through effective systemic arrangements. Completing board of directors, board of supervisors and commercial management levels, exploring the establishment of professional manager systems, clarifying the duties of owners and managers, shaping asset organization forms and commercial management models conforming to the requirements of modern enterprise systems and reflecting the characteristics of cultural enterprises.
8. Moving shareholding system reform forward. Guiding and promoting a batch of publishing media groups meeting conditions to conducting shareholding reform, leading other sectors’ large scale State-owned enterprises to act as strategic investors, and permitting them non-publicly owned capital to enter into scopes permitted by State policy; encouraging publishing media groups to conduct shareholding reform between them through joint reorganization, share participation, etc. realizing shareholding right diversification.
9. Transforming internal operational mechanisms. According to market rules and press and publications development rules, promoting mgs to continue to deepen internal reform with labour, human resources and distribution systems at the core. Establishing perfect enterprise staff evaluation systems and encouragement systems, designing rational salary systems, encouraging intelligence, copyright, technology and other production factors to participate in profit distribution.
10. Guiding and standardizing State-owned publishing media groups to cooperate with non-publicly owned cultural enterprises. Guiding and standardizing State-owned publishing media groups to launch product cooperation, programme cooperation and asset cooperation with non-publicly owned cultural enterprises; permitting State-owned mgs to introduce non-public cultural enterprises with qualifications to participate in publishing activities as one department of a State owned publishing media group; permitting publishing media groups to control or participate in non-public cultural enterprises with relatively good growth prospects, and realize cross-ownership development.
IV, Vigorously moving strategic publishing media group reorganization forward
11. Supporting publishing media groups to merge and reorganize. Encouraging publishing media groups to integrate newspaper, periodical, book, audiovisual product, electronic publication, digital publishing businesses and publishing, printing, reproduction, distribution and other resources, realize multimedia and complete industry chain development; encouraging publishing media groups to conduct mergers and reorganizations with central and local publishing enterprises that have closely relate business and common resources, and realize cross-regional development; encouraging publishing media groups to merge and reorganize with other State-owned enterprises outside the press and publications area, and realize cross-sector development. Supporting specialized publishing media groups with outstanding core businesses and superior brands to walk the path of characteristic operations. Encouraging and supporting press and publications enterprises transforming into enterprises to voluntarily enter all sorts of publishing media groups.
12. Supporting publishing media groups to conduct strategic cooperation between them. Supporting publishing media groups to adopt measures such as joint research and development, resource sharing, joint platform construction, cooperative operations, etc., to conduct strategic operations; supporting publishing media groups to implement cross-region operations through methods such as setting up branch organs or chain businesses in different localities, conducting programme, product and asset cooperation with similar kinds of enterprises, etc.; supporting publishing media groups to launch strategic cooperation with large-scale enterprises in radio and television, telecommunications, etc.
13. Promoting publishing media groups to transform their development method. Guiding and promoting publishing media groups to formulate scientific strategic plans, adjust industry structures, transform business thinking, transform from mainly relying on the domestic market and domestic resources to relying on both domestic and international markets and both resources, transform from mainly relying on single publishing business models to relying on diversified services with publishing operations at the core, transform from mainly relying on traditional publishing business models to relying on the organic integration of traditional publishing business models with burgeoning publishing business models, and transform from mainly relying on resource expansion to mainly relying on scientific and technological progress, cultural innovation and raising the quality of workers, realizing both good and rapid development
V, Forcefully supporting publishing media groups to apply high and new technology and promote industrial upgrading
14. Supporting publishing media groups to apply high and new technology. Supporting publishing media groups to strengthen core technology, key technology and shared technology assaults, strengthening digital content processing, storage, transmission, reading and other high and new technology and equipment application, accelerating the transformation of new science and technology achievements, incessantly raising press and publications technology equipment levels; supporting mgs to indigenously research, develop and import or attract high and new technology, utilizing high and new technology to transform and upgrade traditional production methods, production processes and infrastructure; promoting publishing media groups to accelerate the realization of the digitization of stored publishing resources, forge digital dissemination technologies and resource databases containing many kind of publishing resources, conducting comprehensive and deep-layered exploitation and use of content resources; encouraging the exploitation of applied Internet, material networks and cloud computing technology, building open-style, comprehensive and multifunctional concentrated circulation and communication platforms; supporting publishing media groups and large-scale electronic commerce enterprises to conduct strategic cooperation and resource integration, building modern publications circulation systems integrating online circulation and offline circulation.
15. Supporting publishing media groups to develop digital publishing industries. Supporting publishing media groups to implement digitization strategies, accelerating the development of audio reading materials electronic books, electronic schoolbags, digital newspaper, excellent digital academic journal databases, etc.; supporting publishing media groups to develop new publishing business models with network publishing, mobile telephone publishing and cloud publishing as representatives; fostering a batch of new publishing media groups with digitization in the lead, and comprehensive media operation as characteristic, accelerating the establishment of market subjects adapted to digital publishing industry development; supporting publishing media groups to vigorously explore new digital publishing industry development paths.
16. Supporting publishing media groups to establish science and technology innovation systems. Encouraging and guiding enterprise capital and social capital to invest in technology transformation, shaping new product research and development and new technology innovation mechanisms facing the market; encouraging the establishment of science and technology work strategy plans, establishing research and development departments, perfecting scientific research systems, expanding scientific research funding and input; supporting the launching of standardized work, promoting enterprise standards to become sector standards, national standards and international standards
VI, Realistically strengthening publishing media groups’ scientific management
17. Strengthening publications product content creation and production guidance. Publishing media groups must base themselves on advanced culture, and make providing even better and even more spiritual nourishment as their main task, must persist in the correct publishing orientation, make abiding by the progressive direction of advanced Socialist culture and satisfying the popular masses into the highest standards for appraising publishing products, and shape scientific appraisal mechanisms with mass appraisal, expert appraisal and market testing.
18. Completing internal management mechanisms. With clarifying scopes, standardizing procedures, strengthening supervision and responsibility investigation as focus points, establishing and completing major publishing media group policy decisions, important personnel appointment and dismissal, major programme arrangement as well as large quota operation matters’ “three majors and one large” policy decisions, implementation and supervision systems. Promoting internal enterprise management and innovation, strengthening quality management and cost accounting, shaping effective incentive and constraint mechanisms. Strengthening ideology and politics construction within leadership ranks, strengthening political acuteness and political differentiation, building strong ideological defence lines, guaranteeing the correct orientation. Fully giving rein to the political core function of Party organizations. Promoting enterprises to strengthen their own brand construction, internal cultural construction, incessantly raising enterprise cohesion, raising comprehensive images of enterprises, and shaping operational concepts and development models reflecting the characteristics of cultural enterprises.
19. Scientifically integrating internal resources. Promoting publishing media groups to optimize industrial structures, strengthen core business and expand main bodies, raising core competitiveness; promoting publishing media groups to integrate with similar kinds of business, upstream or downstream business, rationally distribute industry chains, product chains, raising resource concentration strength and comprehensive effect; promoting publishing media groups to revolve around their core business and develop corresponding cultural industries, extend industry chains, and shape new growth points; promoting publishing media groups to establish management and control models and organizational structures with mutually suited operation integration and marketized operations, raising management efficacy; promoting publishing media groups to, after mergers and reorganizations, implement effective integration and shape comprehensive competitive superiority in aspects such as development strategy, management, branding, business, corporate culture, etc.
20. Establishing and completing publishing media group editorial board systems. Supporting publishing media groups to strengthen quality management, brand management and copyright management over content resources through establishing and completing editorial boards; supporting publishing media groups to strengthen orderly exploitation of content resources, shaping top quality products having characteristics; supporting publishing media groups to strengthen theme planning, content innovation, product design and market operation management coordination over their subordinate publishing organs, striving to create and produce originally-created excellent publication products unifying high content and form.
21. Strengthening human resource planning and exploitation. Guiding and promoting publishing media groups to innovate talent incentive mechanisms, completing talent selection mechanisms, establishing complete training systems, adopting many kinds of methods such as open application, directed special training, attraction from outside the industry, etc. to foster, attract and concentrate a batch of specialist technology talents and comprehensive high-level operational management talents; supporting publishing media groups to foster a line of personnel teams with complete categories, rational structures, clear phases and excellent quality.
VII, Encouraging and supporting publishing media groups to “march out”
22. Supporting publishing media groups to raise brand competitiveness. Supporting publishing media groups to deeply excavate ethnic cultural resources, utilize cultural representation forms conform to the characteristics of the times, organically integrating traditional factors and modern factors, organically unifying ethnic characteristics and global trends, producing even more publishing products with indigenous intellectual property rights and international competitiveness, fostering a batch of internationally famous brands.
23. Supporting publishing media groups to adopt many sorts of methods to “march out”. Supporting publishing media groups to expand copyright export to focus countries and regions; supporting traditional publishing products with competitiveness and many sorts and forms of digital publishing products to enter into international markets; supporting publishing media groups having strength to merge with or purchase foreign superior publishing enterprises with long-term perspectives; supporting publishing media groups meeting conditions to go abroad to establish publishers or stations, organize newspapers and magazines, opening plants and stores through exclusive investment, joint venture, cooperation and other methods; supporting publishing media groups to participate in establishing Taiwan Straits publishing exchange trial regions, conducting advance trials in Taiwan Straits publishing exchange and cooperation, promoting the joint flourishing and development of the Taiwan Straits press and publishing sector.
24. Supporting publishing media groups to expand international dissemination channels. Supporting publishing media groups to raise the influence of Chinese publishing products at the international level through participating in domestic and foreign focus cultural exhibitions and activities having international influence; encouraging publishing media groups to strengthen cooperation with global and regional large-scale retail bookstores, further expanding international mainstream retail channels, expanding network bookstores, online reading materials and other burgeoning publications retail channels, integrating overseas Chinese language publications retail channels, building Chinese publication products’ international solid retail networks and international trade platforms.
VIII, Guarantee measures for accelerating publishing media group reform and development
Further rationalizing management systems. Rationalizing sector management and resource management relationships, shaping a structure with unified Party Committee leadership, Party and government grasping jointly and managing together, Party Committee propaganda departments organizing and coordinating , administrative controlling department managing according to the law and enterprises operating in their own manner. Administrative press and publications management departments must be take up responsibilities for planning, guiding, coordinating, serving and management concerning publishing media group reform. They must strictly implement cultural asset, cultural enterprise, and cultural product market access and exit policies, comprehensively utilize legal, administrative, economic, scientific, technological or other methods to raise management effectiveness. They must realistically strengthen anti-corruption and pro-honesty construction in publishing media group reform and development, strictly implement Party style and clean government construction responsibility systems, and promote the perfection and implementation of regulations related to State-owned enterprises’ leading persons doing business cleanly.
26. Formulating and implementing policies shifting publishing resources towards publishing media groups. Supporting publishing media groups with mature conditions to establish subsidiaries having publishing rights across sectors and regions; giving publishing resource allocation preferences to publishing media groups with cross-regional and foreign-oriented operations; non-publicly owned culture organs facing overseas market may independently dispose of publishing resources after approval.
27. Expanding support strength to publishing media groups’ major programmes. Accelerating the pace of press and publications reform and development programme database construction, guiding and driving publishing media group reform and development; supporting and encouraging publishing media groups’ vigorously planning and implementing of major industry programmes, bringing major programmes implemented by publishing media groups on indigenous innovation, transformation and upgrading into press and publications reform and development programme databases and giving them preferential support.
28. Expanding financial support strength for publishing media group reform and development. Vigorously striving for the support of all levels’ financial administrations, supporting publishing media group reform and development through special cultural industry development funds, subsidies, loan discounts, awards, etc.; granting special awards to publishing media groups having obtained prominent achievements in “marching out”; granting focus support to publishing media groups implementing major publishing projects to establish the Socialist core value system, accumulate and inherit the nation’s excellent culture, through State publishing funds.
29. Promoting publishing media groups to expand funding channels. Supporting publishing media groups to realize their main operational businesses to entirely go on the market; recommending publishing media enterprises researching and developing high and new technology to go on start-up market lists; strengthening all levels’ administrative press and publications controlling departments to cooperate strategically with financial organs, and provide convenient conditions to publishing media groups concerning credit and funding; promoting and formulating policies supporting publishing media groups to put up intangible assets and pledge loans such as patent rights, trademark rights, copyrights, indigenous brands, etc.
30. Strengthening market system construction. Researching the formulation of policy measures breaking through regional blockades and sector barriers, supporting and protecting publishing media groups’ cross-regional and cross-sector reorganization and operation. Through integrated methods of policy adjustment and market mechanisms, establishing and perfecting press and publications market service systems connecting substantive bookstores and online bookstores, that link up urban and rural distribution. Orderly developing market for press and publications talents, information, technology, copyright and other factors, establishing and perfecting resource appraisal systems, asset trade system, raising factor circulation’s marketization levels. Expanding copyright protection strength, deeply launching “Sweeping Pornography and Striking the Illegal”, standardizing textbook and tutorial material publishing market order, striving to reform and optimize publishing market environments. Strengthening sector credit system construction, perfecting sector standards and sector norms, launching sector self-discipline and honesty propaganda education across the entire sector, creating a unified and open, competitive and orderly, healthy and flourishing market environment for the accelerated development of publishing media groups.
31. Strengthening talent team construction. Expanding State input strength for publishing media human resources, forcefully implementing the “one batch of four” talent fostering project and famous press and publications personality projects, constructing publishing media talent training basis in famous higher education institutes nationwide. Perfecting press and publications special technology personnel professional qualifications systems. Bringing non-publicly owned cultural organs’ talent teams into sector talent construction systems, vigorously fostering and fully giving rein to their function. Perfecting talent circulation mechanisms, shaping systems and mechanisms benefiting all kinds of talents to come to the fore, providing talent support for publishing media group reform and development.
32. Establishing and completing scientific appraisal and incentive mechanism. Integrating publishing media group reform and development reality, comprehensively planning social effect and economic effect, orientation requirements and profit quota, short-term business objectives and long-term development strategies, etc. scientifically setting up appraisal norms, exploring the establishment of scientific statistical and professional achievement assessment systems benefiting publishing media groups’ sustainable development, exploring the establishment of long-term mechanisms encouraging publishing media group managers and the managing level, permitting publishing media groups with mature conditions to implement business management-level shareholding incentive mechanisms with approval.
24 February 2012