Deliberated and approved at the CCP Central Committee Politburo meeting of 28 September 2020, and issued on 30 September 2020 by the CCP Central Committee
Chapter I: General Provisions
Article 1: These Regulations are formulated in order to strengthen the work of the Party’s Central Committee, on the basis of the “Charter of the Communist Party of China”.
Article 2: The Party’s highest leading body is the Party’s National Congress and the Central Committee this produces. During times where the National Congress is not in session, the Central Committee leads the Party’s overall work, and represents the Chinese Communist Party externally.
Article 3: The Central Committee holds high the magnificent banner of Socialism with Chinese characteristics, takes Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory, the important “Three Represents” thought, the scientific development concept, and Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a new era, it takes the lead in strengthening the “Four Consciousnesses”, steadfastly upholds the “Four Self-Confidences”, ensuring the “Two Safeguards”, it does not forget its original intention, keeps its mission firmly in mind, assumes all responsibility for the entire picture, coordinates all sides, and unites and leads the entire Party, the entire military, the entire country and the people of all ethnicities in the untiring struggle to comprehensively construct a strong, modern Socialist country, and realize the Chinese Dream of the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation with a firm and correct political position and political direction.
Article 4: The Central Committee will firmly grasp the following principles in conducting its work:
(1) Upholding Party leadership over all work, ensuring the concentrated and united leadership of the Party centre.
(2) Upholding and developing Socialism with Chinese characteristics, comprehensively implementing the Party’s basic theory, basic line and basic general plan.
(3) Upholding liberating thoughts, seeking truth from facts, progressing with the times, seeking reality in a pragmatic manner.
(4) Upholding service to the people with all hearts and minds, putting the people central, governing for the sake of the people, and relying on the people in governing.
(5) Upholding democratic centralism, fully carrying intra-Party democracy forward, implementing correct and effective centralization, safeguarding Party unity and uniformity.
(6) Upholding strict Party management and Party governance, forever preserving the Party’s advanced nature and purity.
Chapter II: Leading position
Article 5: The Central Committee, the Politburo, and the Politburo Standing Committee are the brains and central axis of the Party’s organizational system, they grasp the orientation, plan the overall picture, direct policy and stimulate reform in the undertaking of advancing Socialism with Chinese characteristics. Only the Party Centre has the power to decide and resolve major issues of programmes and policies involving the entire Party and the entire country.
The Party Centre’s major policy decisions and arrangements are the basis for the entire Party, the entire military, the entire country and the people of all ethnicities to unify thoughts, unify intentions and unify actions.
Article 6: The Party Centre embodies the magnificent struggle, the magnificent project, the magnificent undertaking and the magnificent dream, it comprehensively advances the general “Five into One” arrangement, it coordinates the advance of the strategic “Four Comprehensives” arrangement, it completely leads work in all areas and all aspects including stable reform and development, internal politics, foreign affairs and national defence, governing the Party, governing the country, and governing the military, etc., and implements concentrated and united leadership over major work in the Party’s and the country’s undertaking and development.
Article 7: All levels’ Peoples Congresses, governments, consultative conferences, supervision bodies, judicial bodies, procuratorate bodies and armed forces, all democratic parties and non-party affiliated persons, people’s organizations, enterprise and undertaking work units, grass-roots mass self-governance organizations, social organizations, etc., must all consciously accept the leadership of the Party Centre.
Article 8: All organizations of entire Party and the entire body of Party members must consciously serve the Party Centre, emulate the Party Centre, determinedly uphold the authority of the Party Centre and its concentrated, united leadership, and consciously maintain a high degree of consistency with the Party Centre in their thoughts, their politics and their actions.
Chapter III: Leadership systems
Article 9: The Central Committee is produced through election by the Party’s National Congress, it is composed of Committee members and alternate members, with a term of office of five years. If the National Congress is organized earlier or later, the Central Committee’s term of office will correspondingly change.
The number of Central Committee members and alternate members is decided by the National Congress. Central Committee members and alternate members must have more than five years of Party seniority. The selection shall bring together governing backbones and excellent representatives from all regions, all departments, all battle fronts and all sectors of the Party, with firm politics, excellent qualities, a balanced distribution and a rational structure, who are able to take up the historical burden of governing the Party, the country and the military, and advancing the undertaking of Socialism with Chinese characteristics for a new era.
If a Central Committee membership post is vacant, the Central Committee alternate members will successively fill vacancies according to the number of votes they received.
Article 10: The Politburo, Politburo Standing Committee and General Secretary are chose by the whole Central Committee. The Central Committee General Secretary must be produced from the members of the Politburo Standing Committee.
The Central Secretariat is the office body of the Politburo and its Standing Committee; its members are nominated by the members of the Politburo Standing Committee, and passed by the whole Central Committee.
The Central leading bodies and Central leaders produced by every Central Committee will, during the sitting period of the next National Congress, continue to take charge of everyday Party work, until the point where the next Central Committee has produced new Central leading organs and Central leaders.
Article 11: Under the leadership of the Party Centre, the Central Military Commission exercises the duties and responsibilities of the highest military leading body of Party and State. A chairman responsibility system is implemented for the Central Military Commission.
Article 12: Under the leadership of the Party Centre, the Central Discipline Inspection Committee (National Supervision Committee) exercises the duties and responsibilities of the highest disciplinary inspection body of the Party (and the highest supervisory body of the State).
Article 13: The Party Centre establishes several policy-making and deliberation coordination bodies who, under the leadership of the Party Centre, are responsible for top-level design, comprehensive planning and coordination, overall advance and supervision of implementation in related major work areas.
The Party Centre establishes several work bodies who, under the leadership of the Party Centre, are in charge of or conduct relevant Centre work.
The Party Centre establishes Party Groups in the National People’s Congress, the State Council, the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, the Supreme People’s Court, the Supreme People’s Procuratorate, etc., who are responsible to the Party Centre and implement the Party Centre’s policy decisions and arrangements.
Chapter IV: Leadership powers
Article 14: During periods where the Party’s National Congress is not in session, the Central Committee executes the resolutions of the National Congress, and exercises the following powers:
(1) It convenes the National Congress, deciding on the number and selection methods for National Congress delegates; discussing the Central Committee report to the National Congress, the Central Discipline Inspection Committee report to the National Congress, the revision draft of the Party Charter, and decides on requesting inspection and deliberation by the National Congress. When necessary, it decides to convene a national Party delegate conference, and decides the quota and production rules of national Party conference delegates.
(2) It elects and produces Central leading bodies and the Central Committee General Secretary, it passes the members of the Central Secretariat, it decides on the members composing the Central Military Commission, approves the standing committee, secretary and vice-secretary elected and produced by the plenary session of the Central Discipline Inspection Committee; it elects more or supplementary members of Central leading bodies, supplements members of the Central Secretariat and members composing the Central Military Commission.
(3) It hears and discusses the work report of the Politburo.
(4) It discusses and decides upon major issues relating to the entire picture of the development of the Party and State’s undertaking.
(5) It discusses and decides upon recommendation of candidates for national president and vice-president, and recommendation of candidates for leading positions in the National People’s Congress, State Council, Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, Central Military Commission, National Supervision Committee, Supreme People’s Court, and Supreme People’s Procuratorate.
(6) It decides upon filling vacant Central Committee positions; it decides or retroactively recognizes punishments of Central Committee members and alternate members by dismissal from intra-Party positions, Party probation or removal of Party membership.
(7) It discusses and decides upon other major issues and matters concerning the Party’s governance of the country and management of the administration, as well as Party management and Party governance.
During periods where the Central Committee plenary meeting is not in session, the Central Committee’s duties are exercised by the Politburo and its Standing Committee.
Article 15: The politburo executes the resolutions and decisions of the National Congress and the Central Committee, it reports its work to the plenary Central Committee and accepts its supervision, and exercises the following powers.
(1) It convenes and chairs the plenary meetings of the Central Committee, researches and decides upon issues and matters to be submitted to the plenary Central Committee meeting for deliberation.
(2) It discusses and decides upon major issues and affairs relating to the entire picture of the development of the Party and State’s undertaking
(3) During periods where the Central Committee plenary meeting is not in session, it decides upon punishing Central Committee members and alternate members with dismissal from intra-Party positions, Party probation or removal of Party membership, in expectation of recognition when the Central Committee plenary conference convenes; it decides upon removing from Party membership of Central Committee members and alternate members gravely violating criminal law.
(4) It recommends, nominates, appoints and dismisses cadres according to relevant regulations,; and decides ways of dealing with or punishing relevant Party leading cadres.
(5) It researches and decides upon other major issues and matters that should be decided by the Politburo.
Article 16: The Politburo Standing Committee executes the decisions and resolutions, of the National Congress and the Central Committee, it organizes the implementation of the programmes and policies formulated by the Politburo, and exercises the following powers:
(1) It handles the daily work of the Party Centre.
(2) It researches and discusses major issues and matters relating to the entire picture of the development of the Party and State’s undertaking and puts forward opinions, submitting then to the Politburo for deliberation.
(3) It researches and decides upon major issues and matters concerning Party and State work.
(4) It decides on the handling and work arrangements for major sudden incidents.
(5) It listens to the Central Secretariat work report ad the work reports of the Central Discipline Inspection Committee (National Supervision Council), the National People’s Congress Party Group, the State Council Party Group, the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference Party Group, the Supreme People’s Court Party Group, the Supreme People’s Procuratorate Party Group, etc.
(6) It recommends, nominates, appoints and dismisses cadres according to relevant regulations; and decides ways of dealing with or publishing relevant Party cadres.
(7) It researches and decides upon other major issues and matters that should be decided by the Politburo Standing Committee.
Article 17: The Central Committee General Secretary is responsible for convening the meetings of the Politburo and the Politburo Standing Committee, and chairs the work of the Central Secretariat.
Article 18: The Central Secretariat arranges and conducts its work according to the instructions of the Politburo, the Politburo Standing Committee and the Central Committee General Secretary.
Chapter V: Leadership methods
Article 19: The Party Centre deeply grasps the governance laws of the Communist Party, the laws of Socialist construction, and the laws of human social development, it upholds and develops Marxist ways of thinking and ways of working, it adapts to new times and new requirements, improves and perfects leadership methods, strengthens the construction of the Party’s long-term governance capacity, and raises the Party’s level of scientific governance, democratic governance, and governance according to the law.
Article 20: The Party Centre holds high the banner and directs the orientation, it navigates and steers the ship, and leads the advanced direction of the undertaking of the Party and the State. It strengthens political leadership, unwaveringly marching the path of Socialism with Chinese characteristics. It strengthens ideological leadership, and uses Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese characteristics for a new era to arm the entire Party and educate the people. It strengthens leadership in demeanour, and concentrates the Party’s hearts, the military’s hearts and the people’s hearts with the force of formidable truths and the force of human dignity.
Article 21: The Party Centre assumes responsibility of the entire picture and coordinates all sides, it ensures that the entire Party, the entire military, the entire country and the people of all ethnicities advance together with united determination, united actions and in step. It takes charge of all work matters, comprehensively advancing the undertaking of the Party and the State in all aspects. It takes charge of forces of all sides, leading all levels’ and all kinds of organizations and the broad Party members, cadres and the masses to act unitedly. It takes charge of national governance, upholds and perfects the Socialist system with Chinese characteristics, and advances the modernization of the national governance system and governing capacity.
Article 22: The Party Centre leads the entire Party in a magnificent self-revolution and a magnificent social revolution with a high sense of responsibility, a strong worrying mentality, and a dauntless revolutionary spirit, incessantly promoting the advance of the magnificent undertaking of Socialism with Chinese characteristics in a new era.
Chapter VI: Policy decisions and arrangements
Article 23: The Party Centre makes policy decisions on major issues in Party and State work according to the principles of collective leadership, democratic centralism, individual fermentation, and decisions by meetings. On the basis of requirement, meetings of the plenary Central Committee, the Politburo or the Politburo Standing Committee are convened to discuss and decide on matters.
When the Party Centre makes major policy decisions and arrangements, it must deeply investigate and research matters, broadly listen to opinions and suggestions from all sides, strengthen analysis and elucidation, concentrate a consensus of wisdom, ensure scientific policymaking, democratic policymaking, and policymaking according to the law.
Article 24: The Central Committee’s plenary meeting is to be organized at least once every year. The agenda of the meeting will be determined after soliciting opinions from a certain scope inside the Party.
The Central Committee’s plenary meeting may only be convened if more than half of the Central Committee members are present at the meeting venue. If Central Committee members and alternate members cannot participate for some reason, they shall ask for leave before the meeting, their opinions may be expressed in written form. On the basis of requirement, it may be arranged for relevant persons to attend the meeting in a non-voting capacity.
On the basis of differences in matters under discussion and decision, methods such as raising hands, secret ballots, etc. are adopted to make decisions by vote, where affirmative votes exceed half of the number of members, they are passed. The opinions of non-present members is not counted into the vote tally. Alternate members do not participate in voting.
Punishment of Central Committee members and alternate members by dismissal from intra-Party positions, Party probation or removal of Party membership must be decided by a two-thirds majority of the Central Committee’s plenary meeting. During periods where the Central Committee’s plenary meeting is not in session, this may be decided first by the Politburo, in expectation of the convention of a plenary Central Committee meeting, at which time it will be recognized.
Article 25: Politburo meetings are generally organized regularly, in the event of important circumstances, they may be organized whenever necessary. The topic of the meeting is decided by the Central Committee General Secretary.
Politburo meetings may only be convened if more than half of the Politburo members are present at the meeting venue. On the basis of requirement, it may be arranged for relevant persons to attend the meeting in a non-voting capacity.
Politburo meetings shall, when deciding issues, fully discuss them, and where they involve multiple matters, conduct item-by-item discussion and decisions.
Article 26: Politburo Standing Committee meetings are generally organized regularly, in the event of important circumstances, they may be organized whenever necessary. The topic of the meeting is decided by the Central Committee General Secretary.
Politburo Standing Committee meetings may only be convened if more than half of the Politburo members are present at the meeting venue. On the basis of requirement, it may be arranged for relevant persons to attend the meeting in a non-voting capacity.
Politburo Standing Committee meetings shall, when deciding issues, fully discuss them, and where they involve multiple matters, conduct item-by-item discussion and decisions.
Article 27: The Central Secretariat convenes office meetings to research and discuss relevant matters according to the policy decisions and arrangements of the Central Committee, and the instructions and requirements of the General Secretary. The topics of the meetings are decided by the Central Committee General Secretary.
Article 28: The Party Centre convenes work conferences, special topic conferences, etc. on the basis of requirements, to analyse trends and arrange work.
Article 29: According to the policy decisions and arrangements of the Central Committee, and the instructions and requirements of the General Secretary, the Party Centre’s policy decision, deliberation and coordination bodies convene meetings, to research policy decisions, and arrange and coordinate major work in relevant areas. The topic of the meeting is determined or authorized by the General Secretary.
After relevant matters are deliberated by a meeting of a Central policy decision, deliberation and coordinating body, it is submitted to a Politburo Standing Committee meeting for deliberation on the basis of requirement.
Article 30: The Party Centre conducts consultation on major Party and State programmes and policies, major issues, major personnel arrangements, etc., it listens to opinions and suggestions from all democratic parties’ centres, the All-China Federation of Industry and Commerce, and non-party affiliated persons and representatives, who report on major situations, communicate thoughts, and enhance consensus.
Chapter VII: Self-construction
Article 31: The members composing the Central Committee, the Politburo and the Politburo Standing Committee must make the “Two Upholds” into a fundamental political requirement, take the lead in achieving the “Two Upholds”, ensure the smooth passing of Party Centre decrees, and strict enforcement of orders and prohibitions, and ensure the Party Centre’s policy decisions and arrangements touch the ground and become effective.
Article 32: The members composing the Central Committee, the Politburo and the Politburo Standing Committee must keep firmly in mind that they a member of the Party’s highest leading bodies, uphold organizational principles and the principles of the Party nature, closely observe political discipline and political manners, conduct affairs according to procedures, conduct affairs according to norms, and conduct affairs according to the collective will, upholding and maintaining the unity of the Party.
The members composing the Central Committee, the Politburo and the Politburo Standing Committee shall consciously execute the Party Charter and other such intra-Party regulations, consciously implement the Party’s mass line, strictly implement the Centre’s eight rules, uphold a spirit of opposing formalism, bureaucratism, hedonism and extravagance, consciously struggle with privileged thinking and privileged appearances, and maintain a upright and just, honest and clean political quality throughout.
Politburo members shall timely submit reports to the Party Centre on major policy decisions, major matters and major circumstances. Where it is necessary, in the process of execution, to adjust major Party Centre policies or decisions and major work arrangements, it must be reported to the Party Centre for approval.
Article 33: The members composing the Central Committee, the Politburo and the Politburo Standing Committee shall take the lead in carrying forward intra-Party democracy, and earnestly implement the democratic centralist principles and procedures determined in the Party Charter and other such intra-Party regulations. The Politburo annually organizes a democratic life meeting. The Central Committee members and alternate members participating in plenary Central Committee meetings shall vigorously express opinions and put forward suggestions on Party and State work.
Chapter VIII: Supplementary provisions
Article 34: The interpretation of these Regulations is the responsibility of the Central Committee General Office
Article 35: These Regulations take effect on the date of promulgation.