State Council General Office
GBF No. (2016)98
All provincial, autonomous region and municipal people’s governments, all State Council ministries and commissions, all directly subordinate bodies:
In order to carry forward the traditional virtue of sincerity, strengthen the sincerity consciousness of members of society, strengthen the construction of a personal sincerity system, praise sincerity and punish trust-breaking, raise the credit levels of the entire society and create a beneficial credit environment, with the approval of the State Council, these Opinions are hereby put forward. Read the rest of this entry »
This translation was published first on China Law Translate, and is reposted here with kind permission.
Article 1: These Provisions are formulated on the basis of the “Standing Committee of the National of the National People’s Congress’s Decision on Strengthening Protections for Online Information”, the “State Council’s Notification of Authorization of the State Internet Information Office to be Responsible for Efforts to Management Internet Information Content”, “Measures for the Management of Internet Information Services”, and the “Provisions on the Management of Internet News Information Services” so as to strengthen management of internet live-streaming services, to protect the lawful rights and interests of citizens, legal persons, and other organizations, safeguard national security and the public interest.
Today, it was reported that China’s draft cybersecurity law has been presented to the National People’s Congress for a third reading. It is widely expected that this reading will accept the law, which will thus be promulgated soon. The following is a translation of a Xinhua report, which outlines the changes that have been made.
The third deliberation draft of the Cybersecurity Law was submitted to the NPC Standing Committee for deliberation on the 31st. The NPC Legal Committee indicated in its report concerning the draft’s deliberation results, that the third draft made a partial revision on the basis of the second draft, including a further planned definition of the scope of crucial information infrastructure; it also provides corresponding punishment measures against foreign organizations and individuals attacking or destroying our country’s crucial information infrastructure.
Planned further definition of the scope of critical information infrastructure. Read the rest of this entry »
Information security in industrial control systems affects economic development, social stability and national security. In order to enhance the information security protection levels of industrial control systems in industrial enterprises (hereafter simply named industrial control security), and ensure the security of industrial control systems, these Guidelines are formulated.
These Guidelines apply to enterprises utilizing industrial control systems, as well as enterprise and undertaking work units engaging in industrial control system planning, design, construction, operations and maintenance, as well as evaluation.
Enterprises utilizing industrial control systems shall conduct industrial control security protection work well, on the basis of the following eleven aspects. Read the rest of this entry »
Drive Modernization With Informatization: Help Realize the Chinese Dream of the Great Rejuvenation of the Chinese Nation
This article was published in People’s Daily and reposted on the website of the Cyberspace Administration of China. It was kindly translated by Lincoln Davidson, who researches Chinese cyber policy.
By Zhuang Rongwen
July 28, 2016
Since the Party’s 18th Party Congress, under Comrade Xi Jinping as General Secretary, Party Central has placed a high level of importance on cybersecurity and informatization work, establishing the Central Leading Group for Cyberspace Affairs, pronouncing the major conclusion that “without cybersecurity there can be no national security,” and drawing up the grand blueprint for constructing a cyber superpower. As the guiding document of the next ten years of our nation’s informatization development, the National Informatization Development Strategic Outline (hereafter, “the Strategic Outline”) concentrates and embodies Party Central’s new thinking, new conclusions, and new deployments since the 18th Party Congress, sounding the clarion call of the times for walking the road of informatization development with Chinese characteristics and constructing a cyber superpower, launching the new journey of China’s informatization development. Read the rest of this entry »
Central Committee General Office
State Council General Office
27 July 2016
In the present world, information technology innovation changes every day, and a tide of informatization, characterized by digitization, networking and smartification has vigorously arisen. Without informatization, there is no modernization. Adapting to and leading a new normal in economic development, and strengthening new development drivers, require informatization to penetrate into the entire process of our country’s modernization, and the acceleration and liberation of the huge potential of informatization development. Driving modernization with informatization and building a strong network power are major measures in the “Four Comprehensive” strategic positioning, and are necessary choices to realize the “Two Centenaries” struggle objective and the Chinese Dream of the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
This Strategy Outline is an adjustment and development of the “National Informatization Development Strategy 2006-2020” on the basis of new circumstances, it is a programmatic document to standardize and guide national informatization development in the next ten years it is an important component part of the national strategy system, and is an important basis for the formulation of plans and policies in the area of informatization. Read the rest of this entry »
Seeking Truth 2016/12
– In the present era, data has become a national basic strategic resource, bug data is gaining an ever more important influence on the operational mechanisms of the global economy, society’s way of life and national governing capability. The Party Centre and the State Council are giving the development of big data and innovation of application in high regard, and the 5th Plenum of the 19th Party Congress clearly put forward the implementation of the national big data strategy.
– The scientific and technological revolution is moving forward rapidly, which is especially due to the advent of big data era, which urgently requires governmental governing to transform from closed management to open governance, from unidirectional management to coordinated governance, from passive influence to active service, from qualitative management to quantitative management, from extensive management to detailed management, from operational management to conventional management, and so to realize a transformation of social governance thinking, improvement in social governance methods, progress of governmental policymaking technology, the upgrading of risk control capacity, the recreation of public management workflows, and the enhancement of social coordination in governance.
– We are entering the Internet era and the big data era, public goods and public services must progressively transform from being “supply-oriented” to being “demand oriented”, from focusing on “service coverage” to focusing on “service experience”, and from focusing on “passive provision” to “active provision”.
– The first step to enhance the government’s governing capacity with big data is to transform the traditional concentration of work in offices, and the paper transmission of public documents between different departments into paperless, networked and virtualized new methods, ensure the informatization of public affairs workflows, and use the Internet to realize the online operation of governmental affairs.
– What we must guard against is that, if there is no openness and sharing of cross-regional, high-quantity, specialized data, using big data to upgrade the government’s governing capability is an empty phrase; but if we completely fail to differentiate which data should be opened op or not, it may bring great privacy and secrecy leaks, and the disaster of great economic fluctuations. Read the rest of this entry »
This is the National People’s Congress’ official explanation of the changes made in the Second Reading Draft of the Cybersecurity Law.
I, Some Standing Committee Members suggested that the content of Article 11 of the Draft, concerning the national cybersecurity strategy, be moved to the General Principles, to clarify its important position. Some Standing Committee Members, localities and departments pointed out that, in order to better maintain sovereignty in cyberspace, and to vigorously and actively respond to cyber attacks and destruction at home and abroad, State measures to maintain cybersecurity should be further strengthened, in the corresponding articles, content concerning resisting domestic and foreign cybersecurity threats, protection of the security of critical information infrastructure, punishment of online law-breaking and crime, maintaining order in cyberspace, etc., has been added. The Legal Committee praised the abovementioned opinion, and suggested the following revision be made to the draft: first, the content of Article 11 be moved to the General Principles, and be revised as: the State formulates and incessantly perfects a cybersecurity strategy, which clarifies the basic requirements and main objectives of ensuring cybersecurity, puts forward cybersecurity policies, work tasks and measures for focus areas (Second Reading Draft Article 4); second, a provision is added: the State adopts measures to monitor, defend against, and deal with cybersecurity risks and threats originating from inside and outside of the territory of the People’s Republic of China, to protect critical information infrastructure from attack, intrusion, interference and destruction, to punish unlawful and criminal cyber activities according to the law, and maintain security and order in cyberspace (Second Reading Draft Article 5). Read the rest of this entry »
Article 1: In order to strengthen management of mobile Internet application (apps) information services, protect the lawful rights of citizens, legal persons and other organizations, safeguard national security and the public interest, on the basis of the “National People’s Congress Standing Committee Decision concerning Strengthening Online Information Protection” and the “State Council Notice concerning Authorizing the Cyberspace Administration of China to Take Responsibility of Internet Information Content Management”, these Regulations are formulated.
Joint Statement by the President of the People’s Republic of China and the President of the Russian Federation concerning Coordinating the Promotion of Development in Information and Cyberspace
The heads of state of the People’s Republic of China and the Russian Federation stated that, following the rapid progress of information infrastructure and information and telecommunications technology, information and cyberspace have deeply changed the production and lives of humanity, and powerfully promote social development. A secure, stable and flourishing information and cyberspace is of major importance to the peaceful development of both countries and the world. Both countries will jointly devote themselves to furthering development in information and cyberspace, to even better enrich the people of both countries and the people of the world.
We believe that information and cyberspace is facing security challenges that become graver every day, information technology abuse is grave, and various countries, including China and Russia, have important common interests and space for cooperation, they should therefore, on the basis of mutual respect and mutual trust, comprehensively engage in substantive dialogue and collaboration on the topic of guaranteeing information and cyberspace security and furthering the development of information and cyberspace. Read the rest of this entry »
The full text of Xi Jinping’s speech has not been published. The following is a translation of the Xinhua report.
Update 26 March: the full text has been published, and a translation is available here.
Xi Jinping Chairs Cybersecurity and Informatization Work Conference, Stresses that We Must Be One Step Ahead in Practicing New Development Ideas, and Let the Internet Enrich the Country and the People Even Better,
Li Keqiang and Liu Yunshan in attendance.
CCP General Secretary, President, CMCC Chairman and Chairman of the Central Leading Group for Cybersecurity and Informatization Xi Jinping chaired the Cybersecurity and Informatization Work Conference that was convened in Beijing on the morning of the 19th, and gave an important speech stressing that promoting our country’s economic and social development according to the development ideas of innovation, coordination, greenness, openness and sharing is the overall requirement and general trend for our country’s development in the present and future periods, the development of our country’s Internet undertaking must adapt to this general trend, we must be one step ahead in practicing new development ideas, move forward the construction of a strong Internet power, promote the development of our country’s online information undertaking, and let the Internet enrich the country and the people even better. Read the rest of this entry »
Persisting in Respect for the Principle of Cyber Sovereignty, Promoting the Construction of a Community of Common Destiny in Cyberspace
The original text of this article was published in Seeking Truth, on 29 February 2016.
Studying on Understanding and Reflecting on the Spirit of General Secretary Xi Jinping’s Important Speech at the 2nd World Internet Conference
– The Internet is a new space and a new garden for humanity, it requires new rules and a new order. Persisting in the four principles of respect for cyber sovereignty, safeguarding peace and security, stimulating openness and collaboration, and building a good order, as well as the five standpoints of accelerating the construction of global network infrastructure, forging shared platforms for online cultural exchange, promoting innovation and development of the network economy, guaranteeing cybersecurity, and building an Internet governance system, have opened up the “Wuzhen Process” for global Internet development and governance.
– The thriving of malpractice in international cyberspace governance is rooted in the question of sovereignty. Cyber sovereignty is rooted in modern legal theory, and is the extension of national sovereignty in cyberspace. Respect for cyber sovereignty is a necessary requirement for opposing cyber hegemony, it is am important guarantee for safeguarding peace and security, it is a basic precondition for persisting in openness and collaboration, and is a firm basis for building a desirable order.
– Cyberspace is a common space of activity for humankind, all countries should strengthen communication, broaden consensus and deepen collaboration, to jointly build a community of common destiny in cyberspace. Respect for cyber sovereignty is dialectically one with building a community of common destiny in cyberspace, cyber sovereignty is the precondition for building a community of common destiny in cyberspace, and the community of common destiny in cyberspace is a guarantee for cyber sovereignty.
– China is a firm advocate and powerful defender of cyber sovereignty, it persists in correctly handling the relationships between freedom and order, security and development, openness and autonomy in cyberspace, it is exploring and marching an Internet governance path with Chinese characteristics. China will further move forward the reform of the global Internet governance system, promote the formulation of more balanced international norms for cyberspace that reflect the desires and interests of the absolute majority of countries, to jointly promote the healthy development of the Internet. Read the rest of this entry »