State Council General Office
GBF No. (2016)98
All provincial, autonomous region and municipal people’s governments, all State Council ministries and commissions, all directly subordinate bodies:
In order to carry forward the traditional virtue of sincerity, strengthen the sincerity consciousness of members of society, strengthen the construction of a personal sincerity system, praise sincerity and punish trust-breaking, raise the credit levels of the entire society and create a beneficial credit environment, with the approval of the State Council, these Opinions are hereby put forward.
I, General requirements
(1) Guiding ideology. Comprehensively implement the spirit of the 18th Party Congress and the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6rh Plenums of the 19th Party Congress, deeply implement the spirit of the series of important speeches by General Secretary Xi Jinping, abide by Party Centre and State Council policy decisions and arrangements, with fostering and practicing the Socialist core value view as foundation, forcefully carry forward a sincerity culture, accelerate the construction of personal sincerity records, perfect mechanisms for personal information security, privacy protection and credit recovery, complete incentive mechanisms for keeping trust and punitive mechanisms for breaking trust, ensure that trust keepers receive benefits and trust-breakers are subjected to restrictions, let sincerity become a common value pursuit and behavioural norm for all of society, vigorously create a benign social environment where “promise-keeping is glorious and trust-breaking shameful”.
(2) Basic principles.
First, government promotion, joint construction with society. Fully give rein to the organizing, leading, driving and demonstration role of government in the construction of a personal sincerity system. Standardize and develop credit investigation markets, encourage the mustering of social forces for broad participation, advance matters jointly, and create joint forces for the construction of a personal sincerity system.
Second, completing legal structures and standardizing development. Complete personal information laws regulations, regulatory structures, standards and norms, and strictly protect personal privacy and information security.
Third, comprehensive progress, focus on breakthroughs. Make focus areas and focus groups into breakthrough points, and promote the establishment of personal sincerity recording mechanisms in all localities and all sectors. Rely on nationwide credit information sharing platforms and all local credit information sharing platforms, basic financial credit information databases and personal credit investigation bodies, to respectively realize the recording, integration, processing and application of personal public credit information and personal credit investigation information.
Fourth, strengthening use, joint rewards and punishments. Vigorously foster public personal credit information product and application markets, popularize the socialized use of public personal credit information, and broaden the scope of application. Establish and complete joint reward and punishment mechanisms for personal sincerity, and expand incentives for individual promise-keeping and punishment for trust-breaking.
II, Strengthening personal sincerity education
(1) Forcefully carrying forward a sincerity culture. Put the construction of a sincerity culture in a prominent position, with fostering and practicing the Socialist core value view at the basis, forcefully disseminate credit knowledge, formulate and promulgate citizen sincerity norms, and let sincerity education permeate into the overall process of citizens’ morality construction and spiritual civilization construction. Strengthen education about social morality, professional ethics, household virtue and personal valour, and create a social atmosphere where “keeping promises is glorious, breaking trust is shameful, and not having trust is fearful”.
(2) Broadly launching sincerity propaganda. Combine important time periods and statutory holidays such as the Spring Festival, International Consumer Rights Say, Labour Day, Children’s Day, Online Sincerity Propaganda Day, Nationwide Credit Record Awareness Day, Sincerity for Business Flourishing Propaganda Month, National Day, National Constitution Day as well as National Legal Propaganda Day, etc., with concentrating propaganda concerning credit policies, laws and regulations, credit knowledge and model cases. Promote the creation of sincerity literature and artistic works and public interest advertisements integrating China’s traditional sincerity culture with the value views of the times, enrich sincerity propaganda carries, increase sincerity propaganda frequencies, and enhance sincerity propaganda levels.
(3) Vigorously introduce sincerity models. Fully give rein to the leading role of public opinion propaganda in media, forcefully discover and propagate exemplars of sincerity and virtue, excellent volunteers and other such sincerity models selected by relevant departments and social organizations. Organize that all websites set up online sincerity topics, regularly propagate and popularize all kinds of sincerity models and sincere deeds, roll out a batch of high-quality cultural works on the topic of online sincerity, strengthen warnings and education concerning cases of online trust-breaking. Support relevant departments and social organizations in recommending models of sincerity and persons with spotless credit records to society, and promote joint incentive measures for promise-keeping across departments and across areas.
(4) Comprehensively strengthening sincerity education in schools. Make sincerity education into an important component of ideological and moral education of primary and secondary as well as higher education students. Encourage higher education institutes to set up courses concerning social credit. Support higher education institutes meeting conditions to set up credit management-related majors. Promote schools to strengthen credit management, establish credit files for mature students of 18 years of age and higher, promote that students’ personal sincerity becomes an important reference factor for moving to a higher grade, graduation, selections and awards, scholarship grants, evaluation and recommendation, etc. Launch education focused on insincere acts such as exam fraud, academic fabrication, not carrying out the commitments to pay back student loans, forging employment materials, etc., and enter corresponding information into personal credit files according to laws and regulations.
(5) Broadly launching credit education and training. Establish and complete professional credit management training and specialized assessment structures. Expand training for credit employees, enrich their credit knowledge, and raise their credit management levels. Encourage all kinds of social organizations and enterprises to establish credit management and education structures, organize signature of credit commitment letters when entering jobs and launch credit knowledge training activities, and foster a corporate credit culture. Organize the compilation of credit knowledge readers, rely on all kinds of grass-roots organizations in communities (villages) to disseminate credit information to the public.
III, Accelerating the construction of personal sincerity records
(1) Promoting the perfection of personal real-name registration systems. Use the citizen identity number as a basis to build uniform citizen social credit coding systems. Promote citizen identification and fingerprint information registration work, and realize complete coverage of the uniform citizen social credit code. Use informatized technological means to incessantly strengthen personal identity information checking work, and ensure the uniqueness of personal identification information. Focus on the Internet, postal delivery, telecommunications, financial accounts to move the establishment of real-name registration systems forward, and lay a basis to accurately collect personal sincerity records.
(2) Establishing personal sincerity records in focus areas. With a focus on areas including food and drugs, production safety, fire safety, traffic safety, environmental protection, biological safety, product quality, tax payment, healthcare and medicine, labour protection, project construction, financial services, intellectual property rights, judicial litigation, e-commerce, volunteer services, etc., and targeting public servants, corporate legal representatives and their relevant responsible persons, layers, educators, doctors, professional pharmacists, assessors, tax specialists, registered fire safety engineers, accountants and auditors, housing intermediaries, notaries, financial employees, tourism employees and other such professional communities, relevant departments must accelerate the establishment and perfection of personal credit record creation mechanisms, timely collect sincerity information generated by relevant persons during relevant activities, ensure information is truthful and accurate, and realize timely and dynamic renewal. Basic financial credit information databases and personal credit investigation bodies must forcefully launch personal credit investigation collection and services in focus areas. Encourage sectoral associations, chambers of commerce and other such sectoral organizations to establish and complete member credit files.
IV, Perfecting personal information security, privacy protection and credit recovery mechanism.
(1) Protecting personal information security. Relevant departments must establish, complete and strictly implement regulatory structures to protect information security according to regulations, clarify limits and procedures for inquiry into and use of personal information, protect database security, establish and perfect personal information consultation and use registration and inspection systems, and prevent information leaks. Strictly abide by relevant laws and regulations, expand supervision and management of basic financial credit information databases and credit investigation bodies, ensure personal credit investigation businesses are run according to regulations, protect the lawful rights and interests of information subjects, and protect national information security. Establish credit files for credit investigation bodies and relevant personnel, as well as “blacklist” systems for businesses violating regulations.
(2) Strengthening privacy protection. Without legal or regulatory authorization, it is not permitted to collect public personal credit information. Strengthen the investigation and prosecution of leaks, falsifications, selling or illegal provision to others of personal information. Implement focused supervision on financial bodies, credit investigation bodies, Internet enterprises, big data companies and mobile application exploitation enterprises, and standardize personal information collection, provision and usage.
(3) Establishing credit recovery mechanisms. Establish mechanisms for correcting mistakes in and repairing public personal credit information, formulate regulatory structures and operational rules for dispute settlement and administrative redress. Clarify the period of display of all kinds of public credit information, no longer display or use public credit information past these time limits. Open up credit recovery channels, increase credit recovery methods explore methods such as active honouring of agreements, applying for time extensions, self-analysis , etc., to reduce trust-breaking losses, and recover credit through honouring agreements on time, voluntary service, philanthropic contributions, etc.
V, Standardizing the sharing and use of personal sincerity information
(1) Promoting public personal credit information sharing. Formulate nationwide uniform public personal credit information catalogues, categorized standards and sharing and exchange norms. Rely on all localities’ credit information sharing platforms to establish public personal credit information databases. Rely on the nationwide credit information sharing platform to progressively establish interlinked, interconnected and interaccessible mechanisms for public personal credit information across localities, across departments and across sectors.
(2) Vigorously launch public personal credit information services. All levels’ people’s governments must timely provide public personal credit information authorization and authorization services to society according to laws and regulations. Explore the construction of categorized management and hierarchical credit information management mechanisms based on public personal credit information. Localities and sectors meeting conditions shall establish public personal credit information and basic financial credit information database sharing relationships, and provide services to personal credit investigation bodies.
VI, Perfecting incentive mechanisms for personal promise-keeping and punishment mechanisms for trust-breaking.
(1) Providing more service conveniences to individuals with good credit. Establish good credit records for administrative counterparts with good credit situations as determined by relevant departments and social organizations who implement categorized credit supervision and management,, models of sincerity and virtue and outstanding volunteers, sincere members recommended by sectoral associations as well as sincere subjects discovered by news media, etc., all levels’ people’s governments must innovate incentive mechanisms for promise-keeping, and grant focus support to individuals with good credit records in areas such as education, employment and start-ups, and do their utmost to provide more convenient services; in the process of handling administrative licences, “green channel”, “expedited acceptance” and other such convenient service methods may be adopted according to the laws and on the basis of real circumstances to individuals with good credit records and administrative counterparts with a spotless credit record for three or more successive years. Encourage social bodies to use credit investigation products according to the law, grant preferential treatment and conveniences to persons with good credit records, and enable promise-keepers to gain more opportunities and benefits in the market.
(2) Implement joint punishment against grave trust-breakers in focus areas. Adopt joint punishment for grave trust-breaking activities against individuals who gravely endanger the physical health and the safety of the lives of the popular masses, who gravely destroy the fair competitive order of the market and the regular order of society, who refuse to carry out legal duties and gravely influence the creditability of judicial and administrative bodies, as well as refuse to carry out national defence duties. List gravely trust-breaking individuals who maliciously avoid debts, illegally raise funds, commit telecommunications fraud or online fraud, commit traffic violations, do not pay taxes sincerely and according to the law, etc., as focus supervision targets, and adopt administrative restrictions and punitive measures according to laws and regulations. At the same time as jointly punishing trust-breaking enterprise and undertaking work units, adopt corresponding joint punishment measures against related responsible persons according to the provisions of laws, regulations and policies, and implement joint punishment down to persons. Encourage that grave trust-breaking records emerging from an individual’s economic activities in the marketplace collected by basic financial credit information databases and personal credit investigation bodies are submitted to the nationwide credit information sharing platforms, as reference to carry out credit punishment measures.
(3) Promote the creation of marketized and socialized restrictions and punishments. Establish and complete structures for the disclosure, exposure and reporting of grave individual trust-breaking acts, rely on the “Credit China” website, to reveal grave individual trust breaking information held by all levels’ People’s Governments to the public, fully give rein to the public opinion supervision role of society to create strong social deterrence. Encourage market subjects to adopt differentiated services against gravely trust-breaking individuals. Support credit investigation bodies to collect information on grave trust-breaking acts, and enter them into credit records and credit reports.
VII, Strengthen guarantee measures
(1) Strengthening organizational leadership. All localities and all departments must plan comprehensively deploy and implement personal sincerity system construction work. Establish work assessment and progress mechanisms, and regularly conduct supervision, guidance and inspections of personal sincerity system construction work in their localities and their areas.
(2) Strengthening and completing laws and regulations. Progressively establish and perfect personal sincerity system construction laws and regulations, strengthen protection of personal information security and personal privacy, powerfully safeguard the rights of personal information subjects and their lawful interests, perfect regulatory systems for all links including public personal credit information recording, collection, processing and use, etc., and create a beneficial legal environment for the construction of a personal sincerity system.
(3) Expanding financial support. All localities and all departments must strengthen funding guarantees for the construction of a social credit system, and vigorously provide financial support to the organization and management work of the construction of a personal sincerity system. Expand financial support for the construction of public personal credit information databases, credit applications, propaganda, education and talent training.
(4) Strengthening the implementation of responsibilities. All localities and all departments must give high regard to the construction of a personal sincerity system, strengthen their sense of responsibility, divide work in detail, clarify time points for completion, ensure responsibility comes down to persons, work comes down to persons, and implementation comes down to persons.
All localities and all departments must strengthen leadership, give this high regard, take the initiative and set examples, integrate it with their work realty, and realistically and effectively launch work related to the construction of a pass. The National Development and Reform Commission will, together with relevant departments, be responsible for the comprehensive coordination, follow-up analysis, supervision and inspection of the implementation of these Opinions, and ensure that all work is advanced steadily and orderly.
State Council General Office
23 December 2016