Central Committee General Office
State Council General Office
27 July 2016
In the present world, information technology innovation changes every day, and a tide of informatization, characterized by digitization, networking and smartification has vigorously arisen. Without informatization, there is no modernization. Adapting to and leading a new normal in economic development, and strengthening new development drivers, require informatization to penetrate into the entire process of our country’s modernization, and the acceleration and liberation of the huge potential of informatization development. Driving modernization with informatization and building a strong network power are major measures in the “Four Comprehensive” strategic positioning, and are necessary choices to realize the “Two Centenaries” struggle objective and the Chinese Dream of the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
This Strategy Outline is an adjustment and development of the “National Informatization Development Strategy 2006-2020” on the basis of new circumstances, it is a programmatic document to standardize and guide national informatization development in the next ten years it is an important component part of the national strategy system, and is an important basis for the formulation of plans and policies in the area of informatization.
I, The basic circumstances of national informatization development
(1) Human society has undergone the agricultural revolution and the industrial revolution, and is now undergoing the information revolution. At present, a new round of scientific and technological revolution is unfolding, represented by information technology, the Internet is becoming more of a guiding force for innovation-driven development every day. Information technology is blending into biotechnology, new energy technology, new material technology, etc., which is currently triggering mass technological breakthroughs with green, smart and extensive characteristics. Information, capital, technology and talent are flowing ever more quickly at a global scale, the Internet is promoting industrial change, it stimulates the transformation from an industrial economy to an information economy, and a new international division of labour structure is being shaped. The Internet information undertaking represents new productive forces and new development orientations, it promotes an unprecedented enhancement of humanity’s capacity to understand the world and change the world, it is currently profoundly changing people’s ways of production and life, it brings a qualitative leap in productivity, triggers a major change in relationships of production, and is becoming a guiding force remoulding a new structure in the development of the international economy, politics, culture, society, ecology, and military affairs. Global informatization has entered a new stage of comprehensive penetration, cross-boundary convergence, where it accelerates innovation, and leads development.
Following the profound development of global multipolarity, economic globalization, cultural diversification and social informatization, the global governance system has changed profoundly, whoever occupies the commanding heights of informatization, is able to grasp the decisive opportunity, win superiority, win security and win the future. Developed countries continue to promote innovation in information technology, they are incessantly accelerating economic and social digitization, and are consolidating their leadership advantages with all their might. Developing countries are grasping opportunities to reorganized and adjust industry chains, are stimulating the transformation of development through informatization, and are vigorously pursuing mastery of the power of initiative in development. All countries worldwide are accelerating their strategic arrangements in cyberspace, and the game concerning winning key resources and formulating international norms is growing more acute and complex every days. Accelerating informatization development and building digital countries has become a global consensus.
(2) After entering the new century, and especially after the 18th Party Congress, our country’s informatization has gained considerable progress, but is still far away from the objectives of comprehensively constructing a moderately prosperous society and accelerating the modernization of Socialism, we persist in marching the development path of informatization with Chinese characteristics and innovation-driven modernization,, building a strong cyber power is an urgent matter, and no time may be wasted. At present, our country ranks first in the world in terms of the quantity of netizens, the value of online retail, and the production of electronic information products, a batch of information technology enterprises and Internet enterprises has entered the front ranks of the world, and a relatively perfect information industry system has been shaped. Information technology applications are deepening incessantly, and “Internet Plus” is a new factor changing the situation, the pace of economic and social digitization and networking is accelerating, positive energy in cyberspace is further concentrated and strengthened, and the role of informatization in the overall picture of modernization construction is becoming more prominent every day. At the same time, relatively prominent problems also exist in our country’s informatization development, which mainly are: core technologies and facilities are controlled by others, information resources are insufficiently open and used, the spread of information infrastructure is not high, differences between regions and urban and rural areas are relatively prominent, national security faces grave challenges, the construction of a legal system in cyberspace urgently needs to be strengthened, and the potential of information technology in stimulating economic and social development, as well as serving the overall strategic arrangement of the country, has not been fully liberated.
Our country’s comprehensive national strength, international influence and strategic initiative position are continuously strengthening, and in terms of development, we are still in an important period of strategic opportunity with great promise. From the point of view of the domestic environment, our country has entered a crucial period in which a new kind of industrialization, informatization, urbanization and agricultural modernization are developing simultaneously, the information revolution has provided historical opportunities for our country to complete the task of industrialization, to surpass the “middle income trap” and to build new international competitive advantages, but it also warns us about the huge risks we face, of falling behind if we do not move forward, of also falling behind of we move too slowly, and of losing opportunities because of mistakes. Standing at a new historical starting point, we absolutely have the ability to rely on our large-country advantages and systemic advantages, accelerate informatization development, and promote our Socialist modernization undertaking to climb another step higher.
II, Guiding ideology, strategic objectives and basic principles
(1) Guiding ideology. Hold high the magnificent banner of Socialism with Chinese characteristics, comprehensively implement the spirit of the 19th Party Congress and the 3rd, 4th and 5th Plenums of the 18th Party Congress, take Deng Xiaoping Theory, the important “Three Represents” thought, and the scientific development view as guidance, deeply study and implement the spirit of the series of important speeches by General Secretary Xi Jinping, closely focus on the overall arrangement of the “Five into One” and the strategic arrangement of the “Four Comprehensives”, firmly establish innovative, coordinated, green, open and shared development ideas, implement the development idea of putting the people central, comprehensively deal with both the domestic and international situation, comprehensively deal with both great matters of development and security, persist in marching an informatization development path with Chinese characteristics, persist in maintaining step with realizing the “Two Centenaries” struggle objectives, take informatization-driven modernization as the main line, take constructing a strong cyber power as objective, strive to strengthen capacity for national informatization development, strive to raise informatization application levels, strive to optimize the environment for informatization development, move forward the modernization of national governance systems and governance capacities, strive to be one step ahead in practicing new development ideas, and let informatization enrich society, enrich the people, and lay a firm basis to realize the Chinese Dream of the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
(2) Strategic objectives
By 2020, household fixed broadband connectivity rates are to reach mid-level developed country standards, third-generation mobile telecommunications (3G) and fourth-generation mobile telecommunications (4G) network to cover of urban and rural regions, fifth-generation mobile telecommunications )%G) technology research, development and standardization are to see breakthrough-style progress. Information consumption value to reach 6 trillion Yuan, the e-commerce trading scale is to reach 38 trillion Yuan. The key and crucial technological component areas are to reach international advanced levels, the international competitiveness of the information industry is to increase substantially, digitization, networking and smartification in focus sectors is to see clear progress, a networked and coordinated innovation system is to be completely shaped, e-government support for the modernization of the national governance system and governance capacity is to continue powerfully, informatization is to become a leading force driving modernization construction.
International Internet export bandwidth is to reach 20 Tbps, in support of the implementation of “One Belt, One Road”, network interconnection and information exchange is to be realized with neighbouring countries, a China – ASEAN information port is to be built, the beginnings of an online Silk Road are to be built, the international competitiveness of information and telecommunications technologies, products and internet services is to increase markedly.
By 2025, a new generation of information and telecommunications technologies are to see real-time applications, household fixed-broadband connectivity rates are to approach international advanced levels, an internationally leading mobile telecommunications network is to be built, and seamless broadband network coverage is to be realized. Information consumption values are to reach 12 trillion Yuan, e-commerce trading volumes are to reach 67 trillion Yuan. The situation that key and crucial technologies are controlled by others is to be fundamentally changed, a secure and controllable information technology industry system is to be shaped, and e-governance applications and information welfare levels are to substantially rise. The strategic goals of advanced technologies, developed industries, leadership in applications, and network security and unassailability are to be realized.
Internet international export broadband speed is to reach 48 Tbps, four large international information passages are to be built, to link up countries and regions in the Pacific, Central and Eastern Europe, West and North Africa, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, India, Pakistan, Burma, Russia, etc., and a batch of large-scale multinational Internet information enterprises with strong international competitiveness are to come to the fore.
By the middle of this century, informatization is to comprehensively support the construction of a wealthy, prosperous, democratic, civilized and harmonious modernized Socialist country, the position of a strong cyber power is to be consolidated more every day, and [we] are to have an ever greater role in leading global informatization development.
(3) Basic principles
– Moving forward comprehensively. Informatization affects the long-term sustainable development of the national economy and society, it affects the long-term peace and order of the country, and it affects the welfare of the popular masses, we must keep the large picture in mind, grasp overall trends and focus on great events, comprehensively deal with the centre and the localities, comprehensively deal with forces from all Party, government and military sides, comprehensively deal with the roles of the market and government, comprehensively deal with intermediate objectives and long-term objectives, comprehensively deal with major problems in all areas of informatization development, and ensure that national informatization develops in a comprehensive, coordinated, sustainable and healthy manner.
– Innovation and leadership. Comprehensively implement the innovation-driven development strategy, make innovative development into a fundamental policy to respond to changes in development environments, strengthen development drivers, grasp the initiative in development, and lead the new normal in economic development in an even better way, with a spirit of time waiting for no-one, and making good use of every moment, strive to grasp core technologies, grasp the initiative post haste, and occupy the competitive commanding heights.
– Driving development. Give rein to the driving role of informatization to the greatest possible extent, implement the national big data strategy, move forward the “Internet Plus” action plan, guide the profound convergence of a new generation of information technologies and all areas of the economy and society, promote that superior new business models expand into an ever greater scope and an ever broader territory, and comprehensively enhance informatization levels in the economy, politics, culture, society, ecological civilization, national defence and other such areas.
– Improving people’s livelihoods. Persist in taking enrichment of society and enrichment of the people into the starting point and checking point for work, give rein to the role of the Internet in boosting poverty relief, move forward with accurate poverty assistance and poverty relief, incessantly enhance the people’s welfare; closely focus on the people’s expectations and needs, stimulate the equalization of basic common services through informatization, and let hundreds of millions of people have an even greater sense of gain through sharing the fruits of Internet development.
– Cooperation and mutual gain. Persist in pushing informatization there where the national interest is, focus on the construction of “One Belt, One Road”, strengthen network interconnection, stimulate information exchange, accelerate the construction of a community of common destiny in cyberspace, use both domestic and international markets and resources, as well as both online and offline spaces well, actively participate in global governance, incessantly enhance our international influence and discursive power.
– Guaranteeing security. Cybersecurity and informatization are two wings of one body, two wheels of one cart, they must be planned together, arranged together, moved forward together and implemented together, it must be ensures that they are coordinated and consistent, and are advanced simultaneously; realistically prevent, control and eliminate risks that might occur in the process of informatization, guarantee development with security, stimulate security with development, strive to build a trend of long-term security, and create an undertaking of long-term order.
III, Forcefully strengthening informatization development capacities
(1) Developing core technologies, strengthening the information industry
The extent of information technology and industry development decide informatization development levels. Our country is currently in a crucial period of catching up, running along, taking the lead and transforming the run, we must grasp the ox of indigenous innovation by the muzzle, build secure and controllable information technology systems, foster industrial ecologies with international competitiveness, and grasp the initiative in development closely in our own hands.
- Building advanced technology systems. Formulate development strategy outlines for core technologies and facilities in the area of national information, remedy individual disadvantages with systematized thinking, forge internationally advanced, secure and controllable core technology systems, promote fundamental breakthroughs in integrated circuits, basic software, core components and other such weak segments. Vigorously strive for and consolidate a globally leading position in next-generation mobile telecommunications, next-generation Internet and other such areas, strive to build comparative advantages in areas such as mobile Internet, cloud computing, big data, the Internet of things, etc.
- Strengthening pioneering and fundamental research. Accelerate the perfection of basic research systems and mechanisms, strengthen the dominant position and guiding role of enterprise innovation, expand tackling of key scientific and technological problems in basic and advanced technologies in the information and telecommunications technology area, as well as common crucial technologies. Abide by the laws of innovation, focus on long-term development, advance planning and arrangements, expand investments and guarantees, and provide long-term support for pioneering exploration. Implement international new-generation information technology innovation exchange programmes.
- Forging an industrial ecology for coordinated development. Comprehensively arrange fundamental research, technological innovation, industry development and applications, and strengthen the coordination and interaction between all sections of the value chain. Raise the added value of products and services, and accelerate the industry’s migration to high-end value. Strengthen the forward-looking positioning of patens and standards, perfect a public service system covering intellectual property rights, technology standards, outcome transformation, monitoring and verification, and industrialization investment assessment, etc.
- Fostering major key enterprises. Support key enterprises to play a leading and driving role, link up with higher education institutes and scientific research bodies to forge research and development centres and technology industry alliances, explore the establishment of a core technology research and development investment company, and create high-efficiency transformation channels for the industrialization of technology. Deepen reform of public offering rules, support innovative enterprises to list themselves on domestic markets. Support enterprises to establish research and development bodies and expand market abroad, effectively use global resources, and enhance their internationalized development levels.
- Supporting innovation in small, mid-size and micro enterprises. Expand support for research and development in innovative science and technology enterprises, implement accumulative research and development expense deduction policies for enterprises, and appropriately broaden the scope of application of these policies. Perfect mechanisms for technology trade and enterprise incubation, and build inclusive innovation support policy systems. Perfect public service platforms, and raise the indigenous innovation and sustainable development capacity of small, mid-size and micro enterprises.
(2) Laying down infrastructure, strengthening universal service
Ubiquitous advanced infrastructure is the cornerstone of informatization development. We must accelerate the construction of national information infrastructure with three-dimensional coverage from land, sea, air and space, incessantly perfect universal service, and let people understand the world, grasp information, cast off poverty, improve lives and enjoy happiness through the network.
- Comprehensively planning the composition of infrastructure. Deepen reform in the telecommunications sector, and encourage enterprises of many kinds of ownership system to participate in orderly competition. Comprehensively deal with the requirements of national informatization construction, realize the common construction and common use of information infrastructure, and move forward with coordinated development between regions, and between urban and rural areas. Coordinate the deployment of spectrum resources, scientifically plan the radio spectrum, and enhance resource usage efficiency. Strengthen the linkage of information infrastructure with planning in municipal administration, roads, railroads, airports, etc. Support the Hong Kong and Macau regions to perfect information infrastructure arrangements.
- Strengthening the capabilities of space facilities. Focusing on satellite application areas including telecommunications, navigation and sensing, establish a sustained, stable, secure and controllable national space infrastructure. Scientifically plan and use satellite frequencies and orbital resources. Build information networks integrating land and space, strengthen access service capacities, and promote the interconnection and interaction of space and terrestrial facilities. Comprehensively arrange the construction and application of the Big Dipper satellite navigation system, and move forward the industrialization and marching out process of Big Dipper. Strengthen remote sensing and monitoring of land, air and sea, and enhance our country’s service and protection capability for resources and the environment, ecological protection, emergency response and disaster relief, mass consumption as well as global observation.
- Optimizing and upgrading broadband networks. Broaden the scope of network coverage, increase business carrying capacity and application service levels, and realize multi-system networks and coordinated development of business activities. Accelerate the large-scale deployment and commercial use of the next-generation Internet, and move forward with the converged development of mass telecommunication networks, radio and television networks and next-generation Internet. Strengthen the strategic arrangement and technological background for the long-term evolution of future networks, and build national uniform experimental platforms. Vigorously launch arrangements for fifth-generation mobile telecommunications (5G) technology research, development, standardization and industrialization.
- Raise universal service levels. Scientifically and flexibly choose access technologies, and move rural network coverage forward in a categorized manner. Developed regions are to have preference in moving class fibre village connections forward. Border regions, remote regions, forest and pastoral regions, islands and other regions are, on the basis of their circumstances, to adopt means including mobile honeycombs, satellite telecommunications, etc. to realize coverage. Localities with dispersed housing, in remote locations or difficult geographical circumstances may realize network access in integration with population relocation or centralized placement. Perfect universal telecommunications service compensation mechanisms, establish long-term mechanisms to support broadband network development in the countryside and in Central and Western regions, move forward with raising network speeds while lowering costs, and create conditions for disadvantaged social groups to use the network.
(3) Developing information resources, liberating the digital dividend
Information resources are becoming ever more of an important production factor and social asset every day, the amount of information grasped, and the strength or weakness of information capacities are becoming an important symbol to measure a country’s competitiveness. At present, the phenomena that our country’s information resource and usage are insufficient and that there is disorder and abuse coexist, we must strengthen top-level design and systemic planning, perfect structures and systems, comprehensively enhance information collecting, processing, transmission, utilization and security capabilities, and build national information advantages.
- Strengthening information resource planning, construction and management. Promote comprehensive national planning and categorized management of focus information resources, and strengthen capabilities to control crucial information resources. Perfect dynamic renewal of basic information resources as well as sharing and application mechanisms. Innovate construction and operational models for departmental business systems, and progressively realize the separation of business applications from data management. Comprehensively plan the construction of a national Internet big data platform. Progressively launch socialized trading data back-ups and authentication, and ensure that data are traceable and recoverable.
- Raising utilization rates of information resources. Establish public information resource openness catalogues, build uniform, standardized, interconnected, interactive, secure and controllable national data openness systems, vigorously and steadily move openness and sharing of public information resources forward. Develop information resource markets, stimulate information consumption. Guide and standardize the value-added exploitation and use of public information resources, and support market subjects to use global information resources to launch business innovation.
12, Establishing basic structures and systems for information resources. Explore the establishment of protection mechanisms for rights and interests in information resources, implement hierarchical and categorized management, and shape whole-process management systems for focus information resources. Strengthen collection management and standard formulation, and raise the accuracy, reliability and usability of information resources. Protect personal privacy and enterprises’ commercial secrecy according to the law, and ensure national security. Research the formulation of management rules for the cross-border interflow of information resources.
(4) Optimizing talent teams, enhancing information skills
Talent resources are the first resources, talent competition is the final competition. We must perfect talent training, selection, utilization, evaluation and incentive mechanisms, remove obstacles, gather heroic talents from all under heaven and use them, and provide powerful talent support for the development of the online information undertaking.
- Training a batch of leading talents. With the support of the national major talent project, expand support for informatization leading talents, foster and train global-level scientists, leading network science and technology talents, outstanding engineers, high-level innovation teams and informatization management talents. Attract and support foreign high-level talents to return to the country to innovate and set up businesses, establish foreign talent and expert recruitment structures, reduce thresholds for permanent residency rights, explore the establishment of technology migrant rules, and raise our country’s capability to deploy talents around the entire world.
- Expanding expert talent teams. Build informatization specialist talent training systems with tertiary education and professional education at the core, and with the assistance of continuous education. Set up information technology application courses in common undergraduate colleges and vocational collages. Broaden made-to-order talent training, and establish informatization talent fostering and training basis. Support joint talent training with foreign high-level bodies.
- Perfecting talent incentive mechanisms. Adopt special policies, establish human resource structures, remuneration structures and talent evaluation structures suited to the characteristics of online information, and break through structural limitations to talent circulation. Broaden channels to discover talent, support the launch of innovation and entrepreneurial competitions, skills contests and other such activities, and be good at using competitive mechanisms to select special talents. Perfect incentive mechanisms such as technology-into-shares, stock options, etc., and establish and complete allocation mechanisms for the profit from the intellectual property rights of scientific and technological achievements.
- Enhance citizens’ information skills. Improve the informatization environment and primary and secondary schools, and move basic informatization education forward. Comprehensively launch informatization training and evaluation of state personnel. Implement the information illiteracy elimination action plan, give rein to the role of doctoral service teams, university student village officials, the plan for university students’ voluntary service in the Western region, “Three Supports and One Relief” and other such projects, and provide knowledge and skills training in elderly, minority, border and poor regions, as well as for weaker groups.
(5) Deepening collaboration and exchange, expanding development space
The Internet is truly changing the world into a global village, and changing international society ever more into a community of common destiny in which I find myself among you, and you find yourself among me. We must vigorously launch bilateral and multilateral international exchange and cooperation, jointly respond to the challenges we face in cybersecurity, jointly safeguard fairness and justice in cyberspace, and jointly share in the opportunities and fruits of the global information revolution.
- Deepening international cooperation and exchange. Strengthen coordination and cooperation with international frameworks and multilateral mechanisms such as the United Nations, the G20, the BRICS countries, the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Organization, the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, etc., promote the establishment of international mutual trust and dialogue mechanisms in the area of informatization. Organize the setup of collaboration channels, and build global best practices dissemination platforms for informatization. Implement the Sino-US, Sino-EU, Sino-UK and Sino-Germany digital economy collaboration projects.
- Participating in the formulation of international norms. Vigorously participate in the formulation of international norms for security in cyberspace. Consolidate and develop regional standardization cooperation mechanisms, vigorously strive for an important position in international standardization organizations. In crucial technologies and important areas such as mobile telecommunications, next-generation Internet, next-generation radio and television networks, cloud computing, big data, the Internet of Things, smart manufacturing, smart cities, cybersecurity, etc., vigorously participate in the formulation of international standards. Encourage enterprises, research bodies, social organizations and individuals to vigorously enter international open source communities.
- Broadening international development space. Move forward informatization development in the construction of “One Belt, One Road”, comprehensively plan the construction of underwater glass fibre cables and cross-border terrestrial glass fibre cables, raise international interconnection and interaction levels, and forge an online Silk Road. Accelerate the promotion of interconnection and interaction with neighbouring countries’ information infrastructure, open terrestrial channels through Central Asia to Western Asia, through South Asia to the Indian Ocean, through Russia to Central and Eastern Europe, etc., vigorously move forward the construction of underwater glass fibre cables to the Americas, Europe and Africa. Collaborate in the construction of the China – Central Asia Information Platform, the China – ASEAN Information Port, and the China – Arabia Online Silk Road. Comprehensively plan the construction of our country’s global network facilities, support enterprises in expanding foreign business and nodes, and increase our country’s influence on global networks.
- Jointly building a new order on international networks. Persist in the principles of respect for cyber sovereignty, maintaining peace and security, stimulating openness and collaboration, and building a desirable order, promote the establishment of a multilateral, democratic and transparent international Internet governance system. Vigorously participate in moving forward the internationalization and reform of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). Strengthen international law enforcement cooperation in cyberspace, and promote the formulation of international anti-terrorism pacts in cyberspace. Complete mechanisms for judicial assistance in attacking online crime, and jointly ensure peace and security in cyberspace.
IV, Striving to enhance economic and social informatization levels
(1) Fostering the information economy, stimulating the transformation of development
Accelerating the construction of a digital China and forcefully developing the information economy are the heaviest of heavies in informatization work. We must focus on moving forward supply-side structural reform, give rein to the role of informatization in the productivity rate of all factors, foster and develop new drivers, mould an ever more leadership-type development that gives rein to first-mover advantages, and support the gradual evolution of our country’s economy towards one with higher-level forms, more optimized division of labour, and more rational structuring.
- Moving forward the profound convergence of informatization and industrialization. Accelerate the implementation of “China Manufacturing 2025”, promote innovation and development in the industrial Internet. With smart manufacturing as breakthrough point, accelerate converged innovation in information technologies and manufacturing technologies, products and equipment, popularize smart factory and smart manufacturing models, comprehensively enhance the smartness levels of enterprise research and development, production, management and services. Popularize converged informatization and industrialization management system standards, deepen the application of the Internet in the area of manufacturing, vigorously foster mass creation and design, online crowdsourcing, individualized ordering, service-type manufacturing and other such new models, perfect industry chains, and forge novel manufacturing systems.
- Accelerating agricultural modernization. Make informatization into a commanding height for agricultural modernization, promote the application of information technologies and smart equipment in agricultural production and commerce, foster Internet agriculture, establish and complete smart and networked agricultural production and commerce systems, accelerate the progress of agricultural industrialization. Accelerate networked monitoring of arable land, water, grasslands and other such important resources and major agricultural inputs, complete agricultural information monitoring, early warning and service systems, raise information management service capacity across the entire process of agricultural production, and ensure national food security and agricultural product quality security.
- Moving forward with the networked transformation of the services sector> Support the use of the Internet to launch service model innovation, accelerate the modernization of traditional service sectors, and raise the informatization levels of life services sectors. Vigorously foster design, consulting, finance, transportation, logistics, commerce and other such productive services sectors, promote the networked modernization of the services sector. Forcefully develop cross-border e-commerce, and build a flourishing and healthy e-commerce ecology system. Guide and standardize the development of Internet finance, and effectively prevent and resolve financial crises. Develop the sharing economy, and established networked and coordinated innovation levels.
- Stimulating regional coordinated development. Transform urbanization development models, resolve and limit information obstacles for urban and rural development, and stimulate the coordinated progress of urbanization and the construction of a new countryside. Strengthen top-level design, raise the informatization levels of urban infrastructure, operational management, public services and industrial development, and move forward the construction of novel smart cities in a hierarchical and categorized manner. Implement the action plans to let informatization promote the coordinated development of Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei, and to let informatization drive economic development in the Yangtze Economic Belt Support the Hong Kong and Macau regions in developing an information economy.
- Laying a new basis of development. Move forward with the construction of the Internet of things, optimize the arrangement of data centres, strengthen the coordinated development of big data, cloud computing and broadband networks, and strengthen the service capabilities of applications and infrastructure. Accelerate the networking and smartification of public infrastructure including electricity, civil aviation, railways, highways, waterways, irrigation, etc. Give rein to the supporting role of informatization to promote the construction of secure payments, the credit system, modern logistics and other such novel commercial infrastructure, create a structure with large markets, large circulation and large services, and lay a new cornerstone for economic development.
- Optimizing the policy environment. Perfect Internet enterprise investment access structures, establish a Chinese Internet investment fund, drive the development of a diversified investment market. Give rein to the role of the Chinese Internet development fund, organize a Chinese “Internet Plus” alliance, and support the growth of small, mid-size and micro Internet enterprises. Deeply move forward government streamlining and decentralization of powers, integrate letting go with management, and optimize services. Establish national demonstration bases for the information economy.
(2) Deepening e-governance, moving forward with the modernization of state governance
Adapt to the needs of national modernization and development, use informatized means to sense social situations, unblock communication channels and assist scientific policymaking even better. Persist in deepening e-governance applications, strive to resolve the problems of information fragmentation, horizontal and vertical parcelling of applications, separation of services, etc., and move forward the modernization of the country’s governance system and governance capacity through informatization.
- Constructing the governing capacity of a service Party. Move forward Party Committee informatization, and enhance the informatization protection capacity of Party policymaking and command. Fully use information technology to raise the scientization levels of Party members, cadres, talent management and service. Strengthen information openness, open up channels for democratic supervision, comprehensively raise informatization levels of clean government, risk prevention and inspection work, and strengthen the informatized supervision capacity over the exercise of power. Strengthen informatization guarantees for the construction of intra-Party regulations and structures, and give high regard to giving rein to the role of the Internet in formulating and propagating intra-Party regulations. Move forward information resource sharing, and enhance the informatization levels of all levels’ Party departments.
- Raising government informatization levels. Perfect departmental information sharing mechanisms, and establish state governance big data centres. Strengthen data exchange and sharing, processing and analysis, and monitoring and early warning concerning the operation of the economy, strengthen capacity to support macro-economic adjustment and policymaking. Deepen the application of informatization in finance and taxation, support the adjustment of financial relationships between the Centre and the localities, and stimulate reform of the fiscal system. Move forward with sharing of basic information concerning the population and enterprises, and effectively support reform of the household registration system and reform of rules for commercial affairs. Move forward the informatization of government openness, strengthen the construction of an Internet information data service platform and service platforms convenient for the people, and provide ever more high-quality and efficient online governmental services.
- Serving the construction of democratic rule of law. Establish and complete online information platforms, and tighten the relationship between People’s Congress delegates and the popular masses. Accelerate the construction of informatization for consultative conferences, and move forward the development of the broad and multi-level institutionalization of consultative democracy. Implement “strengthening the Procuratorate with science and technology”, and move forward the modernization of prosecutorial work. Build “smart courts”, raise the informatization levels of all stages, including acceptance, trials, judgments, enforcement and supervision, promote the openness of judicial and law enforcement information, and stimulate judicial fairness and justice.
- Raising capacity for social governance. Accelerate the innovation of three-dimensional social order control systems, raise public security smartness levels, and comprehensively move forward the construction of a safe and stable China. Build comprehensive service management platforms at the grass roots, promote the downward shift of government functions, and support community self-governance. Rely on online platforms to strengthen interaction between government and the people, guarantee citizens’ right to know, right to participate, right to express themselves and right to supervise. Promote the online acceptance of letters and petitions, and perfect mechanisms for the masses to coordinate their interests and guarantee their rights and interests.
- Completing market service and supervisions systems. Implement the “many licences into one” and “one licence, one code” systems, move forward with making services more convenient in areas including customs, taxation, industry and commerce, quality inspection, etc., strengthen supervision and services in media res and ex post, and realize the frontloading of service, and the backshifting of supervision. With citizens’ identity card numbers and the uniform social credit codes of legal persons and other organizations as a basis, build national uniform online credit information platforms, and build an environment of sincere trading. Build informatized tracing systems for food products, drugs, special kinds of equipment and other such important products, and perfect after-sales service quality monitoring. Strengthen online real-time supervision, monitoring and not-on-the-spot supervision, management and law enforcement, and raise the transparency of supervision.
- Perfecting integrated public service systems. Formulate online public service guidelines, support governments at all levels to integrate service resources, provide integrated online public services aimed at enterprises and citizens, and stimulate the transformation of public administration from handling affairs in isolation to coordinated governance. All departments must, on the basis of the needs of grass-roots services, open business systems and data interfaces, and promote the extension of e-government services to the grass roots.
- Innovating e-government operational management systems. Establish powerful national e-government comprehensive coordination mechanisms, formulate e-government management rules, and establish whole-process closed-loop management mechanisms covering planning, construction, application, management and evaluation. Forcefully move forward government procurement of services, try out and broaden cooperation models for government and social capital, encourage social forces to participate in the construction of e-government. Utilize applied cloud computing technologies, and integrate the transformation of existing applied systems.
(3) Letting online culture flourish, strengthen national soft power
The Internet is an important carrier to disseminate humankind’s advanced culture and carry forward positive energy. We must persist in the progressive orientation of advanced Socialist culture from beginning to end, persist in the correct public opinion orientation, abide by the laws of online communication, carry forward the main melody, arouse positive energy, forcefully foster and practice the Socialist core value view, develop a vigorous and upward online culture, tell China’s story in an ever more colourful manner, and let China’s voice speak ever more loudly and clearly.
- Enhancing online culture supply capacities. Implement the online content construction project. Accelerate the datafication of cultural resources, raise the scale and specialization levels of online cultural production. Integrate public cultural resources, build public cultural service systems, and enhance information service levels. Guide social forces to vigorously develop online cultural products that are suited to the characteristics of online communication and satisfy the people’s diversified needs.
- Raising online cultural communication capacity. Perfect online cultural dissemination mechanisms, and build modern culture dissemination systems. Promote the converged development of traditional media and new media, effectively integrate all kinds of media resources and production factors. Implement the excellent Chinese Culture online dissemination project, strengthen the construction of cultural dissemination capacities in the Hong Kong and Macau regions, perfect global information collection and dissemination networks, and progressively shape online international dissemination capabilities matched with our country’s international position.
- Strengthening online cultural battlefield construction. Expand and strengthen main Central news websites and focus local news websites, and standardize and guide the healthy and orderly development of commercial websites. Move forward with structural and mechanism innovation in focus news websites. Accelerate the digital transformation and technological upgrading of Party newspapers and periodicals, new agencies, radio and television stations. Promote the innovation of financial services models in culture, establish diverse investment systems for the online cultural industries. Encourage excellent Internet enterprises and cultural enterprises to build strong linkages, and foster a batch of novel cultural groups and media groups with international influence.
- Standardizing the online cultural communication order. Comprehensively use legal, administrative, economic and sectoral self-disciplinary measures, to standardize the online information dissemination order. Firmly resist the dissemination of unlawful and harmful information online, consolidate and magnify a healthy and upward mainstream public opinion. Perfect online cultural service market access and withdrawal mechanisms, expand online cultural management law enforcement, and attack acts of online infringement and piracy.
(IV) Innovating public services, guaranteeing and improving the people’s livelihood
Focus on the most real questions of interests, that the masses are most directly concerned with, forcefully move forward the informatization of social undertakings, optimize the allocation of public service resources, reduce application costs, provide information services that common people are able to use, can afford to use, and can use well, and stimulate the equalization of basic public services.
- Moving forward the informatization of education. Perfect educational information infrastructure and public service platforms, move forward with the joint construction, sharing and balanced deployment of high-quality digital education resources, establish online learning spaces suited to changing education models, and reduce the divides between regions, town and country, and schools. Establish open learning models in the online environment, encourage ever more schools to use online open course, explore the establishment of inter-school course sharing and course credit accreditation systems. Perfect access mechanisms, attract social forces to participate in the construction of massive open online courses, and support study by the whole population and life-long learning.
- Accelerating the informatization of scientific research. Strengthen informatization management in scientific research, and build open and transparent national scientific research management and programme evaluation mechanisms. Build scientific research informatization infrastructure covering the entire country, with shared resources, and enhance the informatization levels of scientific research. Accelerate the progress of the digitization of scientific research means, build coordinated online scientific research models, promote resource sharing and cross-regional cooperation in scientific research, and stimulate the transformation of science and technology innovation methods.
- Improving smart healthcare services. Perfect public health information service systems, move forward with nationwide electronic health file and electronic medical record data integration and sharing, implement healthcare information public welfare operations, and stimulate and standardize the development of big data applications in healthcare. Explore the establishment of marketized long-distance healthcare service models, operational mechanisms and management mechanisms, and stimulate high-quality healthcare resources to circulate vertically. Strengthen regional public health service resource integration, and explore health cooperatives and other such novel service forms. Use a new generation of information technology to satisfy diverse service needs, and promote healthcare treatments to transform into health services.
- Raising employment and social security informatization levels. Move forward with the nationwide networking of information concerning employment, care for the elderly, occupational injuries, unemployment, insurance, etc. Build employment and entrepreneurship information service systems, guide the orderly cross-regional circulation of labour resources, and stimulate full employment. Accelerate the popularization and enhancement of “one common card” in social security, implement cross-regional application and access, and realize that social security relationships are continued across regional boundaries and movements, and bills can be settled in different areas through the Heathcarenet. Accelerate the construction of accessibility on government websites, encourage social forces to provide individualized information services to the disabled.
- Implement the networked poverty relief action plan. Build poverty relief information service platforms, accelerate the pace of Internet construction in disadvantaged regions, broaden the coverage of glass fibre networks and broadband networks. Launch online public interest and poverty relief propaganda, encourage Internet information enterprises to link up with and assist disadvantaged regions, launch mobile applications adapted to the characteristics and needs of ethnic minority, border and distant regions, and build poverty relief tracking, monitoring and evaluation information systems.
(5) Serving the construction of an ecological civilization, helping beautiful China
Building an ecological civilization is a long-term great programme that affects the welfare of the people and the future of the nation. We must strive to resolve the problems of tense resource constraints, grave environmental pollution and degeneration of ecological systems, build a novel ecological environment governance system based on informatization, and accelerate the construction of a beautiful China with blue skies, green land and clear water.
- Innovating resource management and use methods. Launch uniform and accurate registration of state nature and ecological spaces. Integrate data concerning natural and ecological spaces, and optimize the spatial structure and supply timeframe of natural resource exploitation and use. Perfect natural resource supervision systems, progressively realize supervision over the entire process and with overall coverage, and raise capacities to control purposes. Explore the establishment of information management and trading systems for waste material, and shape circulatory use mechanisms for regenerating resources.
- Building novel ecological environment governance systems. Complete environmental information openness systems. Implement the ecological civilization and environmental protection monitoring informatization project, progressively ensure 24/7 monitoring of pollution sources, pollutants and the ecological environment, and raise capabilities for joint prevention and joint control of environmental pollution in regions and drainage areas. Promote the establishment of green, low-carbon circulatory development industry systems, and encourage localities meeting conditions to explore online trading for energy savings, emission rights, waste discharge rights and water rights.
(6) Accelerating a strong information army, building a modern military forces system
Vigorously adapt to new changes in national security circumstances, new trends in information technology development and new requirements for the objective of a strong military, unwaveringly put informatization forward as the development orientation for military modernization, implement the profound development strategy thinking of civil-military integration, and promote the leapfrogging development of military informatization from a new starting point.
- Strengthening systematic construction. Innovate and develop military informatization theories, strengthen concentrated management of informatization construction, give rein to the guiding role of warfare needs, and move forward with the organic integration of mechanization and informatization. Perfect information infrastructure, promote the integrated use of command information systems, expand information resource openness and use, build information security defence systems, and comprehensively raise capacity to win an informatized local war.
- Raising realistic warfare training levels. Adapt to the evolution trends of warfare forms, rely on network information systems, launch exploratory and antagonistic drills with information dominance, systems confrontations, accurate warfare, all-terrain motorization, and anti-network control as main characteristics, move forward with the transformation of military training towards actual war, and raise comprehensive battlefield control capabilities with seizing information power at the core.
- Deepening military struggle preparations. Fully give rein to the role of informatized integration and penetration, deepen national defence and military reform, and move forward the modernization of military organizations and forms. Complete national defence information mobilization and leadership management structures and mechanisms, perfect national defence information mobilization and emergency response protection planning. Forcefully foster talents needed for warfare, including command of informatized warfare, expertise in information technology, information system organization, operation, utilization and defence, and incessantly strengthen the ability of officers and men to use information systems and informatized equipment to win victory.
V, Incessantly optimizing the informatization development environment
(1) Moving forward with the construction of rule of law in informatization
Moving forward informatization and safeguarding cybersecurity according to the law is an important content for comprehensively governing the country according to the law. We must make rule of law in cyberspace into a focus point, give rein to the leading and driving role of legislation, strengthen the construction of law enforcement capabilities, raise the consciousness among all of society to consciously abide by the law, and create a good rule of law environment for informatization.
- Perfect the legal framework for informatization. Take network legislation as the focus point, accelerate the establishment of a framework of laws and regulations aimed at stimulating informatization development and strengthening cybersecurity, that cover network infrastructure, network service providers, network users and network information.
- Moving the process of informatization legislation forward in an orderly manner. Persist in giving precedence to urgent necessities, and accelerate the promulgation of urgently needed laws, regulations and normative documents. Strengthen the protection of network infrastructure, accelerate the formulation of the Cybersecurity Law, the Telecommunications Law and the E-commerce Law, and research the formulation of the Password Law. Strengthen the protection of network users’ rights, and research the formulation of a personal information protection law, and regulations to protect minors online. Standardize online information services and management, and revise the Internet information services management rules. Research the formulation of management regulations for electronic documents.. Perfect judicial interpretations, and promote the extension of the applicability of existing law to include cyberspace.
- Strengthening law enforcement capacity. Strengthen departmental information sharing and law enforcement cooperation, innovate law enforcement methods, and shape joint law enforcement forces. Rationalize online law enforcement structures and mechanisms, clarify law enforcement subjects, law enforcement powers and law enforcement standards.
(2) Strengthening governance of the online ecology
Cyberspace is a common spiritual garden for hundreds of millions of popular masses. If the air is fresh and the sky clear in cyberspace, and the ecology is good, the people’s interest is served. Persisting in positive energy is the general requirement, being able to keep things under control is the hard rationale, innovate and improve positive online propaganda, strengthen all-network, all-process management, build a cyberspace that is for the people, civilized, sincere, ruled by law, secure and innovative, and ensure that cyberspace is clean and crisp.
- Strengthening Internet management. Persist in the principles of positive use, scientific development, management according to the law, and guaranteeing security, establish a cyber governance system combining legal norms, administrative supervision, sectoral self-discipline, technological protection, public supervision and social education. Implement the online identity management rules, establish online sincerity evaluation systems, complete credit records for online service providers and netizens, perfect reward and punishment mechanisms. Strengthen management of Internet domain names, addresses and other such basic resources, and ensure that registration file information is truthful and accurate. Strengthen online public opinion management, all online dissemination platforms that engage in news information services, that have media characteristics and public opinion mobilization functions must be managed. Perfect Internet information service market access and withdrawal mechanisms according to the law.
- Shaping governance mechanisms with participation from all of society. Persist in governing the web according to the law, accelerate the establishment of collaborative Internet governance mechanisms with government in the lead, common participation by enterprises, social organizations, the technology community and citizens. Strengthen the major responsibility of Internet enterprises, guide enterprises toward fair competition, self-management and improvement of services. Establish and complete online social organizations, fully give rein to the role of social organizations in self-management and self-supervision. Strengthen the guidance of social forces, and vigorously foster “good Chinese netizens”.
- Safeguarding citizens’ lawful rights and interests. Protect the free and orderly flow of information, and realistically protect citizens’ basic rights and freedoms. Comprehensively standardize acts by enterprises involving the collection, storage and use of and personal information, and prevent information abuse. Strengthen personal data protection, and attack online illegality and crime according to the law.
(3) Safeguarding security in cyberspace
Establish correct cybersecurity views, persist in vigorous defence and effective response, strengthen cybersecurity defence capabilities, realistically safeguard national sovereignty, security and development interests in cyberspace.
- Safeguarding cyber sovereignty and national security. Manage online activities within the range of our country’s sovereignty according to the law, and persist in defending our country’s cyber sovereignty. Persist in preventing and attacking acts to divide the country, incite rebellion, overthrow the regime, destroy unity, steal secrets, etc., through the network.
- Guaranteeing the security of critical information infrastructure. Accelerate the construction of security protection systems for critical information infrastructure, strengthen the security protection of Party and government bodies as well as websites in focus areas, establish orderly sharing mechanisms for cybersecurity information with government, sectors and enterprises. Establish structures to implement cybersecurity inspections, important information technology products and services used in critical information infrastructure must be subject to security inspection. Complete tiered information security protection systems.
- Strengthening basic cybersecurity work. Strengthen basic theoretical research, research and development of crucial technologies and the construction of technological means in cybersecurity, establish and perfect technological support systems for national cybersecurity, and move forward cybersecurity standardization, authentication and appraisal work. Enhance all-weather, dynamic cybersecurity capabilities with omnidirectional sensing, carry out tiered protection, risk assessment, leak discovery and other such basic work well, perfect cybersecurity monitoring, early warming and major cybersecurity incident emergency response mechanisms. Implement the cybersecurity talent project, launch education concerning cybersecurity among the entire population, enhance the sophistication of online media, and strengthen the entire society’s cybersecurity consciousness and protection abilities.
VI, Institutional guarantees and organizational implementation
We must strengthen comprehensive coordination, powerfully integrate resources, shape joint forces for progress, realistically implement all strategic tasks, and ensure that strategic goals are realized on schedule.
(1) Strengthening organizational leadership. Persist in the concentrated and uniform guidance of the Central Leading Group for Cybersecurity and Informatization over national informatization development, major policies and initiatives in the area of informatization must be examined and approved by the Leading Group. All levels’ cybersecurity and informatization leading groups must strengthen comprehensive planning, research and resolve major problems concerning informatization development in their areas.
(2) Completing work mechanisms. The Office of the Central Leading Group for Cybersecurity and Informatization is responsible for the comprehensive coordination of the implementation of this Strategy Outline, supervision and inspection. All levels’ cybersecurity and informatization controlling departments must fully play their role in organization and coordination, strengthen cooperation between departments, sectors, localities and military regions, and shape informatization progress mechanisms with uniform leadership, a rational division of labour, clear responsibilities and smooth functioning. Accelerate the construction of a new type of informatization knowledge base with Chinese characteristics, and perfect expert consulting systems for major policies and major projects.
(3) Perfecting supplementary policies. All localities and all departments must effectively link up the tasks put forward in this Strategy Outline with their economic and social development plans, and simultaneously move them forward, they must also formulate “13th Five-Year” informatization development plans and corresponding specialized plans. Relevant departments must accelerate the perfection of supplementary policy measures in areas including industry, taxation, finance, science and technology, education, etc., accelerate financial input and management, focus on supporting informatization construction and network security protection in crucial, fundamental and common areas. Expand government procurement of services, innovate informatization financing mechanisms, implement policies beneficial to commercial operations and continuous business in the area of informatization, and provide conditions for social investment to participate in creation.
(4) Strengthening supervision and implementation. All localities and all departments must, according to the division of work, list detailed tasks, clarify time limits, and gradually implement them. Establish and perfect informatization statistics indicators and systems, strengthen informatization statistics supervision and evaluation work, organize the launch of annual inspections and outcome evaluation of implementation of the Strategy. Strengthen informatization work assessment, and make the assessment results into a factor to evaluate relevant leading cadres.