Chapter I: General provisions
Article 1: In order to strengthen management of content management staff in Internet news information service work units, safeguard the lawful rights and interests of staff and the social public, and stimulate the healthy and orderly development of internet news information services, on the basis of the “Cybersecurity Law of the People’s Republic of China” and the “Internet News Information Management Regulations”, these Rules are formulated. Read the rest of this entry »
Security Assessment and Management Regulations concerning New Technologies and New Applications in Internet News Information Services
Article 1: In order to standardize security assessment and management work concerning new technologies and new applications in Internet news information services, safeguard national security and the public interest, protect the lawful rights and interests of citizens, legal persons and other organizations, on the basis of the “Cybersecurity Law of the People’s Republic of China”, and the “Internet News Information Service Management Regulations”, these Regulations are formulated.
Article 2: These Regulations apply to national, provincial, autonomous region and municipal Internet information offices’ organization and execution of security assessments of new technologies and new applications concerning Internet news information services. Read the rest of this entry »
Yesterday, Xi Jinping presented his political report to the 19th Party Congress – a 32000 word behemoth comprehensively covering all areas of economic, political and social life. The report announces a new era in China’s historical progress. In CCP theory, history is divided in stages, which are characterised by various contradictions that are subordinate manifestations of one fundamental contradiction. Once that contradiction is solved, history moves to the next phase. Xi now announced that the primary contradiction is no longer the one defined by Deng Xiaoping: the tension between China’s material poverty and the needs of its population. Instead, Xi claims the major problem that must now be solved is China’s imbalanced development. In other words, GDP growth at all costs is out, in favour of a more comprehensive approach to social and economic governance. Technology will obviously play a central role in this regard, as a governance tool and a potential economic growth pole, but also as a source of potential risk and disruption. The journal China Information Security very usefully listed the excerpts referring to cybersecurity and informatization, which are translated here:
I, The work from the past five years and historical changes
Public culture service levels have incessantly risen, literature and art creation continues to flourish, cultural undertakings and cultural industries thrive and develop, Internet construction, management and use has incessantly been perfected, and the entire people’s fitness and competitive sports levels have developed comprehensively.
III, The thought and basic orientation of Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era and
(4) Persisting in new development ideas. […] Push forward the synchronized development of new kinds of industrialization, informatization, urbanization and agricultural modernization, actively participate in and promote the progress of economic globalization, and develop and ever higher-level, open economy, incessantly expand our country’s economic strength and comprehensive national strength.
(10) Persist in the overall view of national security. […] Comprehensively manage external security and internal security, territorial security and citizens’ security, traditional security and non-traditional security, our own security and common security, perfect national security structures and systems, strengthen the construction of national security capabilities, and determinedly defend the country’s sovereignty, security and development interests.
V, Implement new development ideas, build modernized economic systems
(1) Deepen supply-side structural reform. […] Accelerate the development of advanced manufacturing sectors, promote the profound convergence of the Internet, big data, artificial intelligence and the real economy, foster new growth points and create new drivers in areas such as mid- and high-end consumption, innovative leadership, greenness and low-carbon, the sharing economy, modern supply chains, human capital services and other such areas. […] Strengthen the construction of basic infrastructure networks for irrigation, railways, roads, waterways, aviation, pipelines, the electricity grid, information, logistics, etc.
(2) Accelerate the construction of an innovative country. […] Strengthen the use of basic research, expand the implementation of national major science and technology programmes, give prominence to critical and common technologies, advanced forerunner technologies, modern engineering technologies, disruptive technology innovation, in order to provide powerful support for the construction of a strong science and technology country, a strong quality country, a strong aviation country, a strong cyber country, a strong transportation country, a strong digital country and a smart society.
VII, Persist in cultural self-confidence, promote the flourishing and ascendance of Socialist culture
(1) Firmly grasp leadership power in ideological work. […] Deepen Marxist theory research and construction, accelerate the construction of philosophy and social science with Chinese characteristics, and strengthen the construction of new types of think tanks with Chinese characteristics. Give high regard to construction and innovation in means of dissemination, and raise the communication power, guiding power, influence and credibility of news and public opinion. Strengthen the construction of Internet content, establish comprehensive network governance systems, and create a clear and crisp cyber space.
VIII, Raising, guaranteeing and improving people’s living standards, strengthening and innovating social governance
(1) Giving priority to development of education. […] Promote the integrated development of urban and rural compulsory education, give high regard to rural compulsory education, run preschool education, special education and online education well, universalize education at the higher secondary stage, and strive to let every child enjoy fair and high-quality education.
(7) Effectively safeguard national security. National security is an important cornerstone to bring peace and stability to the nation, safeguarding national security is the locus of the fundamental interest of the people of all ethnicities in the entire country. We must perfect the national security strategy and national security policies, firmly safeguard national political security, and comprehensively advance security work in all areas. Complete national security systems, strengthen legal guarantees for national security, and raise capabilities to guard against and resist security risks. Closely guard against and resolutely attack all kinds of infiltration, subversive and destructive activities, violent and terrorist activities, ethnic separatist activities, and religious extremist activities. Strengthen national security education, strengthen the national security consciousness of the entire Party and the people in the entire country, and promote all of society to create and safeguard powerful polled efforts for national security.
X, Firmly march the path of a strong military with Chinese characteristics, comprehensively move national defence and military modernization forward
Adapt to new global military changes and development trends and national security demands, raise construction quality and efficiency, ensure that mechanization is basically realized by 2020, that informatization concentration sees major progress, and strategic capabilities increase greatly.
The military must prepare to wage war, all work must target the norm of combat effectiveness, the focus must be on waging war and waging war victoriously. Firmly prepare for military struggles in all strategic orientations, comprehensively advance military struggle preparation in traditional security areas and new strategic areas, develop new kinds of battle forces and protection forces, launch combat-type military training, strengthen the use of military forces, accelerate the development of military smartification, raise joint warfare capabilities and all-area warfare capabilities based on online information systems, effectively mould situations, manage and control crises, contain war, and fight war victoriously.
XII, Persist in the path of peaceful development, promote the construction of a community of common destiny for humanity.
At the same time, the world faces prominent instabilities and indeterminacies, global economic growth drivers are insufficient, the difference between rich and poor grows graver daily, regional hotspots and problems rise one after another, terrorism, cybersecurity, major epidemics, climate change and other such non-traditional security threats continue to proliferate, humanity faces many common challenges.
XIII, Unwaveringly, comprehensively and strictly govern the Party, incessantly raise the Party’s governing ability and leadership levels.
Strengthen reform and innovation skills, maintain a tenacious and enterprising spiritual bearing, be good at integrating real creativeness in moving work forward, and be good at using Internet technologies and informatized means to carry out work.
This translation was kindly provided by John Costello
Ministry of Industry and Information Technology Network  No. 202
Provincial, autonomous region, and municipal communications authorities, China Telecom Group Corporation, China Mobile Communications Corporation, China Unicom Group Corporation, China National Computer Emergency Technical Team/Coordination Center of China (CNCERT), China Information Communications Research Institute, National Industrial Information Security Development Research Center, China Internet Association, domain name registration management and service organs, internet companies, and cybersecurity enterprises:
In order to deepen the implementation of the spirit of General Secretary Xi Jinping’s important speeches on cybersecurity, actively respond to the dire and complex cybersecurity situation, to move forward robust public internet cybersecurity threat monitoring and mitigation mechanism, safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of citizens, legals person, and other organizations, and in accordance with “Cybersecurity Law of the People’s Republic of China” and other relevant laws and regulations, the “Public Internet Cybersecurity Threat Monitoring and Mitigation Measures”. Hereby issued to you, please realistically and effectively implement and carry out.
Ministry of Industry and Information Technology Read the rest of this entry »
This document was translated jointly by Graham Webster, Paul Triolo and Rogier Creemers
CAC Notice concerning the Public Solicitation of Opinions on the “Critical Information Infrastructure Security Protection Regulations (Opinion-seeking Draft)”
In order to guarantee the security of critical information infrastructure, based on the “Cybersecurity Law of the People’s Republic of China”, our Administration, jointly with relevant departments, has drafted the “Critical Information Infrastructure Security Protection Regulations (Opinion-seeking Draft)”, which is now made public for open solicitation of opinions. Relevant work units and individuals from all circles may, before 10 August, put forward opinions through the following ways:
1, Sending opinions in a letter form to: Beijing Xicheng Chegongzhuang Avenue 11, CAC Cybersecurity Coordination Bureau, Post Code 100044, and clearly indicate “opinion solicitation” on the envelope
2, Sending an e-mail to: email@example.com.
10 July 2017
Critical Information Infrastructure Security Protection Regulations
Chapter 1: General principles Read the rest of this entry »
This translation was kindly provided by Paul Triolo
Article 1 These Measures are developed with a view to enhancing the secure and controllable levels of network products and services, guarding against cyber security risks, and safeguarding the national security, and in accordance with the laws and regulations such as National Security Law of the People’s Republic of China and the Cybersecurity Law of the People’s Republic of China.
Article 2 Important network products and services procured for use in networks and information systems that touch on national security are subject to a cybersecurity review.
Article 3 A cybersecurity review shall be conducted for network products and services and their supply chains, in a manner that combines enterprise commitments with public supervision, combines third-party assessments with government continuous regulation, and combines laboratory testing with on-site checks, on-line monitoring and background investigations. Read the rest of this entry »
This translation was kindly provided by John Costello
State Internet Information Office
Decree No. 2
“Regulations for Internet Content Management Administration Law Enforcement Procedures” approved in a meeting of the State Internet Information Office is hereby announced, to be implemented from June 1, 2017 onward.
Director Xu Lin
May 2, 2017
Regulations for Internet Content Management Administration Law Enforcement Procedures Read the rest of this entry »
State Council General Office
GBF No. (2016)98
All provincial, autonomous region and municipal people’s governments, all State Council ministries and commissions, all directly subordinate bodies:
In order to carry forward the traditional virtue of sincerity, strengthen the sincerity consciousness of members of society, strengthen the construction of a personal sincerity system, praise sincerity and punish trust-breaking, raise the credit levels of the entire society and create a beneficial credit environment, with the approval of the State Council, these Opinions are hereby put forward. Read the rest of this entry »
This translation was published first on China Law Translate, and is reposted here with kind permission.
Article 1: These Provisions are formulated on the basis of the “Standing Committee of the National of the National People’s Congress’s Decision on Strengthening Protections for Online Information”, the “State Council’s Notification of Authorization of the State Internet Information Office to be Responsible for Efforts to Management Internet Information Content”, “Measures for the Management of Internet Information Services”, and the “Provisions on the Management of Internet News Information Services” so as to strengthen management of internet live-streaming services, to protect the lawful rights and interests of citizens, legal persons, and other organizations, safeguard national security and the public interest.
Today, it was reported that China’s draft cybersecurity law has been presented to the National People’s Congress for a third reading. It is widely expected that this reading will accept the law, which will thus be promulgated soon. The following is a translation of a Xinhua report, which outlines the changes that have been made.
The third deliberation draft of the Cybersecurity Law was submitted to the NPC Standing Committee for deliberation on the 31st. The NPC Legal Committee indicated in its report concerning the draft’s deliberation results, that the third draft made a partial revision on the basis of the second draft, including a further planned definition of the scope of crucial information infrastructure; it also provides corresponding punishment measures against foreign organizations and individuals attacking or destroying our country’s crucial information infrastructure.
Planned further definition of the scope of critical information infrastructure. Read the rest of this entry »
Information security in industrial control systems affects economic development, social stability and national security. In order to enhance the information security protection levels of industrial control systems in industrial enterprises (hereafter simply named industrial control security), and ensure the security of industrial control systems, these Guidelines are formulated.
These Guidelines apply to enterprises utilizing industrial control systems, as well as enterprise and undertaking work units engaging in industrial control system planning, design, construction, operations and maintenance, as well as evaluation.
Enterprises utilizing industrial control systems shall conduct industrial control security protection work well, on the basis of the following eleven aspects. Read the rest of this entry »
Drive Modernization With Informatization: Help Realize the Chinese Dream of the Great Rejuvenation of the Chinese Nation
This article was published in People’s Daily and reposted on the website of the Cyberspace Administration of China. It was kindly translated by Lincoln Davidson, who researches Chinese cyber policy.
By Zhuang Rongwen
July 28, 2016
Since the Party’s 18th Party Congress, under Comrade Xi Jinping as General Secretary, Party Central has placed a high level of importance on cybersecurity and informatization work, establishing the Central Leading Group for Cyberspace Affairs, pronouncing the major conclusion that “without cybersecurity there can be no national security,” and drawing up the grand blueprint for constructing a cyber superpower. As the guiding document of the next ten years of our nation’s informatization development, the National Informatization Development Strategic Outline (hereafter, “the Strategic Outline”) concentrates and embodies Party Central’s new thinking, new conclusions, and new deployments since the 18th Party Congress, sounding the clarion call of the times for walking the road of informatization development with Chinese characteristics and constructing a cyber superpower, launching the new journey of China’s informatization development. Read the rest of this entry »
Central Committee General Office
State Council General Office
27 July 2016
In the present world, information technology innovation changes every day, and a tide of informatization, characterized by digitization, networking and smartification has vigorously arisen. Without informatization, there is no modernization. Adapting to and leading a new normal in economic development, and strengthening new development drivers, require informatization to penetrate into the entire process of our country’s modernization, and the acceleration and liberation of the huge potential of informatization development. Driving modernization with informatization and building a strong network power are major measures in the “Four Comprehensive” strategic positioning, and are necessary choices to realize the “Two Centenaries” struggle objective and the Chinese Dream of the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
This Strategy Outline is an adjustment and development of the “National Informatization Development Strategy 2006-2020” on the basis of new circumstances, it is a programmatic document to standardize and guide national informatization development in the next ten years it is an important component part of the national strategy system, and is an important basis for the formulation of plans and policies in the area of informatization. Read the rest of this entry »